Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The Top 10 Hoplites of the The Peloponnesian Wars (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=325900)

frankbmd 10-06-2022 10:25 AM

The Top 10 Hoplites of the The Peloponnesian Wars

I hate to be regarded as a malcontent or contrarian and have enjoyed baseball since a very early age. However I find the continuing conversation on the site regarding who should or shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame, the ranking various subsets of dead baseball players, and the speculation about how many home runs Judge would hit in 1923 or how many Ruth would hit in 2023 a bit jejune (look it up). Everyone who participates in such threads disagrees with everyone else and very few disagreements are settled. It's like trying to get 100% on a final exam where there isn't a correct answer. On Net54 everyone isn't even graded on a curve (not a curveball by the way).

Granted, everyone is entitled to an opinion, but the relevance of everyone's opinion is sadly lacking. We rely on analytics that didn't exist 100 years ago. Let's face it, Ducky Medwick and Wahoo Crawford didn't have a WAR. They are rightly classified as prewar, but not preWAR. Statistics are wonderful and I love them, but I never forget the basic truth, Figures lie and liars figure.

So what's my point. The countless rating and ranking threads of old dead ballplayers could be replaced by the title of this thread. Maybe we should just speculate on the hammer price of a gem mint 2500 year old rookie Hoplite card.

frankbmd 10-06-2022 10:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
From my hoplitodromos collection

Attachment 537075

first included in the 520 BC olympics.

Eat your heart out Goldin. :D

autograf 10-06-2022 10:35 AM

Your edibles may be losing their efficacy.......jus' sayin'

G1911 10-06-2022 10:57 AM

I must cast my vote for my main man, Thucydides, as the #1. I know there’s some hot takes on here:

1. Thucydides
2. Brasidas
3. Alcibiades
4. Pericles
5. Nicias
6. Cleon
7. Gylippus
8. Lysander
9. Antiochus
10. Mindarus

BobC 10-06-2022 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 2270711)
I hate to be regarded as a malcontent or contrarian and have enjoyed baseball since a very early age. However I find the continuing conversation on the site regarding who should or shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame, the ranking various subsets of dead baseball players, and the speculation about how many home runs Judge would hit in 1923 or how many Ruth would hit in 2023 a bit jejune (look it up). Everyone who participates in such threads disagrees with everyone else and very few disagreements are settled. It's like trying to get 100% on a final exam where there isn't a correct answer. On Net54 everyone isn't even graded on a curve (not a curveball by the way).

Granted, everyone is entitled to an opinion, but the relevance of everyone's opinion is sadly lacking. We rely on analytics that didn't exist 100 years ago. Let's face it, Ducky Medwick and Wahoo Crawford didn't have a WAR. They are rightly classified as prewar, but not preWAR. Statistics are wonderful and I love them, but I never forget the basic truth, Figures lie and liars figure.

So what's my point. The countless rating and ranking threads of old dead ballplayers could be replaced by the title of this thread. Maybe we should just speculate on the hammer price of a gem mint 2500 year old rookie Hoplite card.

Very astute point Frank! ++++

raulus 10-06-2022 11:05 AM

I mean…arguing with complete strangers about piffle is one of the primary reasons why Al Gore invented the internet.

So I say…let the debate rage. Rage on, my friends!

boneheadandrube 10-06-2022 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G1911 (Post 2270723)
I must cast my vote for my main man, Thucydides, as the #1. I know there’s some hot takes on here:

1. Thucydides
2. Brasidas
3. Alcibiades
4. Pericles
5. Nicias
6. Cleon
7. Gylippus
8. Lysander
9. Antiochus
10. Mindarus

11. Xerxes

G1911 10-06-2022 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boneheadandrube (Post 2270735)
11. Xerxes

I think Persian Kings of Kings from before the war just can’t rack up enough Greek WAR to crack the top 10, but what a talent Xerxes I was.

EddieP 10-06-2022 11:27 AM

Quote:

1. Thucydides
2. Brasidas
3. Alcibiades
4. Pericles
5. Nicias
6. Cleon
7. Gylippus
8. Lysander
9. Antiochus
10. Mindarus

I’d rank Pericles as #1 since he was the General. Granted Thucydides wrote about it but I would rank him somewhere near the middle. But how can you leave out Socrates?

“An earlier post considered the Melian massacre and the Athenian conduct of war during the Peloponnesian War (link). Since we know that Socrates served as an armored infantry soldier during that war (a hoplite), it is reasonable to ask whether Socrates would have carried out atrocious orders involving the execution of prisoners, enslavement of women and children, and other acts of retaliation and punishment against the enemies of Athens.
In particular, would Socrates the hoplite have obeyed the order to slaughter the innocent? Ancient historian Mark Anderson offers a detailed analysis of the known context of Athenian warfare and Socrates' military history, and concludes that Socrates did not express moral opposition to these acts of war (Mark Anderson, "Socrates as Hoplite"; link). Anderson argues at length that Socrates was a hoplite during exactly these kinds of campaigns of retaliation, and that he never expressed any moral objection to them. Against the arguments of Gregory Vlastos and other scholars of Athenian philosophy, Anderson argues that the historical record of Socrates’ military service is fairly clear, and it is evident that his participation was voluntary, courageous, extended, and supportive. Anderson argues on the basis of these facts that Socrates did not offer moral objections to this dimension of Athenian military strategy.“

https://understandingsociety.blogspo...s-hoplite.html

Leon 10-06-2022 11:28 AM

Quote:

Your observations are well received. I can't imagine anymore new Judge or whomever 2022 anything threads on the front page, at the current time. But it's some exciting baseball that can harken back to Ruth, Cobb, Matty etc...
To your point about countless ranking threads, I say poppycock!

We can always use more T206 threads!

https://luckeycards.com/mattyw.jpg

packs 10-06-2022 11:29 AM

Athens had a prospect by the name of Testicles during the early part of the war. Everyone thought he might win rookie of the war but a groin injury took him out.

G1911 10-06-2022 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EddieP (Post 2270739)
I’d rank Pericles as #1 since he was the General. Granted Thucydides wrote about it but I would rank him somewhere near the middle. But how can you leave out Socrates?

“An earlier post considered the Melian massacre and the Athenian conduct of war during the Peloponnesian War (link). Since we know that Socrates served as an armored infantry soldier during that war (a hoplite), it is reasonable to ask whether Socrates would have carried out atrocious orders involving the execution of prisoners, enslavement of women and children, and other acts of retaliation and punishment against the enemies of Athens.
In particular, would Socrates the hoplite have obeyed the order to slaughter the innocent? Ancient historian Mark Anderson offers a detailed analysis of the known context of Athenian warfare and Socrates' military history, and concludes that Socrates did not express moral opposition to these acts of war (Mark Anderson, "Socrates as Hoplite"; link). Anderson argues at length that Socrates was a hoplite during exactly these kinds of campaigns of retaliation, and that he never expressed any moral objection to them. Against the arguments of Gregory Vlastos and other scholars of Athenian philosophy, Anderson argues that the historical record of Socrates’ military service is fairly clear, and it is evident that his participation was voluntary, courageous, extended, and supportive. Anderson argues on the basis of these facts that Socrates did not offer moral objections to this dimension of Athenian military strategy.“

https://understandingsociety.blogspo...s-hoplite.html

This really comes down to a debate on how we value value. I ranked (totally didn’t just randomly jot the first 10 leaders of the war that came to me…. I would never do that!) them based upon their contributions to the war and only the war, not their broader contributions to humanity. If we’re ranking on lifetime net WAR, I would also put Socrates #1, with 365.36482847288483 points by my advanced math whose formula I cannot share for reasons.

My formula also shows that Socrates-Plato-Aristotle is the most valuable direct lineage teaching line in world history with a hair over 1,000 WAR.

Peter_Spaeth 10-06-2022 11:33 AM

I thought Thucydides was exiled for his military failures. Odd choice for #1.

frankbmd 10-06-2022 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boneheadandrube (Post 2270735)
11. Xerxes

Quote:

Originally Posted by G1911 (Post 2270738)
I think Persian Kings of Kings from before the war just can’t rack up enough Greek WAR to crack the top 10, but what a talent Xerxes I was.

Neither a Spartan or an Athenian and certainly above the Hoplite pay grade, Xerxes was on the wrong side of the fence for this thread.

MikeGarcia 10-06-2022 11:40 AM

Any Excuse :

;; ..". Let's face it, Ducky Medwick and Wahoo Crawford didn't have a WAR."
I was looking for an excuse to show off my Ducky Medwick 1934 Gold Medal Wheaties Premiums anyway. :

..http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/204295...EDWICK_NEW.JPG

.. they were only off by two years , and "Goudey" was a pretty good guess .; I mean hey , c'mon , what do you expect for only $28 in fees .

frankbmd 10-06-2022 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 2270740)
Your observations are well received. I can't imagine anymore new Judge or whomever 2022 anything threads on the front page, at the current time. But it's some exciting baseball that can harken back to Ruth, Cobb, Matty etc...
To your point about countless ranking threads, I say poppycock!

We can always use more T206 threads!

I'll see your poppycock and raise you a falderol. :eek::D

Peter_Spaeth 10-06-2022 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 2270751)
I'll see your poppycock and raise you a falderol. :eek::D

Platinum?

G1911 10-06-2022 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2270744)
I thought Thucydides was exiled for his military failures. Odd choice for #1.

He was scapegoated by the fake news.

wolf441 10-06-2022 01:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The JD Drew of ancient Greece...

Golfcollector 10-06-2022 03:11 PM

I am partial to Pyrgopolynices, or even Palastreo who was pretty fast in the ol coloseum days.

Northviewcats 10-06-2022 03:25 PM

Every thread need a card

2 Attachment(s)
Didn't have a card of a Hoplite. But perhaps a card of a 4th century BC Greek warship would suffice.

JollyElm 10-06-2022 03:38 PM

Never ever forget to honor the service staff!! For centuries, Greeks have told wonderful stories about the man known as 'Sid Spinach' of Delos, whose carts sold very affordable spanakopita to the Spartan forces, keeping them well fed and ready for battle.

RCMcKenzie 10-06-2022 04:25 PM

I have to say that I enjoy the baseball threads quite a bit more than this one.

Eric72 10-06-2022 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 2270741)
Athens had a prospect by the name of Testicles during the early part of the war. Everyone thought he might win rookie of the war but a groin injury took him out.

It took a pair of brass one to post that.

I wonder how many people just skimmed right by and didn’t read it.

brianp-beme 10-06-2022 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric72 (Post 2270839)

I wonder how many people just skimmed right by and didn’t read it.

I groined when I read it.

Brian

Tom S. 10-06-2022 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 2270741)

That's nuts!

ValKehl 10-06-2022 09:34 PM

Quote:

Statistics are wonderful and I love them, but I never forget the basic truth, Figures lie and liars figure.

Frank, long, long ago in an Accounting 101 class, I was taught that the basic truth is, "Figures don't lie, but liars can figure."

frankbmd 10-06-2022 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ValKehl (Post 2270949)
Frank, long, long ago in an Accounting 101 class, I was taught that the basic truth is, "Figures don't lie, but liars can figure."

Or

Figures can lie when liars figure.

RCFire82 10-06-2022 11:36 PM

Jejune: naive, simplistic, and superficial.
Poppycock: nonsense.
Falderol: foolish talk.

Michael B 10-07-2022 03:16 AM

Quote:

1. Thucydides
2. Brasidas
3. Alcibiades
4. Pericles
5. Nicias
6. Cleon
7. Gylippus
8. Lysander
9. Antiochus
10. Mindarus

As part of my senior thesis class 'Works of Great Historians' we had to read part of "History of the Peloponnesian War" by Thucydides. Fortunately, it was the gravy class for history majors and you did not have to write a thesis. Show up for the class and participate in the discussions.

ALBB 10-07-2022 05:50 AM

thread

I find this quite funny and amusing !

gonzo 10-07-2022 06:49 AM

No love for Xenophon?
I know he only came in at the very end of the Dead Greek Era, and he did his best work over in the Persian Central League, but he should be in the Hall at least as an Ambassador of the Phalanx.

obiwan1129 10-07-2022 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gonzo (Post 2271018)
No love for Xenophon?
I know he only came in at the very end of the Dead Greek Era, and he did his best work over in the Persian Central League, but he should be in the Hall at least as an Ambassador of the Phalanx.

No mention of Cyrus either?

Pfffttt

steve B 10-07-2022 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyElm (Post 2270822)
Never ever forget to honor the service staff!! For centuries, Greeks have told wonderful stories about the man known as 'Sid Spinach' of Delos, whose carts sold very affordable spanakopita to the Spartan forces, keeping them well fed and ready for battle.

And we can't forget Dibleridies, who sold meat pies with a tiered pricing structure.
Meat pie 1 drachm,
identified meat pie 2 drachms. *

*Yes, a literary reference, hopefully there are other fans here.

frankbmd 10-07-2022 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCFire82 (Post 2270961)
Jejune: naive, simplistic, and superficial.
Poppycock: nonsense.
Falderol: foolish talk.

It looks like Net54 has a new linguistic scholar on board. He still needs to satisfy the punctuation requirements and the spelling test though, before getting the title of “Grammar Marm”, a respected seat in the boardroom. If he knows that yawl is a sailboat, he is well on his way.

G1911 10-07-2022 09:12 AM

Cyrus the Great predates the war a century, and Cyrus the Younger wasn’t fighting in that war. The Persian league never gets credit.

Xenophon wrote the sequel, but he didn’t have a lot of involvement with the Peloponnesian War directly.

Everyone should have to write a thesis on Thucydides.

I wonder how fast Alcibiades could throw a rock, and if he could make it curve.

Peter_Spaeth 10-07-2022 09:18 AM

Falderol also means: 2. a trifle; gimcrack; gew-gaw. As in the title track from Guys and Dolls.

frankbmd 10-07-2022 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2271068)
Falderol also means: 2. a trifle; gimcrack; gew-gaw. As in the title track from Guys and Dolls.

There was a conflict between the Fitness industry and the Plumbers and Pipefitters ultimately resolved in court regarding gimcrack.

The Fitness folks wanted to change the spelling to gymcrack for patrons with excessively tight or low-riding yoga pants.

The plumbers prevailed however and deleted the gim creating what is now known simply as a plumber’s crack.

judsonhamlin 10-07-2022 10:01 AM

I think Coaches Corner has a battle-used spear signed by Xerxes coming up for auction.

G1911 10-07-2022 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by judsonhamlin (Post 2271091)
I think Coaches Corner has a battle-used spear signed by Xerxes coming up for auction.

I hope Topps doesn’t buy it to cut up for their new Antiquated Antiquity Antiques relic inserts for 2023 Allen and Ginter.

Yoda 10-07-2022 10:30 AM

While Pericles held a good glove for the Athenian side, he could never hit a split finger fast ball and was eventually sent down to AAA Thebes.

Aquarian Sports Cards 10-07-2022 01:03 PM

I almost posted a top 10 hot plates of Polynesian Apartments thread but thought that might be silly...

Exhibitman 10-07-2022 02:18 PM

https://youtu.be/6b7r5jIEe9s

https://th.bing.com/th/id/R.49ce37ce...pid=ImgRaw&r=0

Immanuel Kant was a real pissant
Who was very rarely stable.
Heidegger, Heidegger was a boozy beggar
Who could think you under the table.
David Hume could out-consume
Wilhelm Freidrich Hegel.
And Wittgenstein was a beery swine
Who was just as schloshed as Schlegel.
There's nothing Nietzsche couldn't teach ya
'Bout the raising of the wrist,
Socrates, himself, was permanently pissed.
John Stuart Mill, of his own free will,
On half a pint of shandy was particularly ill.
Plato, they say, could stick it away,
Half a crate of whiskey every day.
Aristotle, Aristotle was a bugger for the bottle,
And Hobbes was fond of his dram.
And Rene Descartes was a drunken fart,
"I drink, therefore I am."
Yes, Socrates himself is particularly missed,
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed.

FrankWakefield 10-07-2022 09:00 PM

Epicurus

How can you guys overlook Epicurus???

I continue to consider Hans Wagner the best ballplayer ever. I think Cobb was a better ballplayer than Ruth. And Ed Reulbach is an extremely overlooked player. Reckon Shohei Ohtani will one day start, finish and win both games of a double header? And if he does, will both wins be with shutouts???

https://sabr.org/journal/article/ed-...-doubleheader/