Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Seeking help identifying players in 1950s snapshot (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=318624)

Chris Counts 04-23-2022 12:09 PM

Seeking help identifying players in 1950s snapshot

1 Attachment(s)
Hi, I just picked up this snapshot because i recognized Mickey Cochrane and Lefty Grove in it. It appears to have been taken in Connie Mack Stadium sometime in the 1950s. I suspect some of the guys are old A's. The guy at the left looks a bit like Jimmy Dykes, but his nose is wrong. The guy to the left of him is left-handed and looks a bit like Tris Speaker. His glove is an outfielder's. If I had to guess the three guys on the left, I'd say Bing Miller or Rogers Hornsby, George Earnshaw or Lefty Gomez, and Mule Haas, but I could be way off. Any ideas? Thanks, Chris

whiteymet 04-23-2022 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Counts (Post 2217993)
Hi, I just picked up this snapshot because i recognized Mickey Cochrane and Lefty Grove in it. It appears to have been taken in Connie Mack Stadium sometime in the 1950s. I suspect some of the guys are old A's. The guy at the left looks a bit like Jimmy Dykes, but his nose is wrong. The guy to the left of him is left-handed and looks a bit like Tris Speaker. His glove is an outfielder's. If I had to guess the three guys on the left, I'd say Bing Miller or Rogers Hornsby, George Earnshaw or Lefty Gomez, and Mule Haas, but I could be way off. Any ideas? Thanks, Chris

Hi Chris:

The only one I can POSITIVELY identify beside Cochrane and Grove you mentioned is Cy Perkins Phillies coach second from the left.

None are Dykes, Hornsby or Speaker to my eyes. The guy on the right may be one of the Waner brothers, though I am not positive.

Guessing they are all old Philadelphia A's players. Perhaps the Phillies were honoring them one night which is why they are in Phillies uniforms.

Chris Counts 04-24-2022 07:50 AM

Thanks for your reply Fred. After looking at photos of Cy Perkins, I agree he's in the photo. After doing some more research, I suspect the guy on the right is Max Bishop. The other players are a real puzzle. Two of them are lefties, but they don't resemble any of the few lefties who played for the A's in the late 20s or early 30s.

whiteymet 05-11-2022 10:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Chris:

I ran across this photo in an old Phillies scrapbook I had not look at in years. The below photo was taken at a Phillies Oldtimers game in 1951.

While it appears to me it is not from the same year as your photo, looking at the players ID'ed in it I would venture to guess the player to the left in your photo is the same as the one to left in my photo Rube Walberg.

The gray haired player in the A's uniform in the center is Howard Ehmke, I thought he could the player third from the left in your photo. However Ehmke was a right hander and the guy in your photos appears to be a lefty, unless he just picked up a glove.

What do you think? Is the guy on the left Walberg and is Ehmke in your photo?

whiteymet 06-24-2022 10:47 AM

Here is a new listing on ebay of other photos that appear to be from the same old timers game

https://www.ebay.com/itm/29505849572...&segname=11021

Assuming all these photos are from the same day, the first one shows Phillies Manager Steve O'Neill sitting in the dugout. Steve was the Phillies Manager for the last 91 games of the 1952 season through the first 77 games of the 1954 season.

So the photo the OP showed above has to be from that time frame.

Chris Counts 06-24-2022 11:00 AM

Thanks for the heads up. My snapshot has a similar tape stain, so it must of come from the same batch. I might need to find a scorecard or newspaper article to help identify the rest of the guys.

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiteymet (Post 2236847)
Here is a new listing on ebay of other photos that appear to be from the same old timers game

https://www.ebay.com/itm/29505849572...&segname=11021

Assuming all these photos are from the same day, the first one shows Phillies Manager Steve O'Neill sitting in the dugout. Steve was the Phillies Manager for the last 91 games of the 1952 season through the first 77 games of the 1954 season.

So the photo the OP showed above has to be from that time frame.

Chris Counts 06-24-2022 11:06 AM

Fred,

I somehow missed your earlier post with the newspaper clipping until now. Yes, those players do look like Howard Ehmke and Rube Walberg. That's a big help ...

Thanks!

Chris

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiteymet (Post 2224108)
Chris:

I ran across this photo in an old Phillies scrapbook I had not look at in years. The below photo was taken at a Phillies Oldtimers game in 1951.

While it appears to me it is not from the same year as your photo, looking at the players ID'ed in it I would venture to guess the player to the left in your photo is the same as the one to left in my photo Rube Walberg.

The gray haired player in the A's uniform in the center is Howard Ehmke, I thought he could the player third from the left in your photo. However Ehmke was a right hander and the guy in your photos appears to be a lefty, unless he just picked up a glove.

What do you think? Is the guy on the left Walberg and is Ehmke in your photo?