Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   PSA - Submitting Photos for the first time (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=327802)

Big Red Machine 11-20-2022 04:26 AM

PSA - Submitting Photos for the first time

Hello,
I recently sent a small order to PSA to have a few photographs authenticated for the first time. My question is will these orders be tracked the same way as cards? The reason I ask is that my shipment was signed for on November 2nd but does not show in my Order Status section. It does show that PSA has received my package within the "track my package" section in the PSA website. Just curious if anyone can advise me. Thank you!

Dardevl 11-20-2022 05:54 AM

Same

You are not alone. For whatever reason, PSA (photographs), even though they use the same PSA order tracking system as PSA proper, do not upload the order until the order is essentially complete. My personal experience: Package received, no news for 2-3 months, then the results are uploaded to a newly created order number, followed by a day or two later, upload the tracking, then the order ships.

Big Red Machine 11-20-2022 06:59 AM

Thank you so much. I really appreciate it.

Snapolit1 11-20-2022 07:14 AM

I've had photo submissions that basically entered the system for the first time when it was complete.

LEHR 11-21-2022 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dardevl (Post 2285356)
You are not alone. For whatever reason, PSA (photographs), even though they use the same PSA order tracking system as PSA proper, do not upload the order until the order is essentially complete. My personal experience: Package received, no news for 2-3 months, then the results are uploaded to a newly created order number, followed by a day or two later, upload the tracking, then the order ships.

This is correct.
I've had a few photos at PSA for a couple months now that still do not even show as received, but I know they have them as I had someone at PSA confirm they had my package.

D. Bergin 11-21-2022 08:55 AM

Is PSA taking months to do photos now? Even when they had their years long backup on cards, it seemed the photos were getting done in about 3-5 weeks or so.

LEHR 11-22-2022 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D. Bergin (Post 2285733)
Is PSA taking months to do photos now? Even when they had their years long backup on cards, it seemed the photos were getting done in about 3-5 weeks or so.

FWIW, I've sent three photo submissions in this year, each only containing 2-4 photos. The first two submissions took 5 and 4 weeks respectively. My current submission is on week 8 now, so hopefully it's finished soon.

Exhibitman 11-22-2022 06:16 PM

Perhaps you guys can clarify for me? Does it really cost $50 to submit a photo and another $30 for the encapsulation? I have a few snapshots I'd send in but not at that price.

Bicem 11-22-2022 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 2286296)
Perhaps you guys can clarify for me? Does it really cost $50 to submit a photo and another $30 for the encapsulation? I have a few snapshots I'd send in but not at that price.

Yes, that's the lowest value tier.

Lordstan 11-22-2022 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bicem (Post 2286319)
Yes, that's the lowest value tier.

Wow. $80 to slab a photo. Regardless of what you think about slabbing photos or the Type system, that is a ridiculous price.
I have to assume they raised prices to try to cut the volume. Seems that prices out most photos from ever being certed/slabbed. Hard to justify spending $80 to slab a photo worth under $500.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

mikecala98 11-22-2022 08:03 PM

Maybe BVG as an option? I have a graded photo but it does not use the Type system, just says original photo.

the-illini 11-22-2022 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lordstan (Post 2286342)
Wow. $80 to slab a photo. Regardless of what you think about slabbing photos or the Type system, that is a ridiculous price.
I have to assume they raised prices to try to cut the volume. Seems that prices out most photos from ever being certed/slabbed. Hard to justify spending $80 to slab a photo worth under $500.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

It has always been pretty close to that price; definitely no bargain.

Lucas00 11-22-2022 09:30 PM

PSA - Submitting Photos for the first time

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikecala98 (Post 2286343)
Maybe BVG as an option? I have a graded photo but it does not use the Type system, just says original photo.

They do, the main problem is they don’t know how to name a photo half the time. Is it a snapshot or a type 1 Or an Original photo? I have seen both called both. Don’t get me started on companies that don’t know a type 1 from a type 2 or 3 Etc. They’re all guilty of that.

Another big issue is bvg slabs feel like they were sitting in a warehouse from the 90s. They aren’t clear and they’re extremely bulky. Wish they would team up with csg or something for photos. Would be a great duo.

Forever Young 11-22-2022 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikecala98 (Post 2286343)

The Type system was invented by Henry Yee and Marshall Fogel. It has been copyrighted and licensed to PSA exclusively since 2007. As far as I am aware, none of the grading companies are legally allowed to use the type system without their consent.

Lucas00 11-22-2022 09:54 PM

It looks like Bvg no longer Encapsulates photos? I can’t find any info or resource or even where to go

mikecala98 11-22-2022 10:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Snapshot generally means what? Mine has the Kodak Velox on the back.

Lucas00 11-22-2022 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikecala98 (Post 2286384)
Snapshot generally means what? Mine has the Kodak Velox on the back.

In baseball terms essentially it means it was taken by a Spectator or fan in an Informal setting. 99% of the time with a small handheld camera and much of the time being Kodak branded in the 40s and onward. Usually no special pose or anything like that (though you see snaps with posing that are very beautiful and desirable) basically a photo me or you would take today on vacation or your mom took of you as a kid in your baseball uniform is a snapshot.
Your photo is just that as well, looks like it was taken by a family member. Not the media or a pro photographer.

mikecala98 11-22-2022 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucas00 (Post 2286388)
In baseball terms essentially it means it was taken by a Spectator or fan in an Informal setting. 99% of the time with a small handheld camera and much of the time being Kodak branded in the 40s and onward. Usually no special pose or anything like that (though you see snaps with posing that are very beautiful and desirable) basically a photo me or you would take today on vacation or your mom took of you as a kid in your baseball uniform is a snapshot.
Your photo is just that as well, looks like it was taken by a family member. Not the media or a pro photographer.

Or a nurse! Thank you!!