Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Scammer: Nathaniel Valencia (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=291940)

Treakle23 11-17-2020 05:14 AM

Scammer: Nathaniel Valencia

Do not purchase any product from Nathaniel Valencia. He claimed he had postcards from his father’s estate and has yet to ship items. I found out later he took images off of Worthpoint. Worthpoint doesn’t typically show-up in on-line searches unless you go to the Worthpoint site. If any one sends you images of items, please check Worthpoint to make sure they weren’t taken from there. I don’t even know if Nathaniel Valencia is the seller’s real name. His story checked out because I found an obituary matching his father’s. Beware.

Treakle23 11-17-2020 05:18 AM

Stolen Images

The seller also took images from Collector’s Universe Forum photos.

MikeGarcia 11-17-2020 06:40 AM

A few Q's

Quote:

Originally Posted by Treakle23 (Post 2035973)
Do not purchase any product from Nathaniel Valencia. He claimed he had postcards from his father’s estate and has yet to ship items. I found out later he took images off of Worthpoint. Worthpoint doesn’t typically show-up in on-line searches unless you go to the Worthpoint site. If any one sends you images of items, please check Worthpoint to make sure they weren’t taken from there. I don’t even know if Nathaniel Valencia is the seller’s real name. His story checked out because I found an obituary matching his father’s. Beware.

How long have you been waiting and what is the response when you "ask seller a question" or "contact seller" ?......newbie seller ?...

Treakle23 11-17-2020 09:30 AM

No reply.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeGarcia (Post 2035986)
How long have you been waiting and what is the response when you "ask seller a question" or "contact seller" ?......newbie seller ?...

The seller initially said he was waiting to mail them. Then, he said he would send more images of items he wanted to sell. Then he stopped answering. I’ve been waiting two weeks for him to ship and over a week for a tracking number. No response in over a week.

buymycards 11-17-2020 10:06 AM

?

So, was this an eBay transaction? Craigslist? Facebook? How did you pay - PayPal?, Credit card?

Treakle23 11-17-2020 10:09 AM

I paid via PayPal “Friends and Family” as I have done repeatedly over the years without an issue (through email and texting). I guess I was lucky in the past, but not now. I’ve always had sellers be upfront and honest. This was a first. I will have to be extremely careful from now on. I’ve collected since 1981. Never happened before.

Throttlesteer 11-17-2020 10:21 AM

Outside of this board, I pay the extra 3%. Too many scammers these days.

ullmandds 11-17-2020 10:25 AM

it's gotten really bad out there...many are trying to take advantage. Always protect yourself...PP goods and services.

Treakle23 11-17-2020 11:36 AM

I’ll have to from now on. Thanks for the advice.

Jim65 11-17-2020 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Throttlesteer (Post 2036062)
Outside of this board, I pay the extra 3%. Too many scammers these days.

I even do it here.

I was burned on a different forum by a longtime member with an impeccable reputation. Package was lost and basically got the runaround, then he disappeared from the board. Now I pay by G&S and add the fees, always.

chalupacollects 11-17-2020 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Treakle23 (Post 2036058)
I paid via PayPal “Friends and Family” as I have done repeatedly over the years without an issue (through email and texting). I guess I was lucky in the past, but not now. I’ve always had sellers be upfront and honest. This was a first. I will have to be extremely careful from now on. I’ve collected since 1981. Never happened before.

Try charging it back through your bank as fraud...

Treakle23 11-17-2020 09:05 PM

I did. They rejected it.

maniac_73 11-18-2020 08:29 AM

He was trying to scam here though our PM system before Leon banned him

bnorth 11-18-2020 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chalupacollects (Post 2036157)
Try charging it back through your bank as fraud...

As Fraud.:confused: Against who, yourself for screwing PP out of their fees.

ramram 11-18-2020 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maniac_73 (Post 2036359)
He was trying to scam here though our PM system before Leon banned him

Does Leon have any useful information on him at all (city, phone number, etc)? I'm guessing that's a no, but some crooks are pretty dumb.

Rob M

Leon 11-18-2020 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramram (Post 2036486)
Does Leon have any useful information on him at all (city, phone number, etc)? I'm guessing that's a no, but some crooks are pretty dumb.

Rob M

The person never registered through the system. They had 0 posts. Let it be known that anyone with 0 posts and brand new should need to have some good references to do a deal. Or any member can PM me and I will always try to help. Had I gotten a PM before this happened it wouldn't have happened.

ramram 11-18-2020 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 2036489)
The person never registered through the system. They had 0 posts. Let it be known that anyone with 0 posts and brand new should need to have some good references to do a deal. Or any member can PM me and I will always try to help. Had I gotten a PM before this happened it wouldn't have happened.

So then he wouldn't have ever actually been able to PM anybody on the board, correct?

Rob M

Leon 11-18-2020 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramram (Post 2036503)
So then he wouldn't have ever actually been able to PM anybody on the board, correct?

Rob M

Apparently he did pm the OP without registering and being approved. Caveat emptor. I doubt any system is foolproof.

ramram 11-18-2020 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 2036510)
Apparently he did pm without registering and being approved. Caveat emptor. I doubt any system is foolproof.

Good to know. I did not know that was possible.

Rob M

White Borders 11-18-2020 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramram (Post 2036511)
Good to know. I did not know that was possible.

Rob M

fyi: Another Scammer on Our Forum - Beware on the BST

bnorth 11-18-2020 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramram (Post 2036503)

Rob M

I know you used to be able to PM other members before Leon approves you to actually post. I had a long time hobby friend try and join a couple years ago and he PMed me before he got approved to post.

Tao_Moko 11-18-2020 05:58 PM

There are 6 threads on the main page all related to scammers. That is pretty telling that it's rampant.

Leon 11-18-2020 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 2036528)
I know you used to be able to PM other members before Leon approves you to actually post. I had a long time hobby friend try and join a couple years ago and he PMed me before he got approved to post.

That might be the case and I might have even known and forgot.

Just be careful, everyone :)

Every thread needs a card....

https://luckeycards.com/t206jennings.jpg