Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Kyrie to Dallas good or bad? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=331302)

mrreality68 02-06-2023 04:42 PM

Kyrie to Dallas good or bad?

Kyrie was traded to Dallas

What do we think?

Was it a good trade for Dallas?
Was it a good trade for the Nets?
Could the Nets have gotten more?
Will this help or hurt both teams?
Will Durant want out of Brooklyn now?
How does this affect the lakers?

Thoughts?

BobbyStrawberry 02-06-2023 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrreality68 (Post 2311698)
Kyrie was traded to Dallas

What do we think?

Was it a good trade for Dallas?
Was it a good trade for the Nets?
Could the Nets have gotten more?
Will this help or hurt both teams?
Will Durant want out of Brooklyn now?
How does this affect the lakers?

Thoughts?

IMO:

Risky but good move for Dallas

Nets could have had two Lakers future firsts, but wanted to stay competitive
for this year with the two players they got back

Durant will leave anyway, since the two players he wanted to play with there are now gone

Lakers season will continue to go down the drain

If I ran a team, Irving wouldn't be on it, no matter what. Terrible teammate and foolish person, despite his talent

nolemmings 02-06-2023 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry (Post 2311708)
IMO:

If I ran a team, Irving wouldn't be on it, no matter what. Terrible teammate and foolish person, despite his talent

Agreed.

Gorditadogg 02-06-2023 06:13 PM

Great deal for the Nets, under the circumstances. Kyrie's contract is up, and he was floating, according to Bleacher Report, that he could get injured and not be able to play the rest of the season. So I think anything the Nets could get was a plus. And they ended up getting two starter-level players and two first round draft picks. If they can somehow convert Dinwiddie and a pick into VanVleet that would be even better.

I also can see the Mav's side of it. They screwed up by not re-signing Brunson and now need to show Luka they are willing to spend to support him and the team. Mavs probably had better options out there, because I can't imagine them getting value for whatever extension they give to Kyrie, but we will probably never know what their option B was.

BobbyStrawberry 02-06-2023 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gorditadogg (Post 2311741)
Great deal for the Nets, under the circumstances. Kyrie's contract is up, and he was floating, according to Bleacher Report, that he could get injured and not be able to play the rest of the season. So I think anything the Nets could get was a plus. And they ended up getting two starter-level players and two first round draft picks. If they can somehow convert Dinwiddie and a pick into VanVleet that would be even better.

I also can see the Mav's side of it. They screwed up by not re-signing Brunson and now need to show Luka they are willing to spend to support him and the team. Mavs probably had better options out there, because I can't imagine them getting value for whatever extension they give to Kyrie, but we will probably never know what their option B was.

The Nets didn't get two first round picks - they got a first and two seconds.

Gorditadogg 02-06-2023 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry (Post 2311744)
The Nets didn't get two first round picks - they got a first and two seconds.

That's all you got?

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

BobbyStrawberry 02-06-2023 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gorditadogg (Post 2311759)
That's all you got?

I posted a longer comment earlier

Gorditadogg 02-06-2023 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry (Post 2311771)
I posted a longer comment earlier

Well, let's see what Durant does. He came to Brooklyn because he wanted to show everyone he could win a championship on his own. It hasn't worked so far but maybe he is not ready to give up.

I think Lavine would play well with LeBron and AD. Bulls could use those 2 Lakers draft picks to re-tool.

Pjere 02-09-2023 01:09 AM

I think Dallas is killin’ it with this deal and Kyrie-Luka after a month will start looking a little like Kyrie-LeBron did.
I also have the unpopular opinion that the media blows everything out of proportion and that Kyrie is not anti-Semitic like he says.
I admit I don’t know all the details, but I’m sick of everyone jumping on a bandwagon to hate someone just because the media says they should. My Jewish friend said playfully that I don’t like him because I said this about Kyrie. It proved my point exactly that hate by association isn’t hate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrreality68 02-09-2023 04:40 AM

Now a block buster.

I lost respect for Durant.

Because his friend Kyrie is out he wanted to be traded.

So Phoenix gets Durant. Nets get a monster package of picks and some solid players.

Nets will remain competitive but will now be irrelevant

StraightRaceCards 02-09-2023 08:34 PM

Dallas

As a Mavs fan, I love seeing Cuban go for talent to help Luka

But I hate seeing us choose talent with poor reputation. I hope to be proven wrong though. I can’t say I’ve met Kai so it’s wrong for me to bash him… that being said, it usually doesn’t end well this route.

BobbyStrawberry 02-09-2023 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LarsHoneyToast (Post 2312701)

But I hate seeing us choose talent with poor reputation. I hope to be proven wrong though. I can’t say I’ve met Kai so it’s wrong for me to bash him… that being said, it usually doesn’t end well this route.

At least he has to stay with the team until the offseason!

mrreality68 02-10-2023 04:32 AM

Quote:

and he starts off poorly reputation wise.
He already deleted his tweet of his apology for the anti-semetic movie that he shouted it.
But on the court first game he helps them win

JustinD 02-10-2023 08:50 AM

Irving is a timebomb of a slow growing cancer everywhere he goes. He thinks of nothing but himself in each and every situation and would think nothing of pulling himself from a game seven for the pettiest of nonsensical reasons.

I think the Knicks did fantastic with what they received and this will certainly not help the Mavs other than the usual couple flashes that Kyrie shows just prior to making some monumental bonehead move to keep the suckers thinking he can somehow pull it together.

D. Bergin 02-10-2023 09:43 AM

Kyrie is a fantastic talent. I've seen him outplay Steph Curry head to head in several big games through the years. Curry is my favorite player in the NBA right now, so that's saying a lot coming from me.

However, the term "mercurial" is too kind for him. He's a knucklehead, masquerading as a "free thinker". He's not a scumbag on the level of Antonio Brown...he's just a knucklehead. I'm sure at some point in his life, him and Kanye West will pool their resources together to form some sort of a media conglomerate superteam of knuckleheads.

He might help the Mavericks short term, and maybe even get them a couple rounds into the playoffs this season. I think he's a big game player, unlike his briefly former team-mate James Harden...but they'd be silly to give him a max contract.

He's going to be super useful whenever Luca has to take a break, nurse an injury or miss a game. The depth he provides at the Guard position will be fantastic for the Mavs. I'm skeptical how he's going to actually share the court with Luca though. A lot of their skill sets overlap. He's never liked being the number 2 guy.

He begged out of Cleveland, because HE wanted to be Lebron somewhere else, he never fit in, in Boston, and he was an absolute nightmare in New Jersey, AFTER they threw a boatload of money at him.

I don't know how you give a guy a max contract, when you know he's going to make himself unavailable, or go his own way, whenever the wind blows a different way for him...but Mark Cuban fancies himself a players owner and an armchair psychologist, so maybe he's deluded himself into thinking he can control Kyrie and his instincts.

And lastly...........who knew the super team of Kyrie, Durant and James Harden, wasn't going to work out for the Nets. :rolleyes:

Even Harden, whose playing style I seriously dislike, but who at least shows up for work everyday and can be a legitimate difference maker, knew this was going to be an untenable situation, and got himself out of there as quickly as Kyrie could say "The Earth Is Flat".

Leon 02-10-2023 09:46 AM

Basketball? Except for Luka, I would rather watch the cows on my street chew their cud. To each their own. I guess if the Mavs get into the championships I might watch a game. He brings with him a ton of baggage too, so that could be interesting. I am neutral on the pick up (obviously).

BobbyStrawberry 02-10-2023 10:12 AM

Mavs are legit contenders now, which is more than you could say before the trade. If nothing else, the busy trade deadline has me curious to see some of the new-look teams at the top of the western conference. (I'm a big basketball fan in general but the NBA regular season has become a real snooze fest over the last decade or so.)

mrreality68 02-11-2023 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry (Post 2312865)
Mavs are legit contenders now, which is more than you could say before the trade. If nothing else, the busy trade deadline has me curious to see some of the new-look teams at the top of the western conference. (I'm a big basketball fan in general but the NBA regular season has become a real snooze fest over the last decade or so.)

It will make the Dallas team interesting on and off the court.

I think it was a risky trade with high upside potential and for just the rest of this season they trade to much depth away.
If they sign him long term I think it is a bigger risk because once Kyrie gets his money he will be who he is.

This year I think Dallas picked up a lot of upside but gave up to much depth. You need depth in the playoffs

BobbyStrawberry 02-11-2023 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrreality68 (Post 2313129)
It will make the Dallas team interesting on and off the court.

I think it was a risky trade with high upside potential and for just the rest of this season they trade to much depth away.
If they sign him long term I think it is a bigger risk because once Kyrie gets his money he will be who he is.

This year I think Dallas picked up a lot of upside but gave up to much depth. You need depth in the playoffs

That's for sure! Perimeter defense is the thing they lost the most IMO - Luka and Kyrie are not great defenders. Also some speculation now that Irving and LeBron are already planning a reunion in LA next season.

D. Bergin 02-12-2023 08:46 AM

Funny, I just realized about the Nets situation. Has any other team in this strong of a playoff position, halfway through the season, had their top 2 stars basically quit on them and force a trade?

I can see if you're in the bottom half of the standings and you're looking for a way out...but the Nets were in a solid playoff position, playing nearly .600 ball at the time of the trades.

Is Ben Simmons THAT difficult to play with? ;)

D. Bergin 02-12-2023 08:51 AM

Kyrie and Luka had a pretty good game together last night in an OT losing effort on the road, it looks like.

That's a really sparse looking lineup otherwise though.

BobbyStrawberry 02-12-2023 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D. Bergin (Post 2313563)
Funny, I just realized about the Nets situation. Has any other team in this strong of a playoff position, halfway through the season, had their top 2 stars basically quit on them and force a trade?

I can see if you're in the bottom half of the standings and you're looking for a way out...but the Nets were in a solid playoff position, playing nearly .600 ball at the time of the trades.

I can't think of one. Another funny thing - the Nets still have a decent team and could make the playoffs....if they win one playoff series they will equal the achievements of the "superteam"!

mrreality68 02-12-2023 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D. Bergin (Post 2313563)

Good Point

Now watch them drop like a rock.

But hopefully the re-images Nets team does something and hopefully Durant and Kyrie struggle with their new teams

BobbyStrawberry 03-02-2023 09:58 AM

Dallas is now 1-4 with Irving. Theyve also fallen out of the top 6 and into the play-in bracket. Not working out great so far

D. Bergin 03-02-2023 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry (Post 2319703)
Dallas is now 1-4 with Irving. Theyve also fallen out of the top 6 and into the play-in bracket. Not working out great so far

They're 3-5 since Kyrie got there, and 3-4 in games Kyrie has played. I believe it's 1-4 when Kyrie and Luka play in the same game. Their one win together was against an absolutely terrible Spurs team.

You can read that a few different ways.

New team-mates, and just about every game is very close. Give them time and they might gel just enough to be successful eventually.

or, they're playing pretty good individually, but with their over-lapping skill sets, it leaves too many holes on the floor with the rest of the team, and they suffer on the defensive and rebounding end, even when they're both playing well offensively.

I think Kyrie is at a point he wants to impress and be a good team-mate...for now. What happens when he loses interest, catches too much criticism, or binge watches a hundred episodes of "The UFO/Bigfoot Files" in a row...is anybody's guess.

BobbyStrawberry 03-02-2023 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D. Bergin (Post 2319717)
They're 3-5 since Kyrie got there, and 3-4 in games Kyrie has played. I believe it's 1-4 when Kyrie and Luka play in the same game. Their one win together was against an absolutely terrible Spurs team.

New team-mates, and just about every game is very close. Give them time and they might gel just enough to be successful eventually.

or, they're playing pretty good individually, but with their over-lapping skill sets, it leaves too many holes on the floor with the rest of the team, and they suffer on the defensive and rebounding end, even when they're both playing well offensively.

I think Kyrie is at a point he wants to impress and be a good team-mate...for now. What happens when he loses interest, catches too much criticism, or binge watches a hundred episodes of "The UFO/Bigfoot Files" in a row...is anybody's guess.

Yes, you're right - my mistake. I agree they have time to get things on track, especially with so many teams in the west packed together in the standings.

To me Kidd has never seemed like a great coach, and I'm sure he's doing his best, but man what a task to try and manage those two personalities! Both unquestionable talents, but Luka is still really lacking in maturity IMO and Kyrie is, well, Kyrie ...

mrreality68 03-02-2023 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D. Bergin (Post 2319717)

Good points but I am hoping he fails.

1952boyntoncollector 03-02-2023 04:03 PM

kyrie to anybody has been bad pretty much since he left his drafted team

mrreality68 03-03-2023 08:26 AM

Quote:

very well said. I think he is a great owner but some decisions should be better made

D. Bergin 03-03-2023 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrreality68 (Post 2320032)
very well said. I think he is a great owner but some decisions should be better made

Cuban whiffed on Porzingis to. Maybe twice. Couldn't stay on the floor with Dallas (which was no surprise)...but has become the Wizards best player (who knows for how long) since Dallas gave up on him and sent him packing.

Dallas still owes a 1st round pick to the Knicks for him.

mrreality68 03-04-2023 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D. Bergin (Post 2320066)
Cuban whiffed on Porzingis to. Maybe twice. Couldn't stay on the floor with Dallas (which was no surprise)...but has become the Wizards best player (who knows for how long) since Dallas gave up on him and sent him packing.

Dallas still owes a 1st round pick to the Knicks for him.

knew about Porzingas but did not realized they still owed the knicks a first round pick.

NBA is confusing with so many trades with so many picks often being up to 6 years out

Topnotchsy 03-05-2023 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pjere (Post 2312397)
I think Dallas is killin’ it with this deal and Kyrie-Luka after a month will start looking a little like Kyrie-LeBron did.
I also have the unpopular opinion that the media blows everything out of proportion and that Kyrie is not anti-Semitic like he says.
I admit I don’t know all the details, but I’m sick of everyone jumping on a bandwagon to hate someone just because the media says they should. My Jewish friend said playfully that I don’t like him because I said this about Kyrie. It proved my point exactly that hate by association isn’t hate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It doesn't matter if Irving is actually anti-Semitic or just an idiot. Jews have been increasing under attack in the US (edit: can't find the source for the stat I referenced, but Jews are disproportionately targeted beyond any other religion in the US by a wide margin) And Irving referenced a movie that perpetuates the myths that are the basis for some of these ideas; and then spoke of 'having an army behind him.'

I frankly don't care if a person is anti-Semitic. On its own, it's ignorant and stupid, but it's not dangerous. But what Irving did is potentially very, very dangerous. Statements like that by a person who views himself as a victim and has an enormous following is dangerous, and can easily have led to violence.