Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Another card investment thread (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=267852)

Schultz24 04-11-2019 06:58 AM

Another card investment thread

Hi all,

A family member has about $10k that they would like to invest. They asked me about doing coins/precious metals but I think those are generally not the greatest for returns. They have other investments (mutual funds/stocks) so I think this is kind of to diversify and/or for fun. I have seen huge returns on popular cards lately and I think vintage is probably the safest way to go. What are some if the cards you would say have the best upside in the next 5-10 years? I’m thinking a nice Mick (1952 prob out of the range), but think maybe getting a few nice cards would be bettr than just 1. Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks a bunch!!

ullmandds 04-11-2019 07:02 AM

1907 dietsche cobb fielding rookie.

Donscards 04-11-2019 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1869242)
1907 dietsche cobb fielding rookie.

That would be a great one, but it will cost over 10K--there is a psa 2 going in a auction right now at 16K with the juice----I think lower grade 1933 Goudey Babe Ruth's and T206 Ty Cobb's would be a good investment for under 10K.

Throttlesteer 04-11-2019 07:21 AM

T206 commons in PSA 6-7 range

ullmandds 04-11-2019 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donscards (Post 1869247)
That would be a great one, but it will cost over 10K--there is a psa 2 going in a auction right now at 16K with the juice----I think lower grade 1933 Goudey Babe Ruth's and T206 Ty Cobb's would be a good investment for under 10K.

you're right...you won't go wrong with centered cobb/ruth cards

Leon 04-11-2019 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1869251)
you're right...you won't go wrong with centered cobb/ruth cards

I couldn't agree more but they are going up quickly it seems.

http://luckeycards.com/r319rutha.jpg

36GoudeyMan 04-11-2019 07:47 AM

Early HOFers

Best guess, other than the generally accepted Ruth/Gehrig/Cobb triad, would be for well-centered, mid-grade Cy Young, Nap Lajoie, Walter Johnson and Eddie Plank cards from mainstream sets like T206, Cracker Jacks, etc.

Also, some specific sets have cards that I think have potential over 5-10 years, such as Diamond Stars Bill Dickey, low # and high # cards, in higher grade, the #1 Lefty Grove card in high grade, 1934 Goudey Foxx, 1938 Goudey Feller, and many others similarly situated in mainstream sets.

There's resources out there, like the top 100 or 200 cards in the hobby, that can give you guidance on what is viewed by some/many as the most desirable or valuable cards, many of which an be had for under $10,000 in very desirable shape.

Good luck!!

darwinbulldog 04-11-2019 07:50 AM

Better yet, figure out what they're going to add when they change it to the Top 300 Sports Cards in the Hobby and buy the highest graded PSA examples you can afford of those 50 cards.

Peter_Spaeth 04-11-2019 08:07 AM

You will get as many answers as there are posters. Which I am sure will be helpful.

barrysloate 04-11-2019 08:12 AM

So people now want to invest in baseball cards without being card collectors and without any knowledge of what they should buy. Does that concern anyone?

frankbmd 04-11-2019 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1869260)
You will get as many answers as there are posters. Which I am sure will be helpful.

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrysloate (Post 1869262)
So people now want to invest in baseball cards without being card collectors and without any knowledge of what they should buy. Does that concern anyone?

Years ago I always went to the barber shop to get investment advice, but since I now have no hair, I’m stuck with Net54.:eek:

Mark17 04-11-2019 08:19 AM

Quote:

Great point.

I would suggest they get a box of 500 silver Maple Leaf ounce coins for about $8,500 and the best PSA graded T205 Joss they could get for the remainder of the dough. To me, that is the most under-rated card in that set.

ullmandds 04-11-2019 08:21 AM

Quote:

I'd recommend fine 18th century english furniture...always in good taste!!!!

Peter_Spaeth 04-11-2019 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 1869265)
Years ago I always went to the barber shop to get investment advice, but since I now have no hair, I’m stuck with Net54.:eek:

I hope you followed the sage advice not long ago to buy bitcoin.:eek:

darwinbulldog 04-11-2019 08:27 AM

Quote:

I think it's just a sly way to get people to divulge what they're hiding in their collections.

x2drich2000 04-11-2019 08:29 AM

Quote:

Not anymore than people who blindly put money into the stock market or their 401k without researching the funds they have chosen. People should have a full understanding of what they are investing in regardless of the type of investment.

packs 04-11-2019 08:33 AM

I'd put the money into multiple blue chip cards over one card. Let's say you buy that Cobb PC and you make $5,000. Maybe that's good, but I'd rather buy all the Green Cobbs I could with 10K and then make the multiples later. If you bought 5 Green Cobbs for 10K 5 years ago you're looking at a huge windfall now.

Cozumeleno 04-11-2019 08:34 AM

Based on the rarity and where the green Ty Cobb T206 is, Cobb's T205 has seemed undervalued to me for a while.

conor912 04-11-2019 08:42 AM

Quote:

This was my first thought. This is not good. Once people who have no idea what they're doing start getting in, it usually signifies a problem.

rjackson44 04-11-2019 08:47 AM

leons card is gorgeous

barrysloate 04-11-2019 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1869267)
I'd recommend fine 18th century english furniture...always in good taste!!!!

I hear 18th century English furniture makes excellent fire wood.:)

LincolnVT 04-11-2019 09:11 AM

Something Ruth related...

Republicaninmass 04-11-2019 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by conor912 (Post 1869277)
This was my first thought. This is not good. Once people who have no idea what they're doing start getting in, it usually signifies a problem.

Quoted for truth

The Nasty Nati 04-11-2019 10:06 AM

My opinion. Invest in the bluechip sets of T206, 1933 Goudey, and 1952 Topps. People will always come back to those sets. Of the 3 sets, I think Goudey have the greatest potential for growth. Many of the key Hofers are undervalued IMO.

And if you're looking outside of the Big 3 sets, I think a good investment is picking up the true rookie cards of HoFers. Oldcardboard.com has a great list of HOF rookie cards. Postcards and Exhibit RCs that were once ignored are now seeing a surge and they will only go up. Collectors more and more care about first appearances and I think the Bowman Chrome Prospect craze has fueled that.

groundskeeper 04-11-2019 10:06 AM

I would not "invest" in cards.
THAT SAID, there are ones I clearly think are going to decline, long run.

Mickey Mantle has almost no appeal for people of my generation. Zero. The prices people pay on those cards are purely Baby Boomer supported.

Cobb seems like a blue chip legend but if even a TASTE of the social justice movement gets into this hobby, he is going to take a serious hit. I know I avoid Cap Anson cards for this reason. Try selling that in 20 years for a profit (over inflation).

I bought Cy Young as one of my first cards because it seemed cheap for a guy with contemporary name recognition (CY Young Award hit the news every year), and he will never lose the most wins record. But I think there's a ceiling to his appeal, and it is approaching.

Ruth is the king. The gold standard.

The Nasty Nati 04-11-2019 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by groundskeeper (Post 1869302)

Mickey Mantle has almost no appeal for people of my generation. Zero. The prices people pay on those cards are purely Baby Boomer supported.

Fair point, but even when the baby boomer generation dies off, kids of baby boomers will still want to collect Mantle as it was their father's favorite player of that generation.

And I think 30 years from now, the 1952 Mantle will always be a top 5 card in the hobby. That card single-handedly started the card collecting craze of the 1980s/90s. Now kids from the 1980s/90s are in their 30s and 40s and they will have spending power for quite some time.

Huysmans 04-11-2019 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x2drich2000 (Post 1869271)
Not anymore than people who blindly put money into the stock market or their 401k without researching the funds they have chosen. People should have a full understanding of what they are investing in regardless of the type of investment.

Huge difference in that the stock market has been the traditional vehicle for investments. The same cannot be stated in any realistic or tangible way regarding baseball cards.

Golfcollector 04-11-2019 10:23 AM

If you want a rare cobb you might be able to offer around 10K. I think the seller may take it (and no, I am not the seller and do not know the seller) :D

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PSA-7-TY-CO...kAAOSwGIZcU24N

AGuinness 04-11-2019 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x2drich2000 (Post 1869271)

This is it in a nutshell. More people put more money in blue chip stocks or index funds without due diligence than in sports cards, and I'm sure EVERY investment (or quasi-investment) has a certain percentage of people doing this.
One of my biggest lessons, whether for my PC or cards I intent to flip, is to buy cards that I will enjoy even if the market collapses. I may lose, but I will still have something to enjoy.
With that in mind, I'd also suggest that your family member consider other places to invest this money. From your description, this $10k isn't going to make or break them, so I would ask them what they are interested in or passionate about and find something that they can get personal enjoyment out of. Art, wine, comics, tulip bulbs (ok, maybe not that), vinyl, whatever. This could be more than an opportunity to make money, this could be a chance to develop a hobby and gain more experience and expertise in a field they enjoy.

AGuinness 04-11-2019 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huysmans (Post 1869307)
Huge difference in that the stock market has been the traditional vehicle for investments. The same cannot be stated in any realistic or tangible way regarding baseball cards.

I think it's completely realistic and tangible to say that people put money in the stock market and in baseball cards without doing enough due diligence. And real estate, currency, stamps and on and on, traditional or not.

Leon 04-11-2019 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 1869265)

LOL

And Barry, I don't personally care if people want to invest in cards without knowing or even liking them. It's American and I have a laissez-faire attitude.

groundskeeper 04-11-2019 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Nasty Nati (Post 1869306)
Fair point, but even when the baby boomer generation dies off, kids of baby boomers will still want to collect Mantle as it was their father's favorite player of that generation.

And I think 30 years from now, the 1952 Mantle will always be a top 5 card in the hobby. That card single-handedly started the card collecting craze of the 1980s/90s. Now kids from the 1980s/90s are in their 30s and 40s and they will have spending power for quite some time.

I can only speak for myself, but as someone in his 30s whose father liked Mickey Mantle, I will never buy that card anywhere in the same universe as the current prices. He's below Dimaggio on the collector scale to me. I got Mantle in my Ted Williams-tier price range. Seeing the 52 sell in the MILLIONS.....uhhh, that is going to crash. If I didn't know any prices, I'd think a 52 Mantle PSA 7 would be worth about $8,500 to me right now.

Peter_Spaeth 04-11-2019 10:46 AM

Quote:

Cobb seems like a blue chip legend but if even a TASTE of the social justice movement gets into this hobby, he is going to take a serious hit. I know I avoid Cap Anson cards for this reason. Try selling that in 20 years for a profit (over inflation).

I bought Cy Young as one of my first cards because it seemed cheap for a guy with contemporary name recognition (CY Young Award hit the news every year), and he will never lose the most wins record. But I think there's a ceiling to his appeal, and it is approaching.

Agreed on Ruth. I think Gehrig and Jackie Robinson have transcendent appeal too.

icollectDCsports 04-11-2019 10:50 AM

One word: Plastics!

Huysmans 04-11-2019 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AGuinness (Post 1869313)
I think it's completely realistic and tangible to say that people put money in the stock market and in baseball cards without doing enough due diligence. And real estate, currency, stamps and on and on, traditional or not.

Sorry, while I agree that people should know what they're investing in, this logic is spurious.
Line up people with money to invest and ask them which they would sooner choose, baseball cards or the stock market... with no knowledge whatsoever of either, most if not all will choose the stock market. Again, one is tried and tested, the other, not in any perceivable way, hence, the comparison is not apt.

griffon512 04-11-2019 10:53 AM

Quote:

If you were investing in Confederate statues I'd worry. I wouldn't overly worry about a similar dynamic on vintage baseball cards/players. If it does hit vintage cards there will be much bigger issues to be concerned about than our hobby.

Huysmans 04-11-2019 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by groundskeeper (Post 1869318)
I can only speak for myself, but as someone in his 30s whose father liked Mickey Mantle, I will never buy that card anywhere in the same universe as the current prices. He's below Dimaggio on the collector scale to me. I got Mantle in my Ted Williams-tier price range. Seeing the 52 sell in the MILLIONS.....uhhh, that is going to crash. If I didn't know any prices, I'd think a 52 Mantle PSA 7 would be worth about $8,500 to me right now.

Prices reflect that you are definitely in the minority regarding this thinking. There seems to be no cap on Mantle's value, and to say they will "crash", with all due respect, seems utterly ridiculous.

ALBB 04-11-2019 11:03 AM

invest

Wow, everybody and the mother got opinions on how to spend 10 grand of somebody else's money !

Me Too - I say find an incredibly high end graded( 8's and 9's .or higher PSA registry top 5 ??) complete set from early 70s …..there will always be somebody somewhere,someday that will pay big bucks for that type of thing

glchen 04-11-2019 11:06 AM

Zeenut Joe Dimaggio

Touch'EmAll 04-11-2019 11:12 AM

Late 1980's Buick Grand National, original and in cherry condition.

oldjudge 04-11-2019 11:18 AM

i think 19th century photographic cards have started to pop. That would be my recommendation.

AGuinness 04-11-2019 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huysmans (Post 1869323)
Sorry, while I agree that people should know what they're investing in, this logic is spurious.
Line up people with money to invest and ask them which they would sooner choose, baseball cards or the stock market... with no knowledge whatsoever of either, most if not all will choose the stock market. Again, one is tried and tested, the other, not in any perceivable way, hence, the comparison is not apt.

I think the point of comparison with the stock market is that both cards and stocks have uneducated people investing, which is apt because the risk inherent in that approach (regardless of investment type). This thread is not an "either/or" exercise about lining people up to pick sides, as I have read it.
Even so, on this tangent, I might take the side that the sports card market has at least some perceivable way been tested through a few decades of auction house results, even if this testing is in its infancy.

Yastrzemski Sports 04-11-2019 11:34 AM

I would buy the cleanest Babe Ruth ball I could find.

Huysmans 04-11-2019 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AGuinness (Post 1869344)
I think the point of comparison with the stock market is that both cards and stocks have uneducated people investing, which is apt because the risk inherent in that approach (regardless of investment type). This thread is not an "either/or" exercise about lining people up to pick sides, as I have read it.
Even so, on this tangent, I might take the side that the sports card market has at least some perceivable way been tested through a few decades of auction house results, even if this testing is in its infancy.

If this "tested through a few decades of auction house results" was in any way whatsoever perceived as legitimate, investors would be lining up, as traders are constantly looking for the newest or next big thing. This is not happening in any shape or form.

And the original question postulated was should people putting money into cards with no knowledge be concerning to others, with the answer I questioned being NOT ANYMORE SO than the stock market....
so yes, there is an either/or as baseball card investments to an endless plethora would be MORE concerning - regardless of knowledge of either - because of the aforementioned reasons given, ie, established market, registered companies, accumulative gains/loses, feasible research and on and on...

tschock 04-11-2019 12:00 PM

Put it all in pre-1982 pennies. With the current meltdown value of just under 2 cents per penny, you could almost double your money in a few weeks. Just don't tell anyone. :cool:

The Nasty Nati 04-11-2019 12:22 PM

Does anyone also collect/invest in higher-end art? I'm wondering if there are similar correlations between art and baseball cards.

ullmandds 04-11-2019 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Nasty Nati (Post 1869359)
Does anyone also collect/invest in higher-end art? I'm wondering if there are similar correlations between art and baseball cards.

I collect various forms of art but I wouldn't categorize them as higher end! In the art world higher end implies many many millions to me?

Econteachert205 04-11-2019 01:08 PM

A little cold water: posts that begin like this usually signify market tops.

trambo 04-11-2019 01:56 PM

With this question, I'd say stick to something that isn't Mickey Mantle. Both the 51 bowman and 52 topps are very readily available if you're not concerned with price. I just don't see big upside there. I'd pick older stuff that may or may not be in favor right now. I don't think you can go wrong with a T205 or T206 Cobb or Young in the long term and I think those would appreciate faster than a Mantle.

As a few others have said, every post is a different answer and if we're discussing this, we're likely at the current market top. It will be interesting to see where the card market goes!!

AGuinness 04-11-2019 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huysmans (Post 1869353)
If this "tested through a few decades of auction house results" was in any way whatsoever perceived as legitimate, investors would be lining up, as traders are constantly looking for the newest or next big thing. This is not happening in any shape or form.

I think we may be seeing things from a different angle. But from my corner of the hobby (and I am one of the smaller-scale collectors out there), and forgive me if this is addressing a different point than you are making, this IS happening in ways, shapes and forms. Investors do appear to be lining up, and have been. Various threads on this board address the numerous articles by Forbes on investing in baseball cards, collectors here and elsewhere often bring up the specter of "foreign investors" or somesuch when diving into price surges, PWCC has a section on their website for "Investors," the term "investment grade" is now well-established in the hobby, and even threads on this board dating from 2002 discuss investment in cards - and I'm sure there's many many other examples out there.
Anyway, I feel like this is a big tangent on a thread designed to help a board member's family in finding cards to fit their goals, and the tangent is perhaps belabored by now. Apologies to the OP if this has detracted from your inquiry!