Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   "Mr. Spitter" Passes Away (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=328333)

marzoumanian 12-01-2022 10:12 AM

"Mr. Spitter" Passes Away

Just heard that HOF pitcher Gaylord Perry passed away. He was 84. As a young adult I bought his book, "Me and the Spitter," where he admitted to throwing the pitch. He was crafty and sly. I was fortunate enough to see him pitch in person. An incredibly durable career. RIP, Gaylord.

D. Bergin 12-01-2022 10:36 AM

I remember Gaylord when I was a kid from perhaps the most unimportant part of his career. In 1979 and 1980 when the Yankees were for some reason stock-piling old-time great pitchers near the end of their careers.

Gaylord Perry, Luis Tiant, Jim Kaat and Tommy John (who was still pitching damn good at the time).

Most of them were only a shadow of themselves, but all were entertaining or at least interesting when they pitched...especially Tiant.

Touch'EmAll 12-01-2022 11:08 AM

I remember as a kid in 1978 - Perry was almost 40 years old and he won his 2nd Cy Young award. Went 21-6 with 2.73 ERA. A standout season I will never forget.

Sad to hear him pass.

Casey2296 12-01-2022 11:14 AM

RIP Mr Perry. I remember shaking his hand at a card show as a kid, massive hands and strong, could probably put a crease in the ball just by twisting it.

mr2686 12-01-2022 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casey2296 (Post 2289040)
RIP Mr Perry. I remember shaking his hand at a card show as a kid, massive hands and strong, could probably put a crease in the ball just by twisting it.

Funny but that's what I remember about the first time I saw him at a show. Watching him pitch, I never realized what large hands and arms he had. He looked more like a power hitter than a pitcher when I shook his hand.

Peter_Spaeth 12-01-2022 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Touch'EmAll (Post 2289039)
I remember as a kid in 1978 - Perry was almost 40 years old and he won his 2nd Cy Young award. Went 21-6 with 2.73 ERA. A standout season I will never forget.

Sad to hear him pass.

As I recall his catcher claimed he didn't throw a single spitter that year, he was just in people's heads.

ledsters 12-01-2022 01:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 545040

todeen 12-01-2022 02:16 PM

I met him in Spokane at an autograph signing. I was 11 or 12 yo, in like 1997 or 1998. I remember him as an affable personality that was filling the room with his presence. He was fairly loud and I could hear him talking from quite a ways away. I had no clue who he was, although my dad tried to tell me some basic bio points about him.

Late 90s was the height of sports card collecting in Spokane. One card store brought in someone to sign autographs maybe every 3-6 months. I saw Don Larsen, Harmon Killebrew, Maury Wills, Gaylord Perry and one or two others. Then the card store owner retired. Another card shop tried to get one signer maybe every two years. And then it completely stopped by 2001.

mattsey9 12-01-2022 04:15 PM

One of my favorite baseball stories is the time a reporter went up to his 5 year old daughter and asked her if she knew what that pitch was that her daddy threw to get everyone out. Apparently, she looked the reporter dead in the eye and said, "It's a hard slider."

RIP

Harliduck 12-01-2022 04:40 PM

He will always be a legend in Seattle...won his 300th game here in the twilight of his career. I was able to meet him after a game (through my LL coach who knew him) and he was an awesome guy. Taught me how he threw a knuckleball...I didn't even know he threw one...I still use what he showed me when I play catch...haha. Anyhow, sad to hear...great guy...one of Seattle's first exposure to any type of MLB history!

JollyElm 12-01-2022 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harliduck (Post 2289141)
He will always be a legend in Seattle...won his 300th game here in the twilight of his career. I was able to meet him after a game (through my LL coach who knew him) and he was an awesome guy. Taught me how he threw a knuckleball...I didn't even know he threw one...I still use what he showed me when I play catch...haha. Anyhow, sad to hear...great guy...one of Seattle's first exposure to any type of MLB history!

You, sir, are a nightmare! A guy on my softball team would suddenly do that, slipping in a knuckleball when we were warming up pre-game, and BONK!! off my head it would go. I still wake up in a cold sweat thinking about it. :cool:

ullmandds 12-01-2022 08:03 PM

you just don't see people named gaylord anymore...rip.

jethrod3 12-01-2022 08:04 PM

I had the pleasure of meeting Gaylord Perry in 2007 when he was in San Francisco attending the All-star game. I approached him in the lobby the second time I'd seen him there, and said I just had to ask him if he was Gaylord Perry. He was such a humble gentlemen, and we talked about how he had been keeping busy since his retirement. He graciously signed a ball that I happened to have with me from a conference exhibitor I had visited earlier that day. That ball overlooks my left shoulder in my study every day. RIP, Gaylord Perry.

Harliduck 12-01-2022 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyElm (Post 2289200)
You, sir, are a nightmare! A guy on my softball team would suddenly do that, slipping in a knuckleball when we were warming up pre-game, and BONK!! off my head it would go. I still wake up in a cold sweat thinking about it. :cool:

Haha...that is DEFINITELY ME...I coached fastpitch softball (my daughter) for several years and I could/can throw a wicked knuckler with the bigger ball...I've pissed people off...hahaha...

Tabe 12-01-2022 10:16 PM

Quote:

When I coached high school baseball, I loved catching the warmup of guys in the bullpen. Had one kid - a rascal that I liked a lot - who threw 85+. He LOVED to throw in a knuckler or two to mess with me. Little turd, LOL.

Bill77 12-01-2022 10:35 PM

Quote:

My cousin did that to me when I was about 8. We were playing catch and he tells me he's going to throw me a knuckle ball. Just as throw was coming someone yelled something and the ball hit me in the forehead and dropped me like a sack of potatoes. Fun times.

lowpopper 12-02-2022 01:36 AM

oh, the selective outrage among the baseball fans :rolleyes:

mrreality68 12-02-2022 04:16 AM

Great Stories, Great Player and he had an interesting Public Personality

RIP

pclpads 12-02-2022 01:22 PM

When he played for the Pads and won his '78 CY, the fans used to call him, "Graylord," due to his age and white hair. What a character. RIP!

1952boyntoncollector 12-02-2022 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 2289202)

right but there are many gaylord palms

peanuts 12-02-2022 02:58 PM

RIP to a legend of the game and one of it's most entertaining characters.

Glad that he was able to share so many of his stories with all of us fans and that his memory will live on.

Huck 12-02-2022 03:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yesterday, I was on a news site and saw a blurb that Perry had died. Over the years I have added Perry to the autograph collection numerous times. The last time was in 2011. I was wondering about his health because he had not been appearing on the circuit that often. One of my Perry items.

Huck 12-02-2022 03:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
SI covers. I have the 1966 cover signed as well, I just could not remember which box it is stored in.

brian1961 12-03-2022 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 2289202)

You're right, Dr. Ullman. I well recall his beautiful 1967 Coca-Cola premium (printed by Dexter Press). He signed that big card "Gay Perry", as a take to the popular phrase, "Gay Paris". Gaylord had some extraordinary years; when he had his break-out season in 1966, his record got to 20-1, or 20-2, before he tailed off a little bit. As I recall, he did the same thing with lowly Cleveland at the beginning of 1974, during his second CY YOUNG season. Yup, that twirler threw one of the greatest "hard sliders". RIP, Mr. Perry. May God rest his soul, and comfort his family at this dreadful time.

Yes, we remember you well, Gaylord! --- Brian Powell

Tabe 12-03-2022 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brian1961 (Post 2289661)
You're right, Dr. Ullman. I well recall his beautiful 1967 Coca-Cola premium (printed by Dexter Press). He signed that big card "Gay Perry", as a take to the popular phrase, "Gay Paris". Gaylord had some extraordinary years; when he had his break-out season in 1966, his record got to 20-1, or 20-2, before he tailed off a little bit.

20-2. What a start!

Roger Clemens is the only pitcher to have a 20-1 record at any point.

JLange 12-04-2022 05:51 AM

Gaylord Perry

1 Attachment(s)
RIP Gaylord Perry. He signed this for me a few years back at the CLE National.

sreader3 12-04-2022 04:10 PM

2 Attachment(s)
A couple more.