Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What's happening to my pictures? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=208846)

cracker_jack 07-17-2015 04:34 PM

What's happening to my pictures?

2 Attachment(s)
I have several prints that have been framed in my finished basement and I'm getting some sort of soiling on them. It almost looks like a buildup of dust and when you brush it off, it leaves a small soil stain. It's only happening to these prints and nothing else. It's not a damp basement and stays anywhere from 62 degrees in the winter to about 67 degrees in the summer. I have a lot of other framed photos and whatnot but they're all fine. Not sure if it's just the paper type on these prints or what. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks

Scott Garner 07-17-2015 06:23 PM

I suspect mold or mildew caused by humidity

sporteq 07-17-2015 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Garner (Post 1432440)
I suspect mold or mildew caused by humidity

yup- looks like it to me too

UnVme7 07-17-2015 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sporteq (Post 1432533)
yup- looks like it to me too

I third that....

khkco4bls 07-18-2015 07:35 AM

Definitely

thecatspajamas 07-18-2015 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cracker_jack (Post 1432393)
It's not a damp basement ...

Keep in mind that although it may not feel damp to you, there may still be enough moisture to promote mold / mildew growth. If it continues to be an issue or if you plan to store paper collectibles down there, it sounds like a dehumidifier may be needed.

Ron 07-18-2015 09:06 AM

Probably a combination of the paper type (since no other pictures are like this) and environment. Place a humidity gauge down stairs and see what the humidity is, if it is above 60% you may need some form of dehumidifier

D. Bergin 07-18-2015 01:59 PM

Yeah, you'd be surprised how damp a basement can get without knowing it. In our last house, we never had any flooding but I think there was a high water table and we had the dehumidifier running 24/7, every day of the year. Even during the driest winter months it would suck a couple gallons of water out of the air every day. During the summer it would fill up a 35 gallon bucket every few days. This is interior Connecticut, not some Louisiana bayou town or something. Basement was unfinished, but still, that's a lot of water just sitting in the air.

cracker_jack 07-18-2015 06:39 PM

Thanks all. Humidity is 62% from a gauge placed there yesterday. Is there a simple way to clean the prints to get the soil marks off of them?

Ron 07-19-2015 09:25 AM

Depending on your collectible type Humidity should be less than 60%. Wood antiques should be about 50-55%. If it is mostly paper stuff you are worried about try to get it less than 50% (40-45%) but the lower you go the more uncomfortable it is to be in that environment for you. I think if you can get it no higher than 50% you should be okay for most collectible types. If most of your stuff is in one smaller room and not the whole basement a small room dehumidifier would work

JMEnglish27 07-22-2015 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cracker_jack (Post 1432760)
Thanks all. Humidity is 62% from a gauge placed there yesterday. Is there a simple way to clean the prints to get the soil marks off of them?

I mention this only because it worked for me on an inexpensive item that was white like these are...so please use extreme caution if these are of great value.

A LIGHT rubdown with a Magic Eraser. The kitchen/bathroom sponge thingy. I wouldn't wet it before use obviously. Just a gentle couple swipes and you should be able to tell if it's going to help at all.