Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   How tough is it to find single signed balls from Tony Horton and Don McMahon? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=290675)

whiteymet 10-20-2020 04:35 PM

How tough is it to find single signed balls from Tony Horton and Don McMahon?

Hi Gang:

I am not an autograph collector, but am trying to help out a friend.

He has been unable to find a single signed ball for either Tony Horton or Don McMahon. I told him I would check with you guys to see why they have evaded him thus far.

I know McMahon is dead but not Horton. Did either have a reputation as being a tough signer?

Any insight would be appreciated or leads to where he could find one or both.

Thanks in advance for any help/info you can provide.

MooseDog 10-20-2020 06:14 PM

McMahon was a great signer, a ball might be tough but I would guess they are out there.

Horton not so likely. His is a tragic story (look it up if you don't know) and from what I understand he doesn't want anything to do with sports, won't do interviews. Doubtful there are any legitimate autographs of Horton beyond when he was playing and single signed balls were not a big thing back then.

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiteymet (Post 2027420)
Hi Gang:

He has been unable to find a single signed ball for either Tony Horton or Don McMahon. I told him I would check with you guys to see why they have evaded him thus far.

I know McMahon is dead but not Horton. Did either have a reputation as being a tough signer?

Bigdaddy 10-21-2020 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MooseDog (Post 2027444)
McMahon was a great signer, a ball might be tough but I would guess they are out there.

Horton not so likely. His is a tragic story (look it up if you don't know) and from what I understand he doesn't want anything to do with sports, won't do interviews. Doubtful there are any legitimate autographs of Horton beyond when he was playing and single signed balls were not a big thing back then.

Specifically, check out the SABR article on Horton. I was not familiar with his story until reading this just last week.

jakebeckleyoldeagleeye 10-22-2020 02:28 PM

He's right there with Steve Hovley.

Griffins 10-23-2020 12:03 AM

The Horton's were on my paper route when I was a kid, '72-76. I lived about 6 doors away. He was always very quiet when I came to the door and never spoke more than "let me get my mom". Hopefully he got some peace but I can't imagine him signing much.

jcg74 10-29-2021 03:32 PM

Still searching for a Tony Horton single signed ball

Hi everybody,

I wanted to give an update. The post below was from a good friend of my dad. At the time my dad was collecting a single signed baseball from everyone on the 1967 Red Sox, but was missing 2: Don McMahon and Tony Horton. My dad passed away last year from brain cancer and I inherited the collection and am trying to complete it (more for my dad than me, the ’67 Sox were before my time). So far I managed to find a McMahon ball, but still no luck with Tony Horton.

Has anyone here ever seen a single signed Tony Horton ball? Do you think one might even exist? The irony is that Tony lives a few miles from my house in Los Angeles, but from all I have read he is not one to give out autographs - or even talk about his baseball past. Thanks for reading - Any help/suggestions/ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiteymet (Post 2027420)
Hi Gang:

MooseDog 11-01-2021 09:03 AM

I would suggest looking for a team signed ball with Horton on it, not necessarily from the 1967 team, that might cost a fortune, but I would think there are full or partial balls with him on them.