Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Which Auction House?? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=293981)

jfkheat 12-28-2020 10:30 AM

Which Auction House??

I am thinking about consigning my extra Red Heart set to one of the online auction houses. Which one would you guys recommend? The set is all PSA 8 or higher and is #8 on the PSA registry. It has a VCP average sales value of just over $14,000. I don't know if it should be sold as a completed set or broken up. What should I expect for consignment fees? Click the link below to look at the set.
Thank you, James

https://www.psacard.com/psasetregist...shedset/377894

BRoberts 12-28-2020 10:50 AM

The same people will always recommend the same auction houses, no matter what the consignment. Do yourself a favor and make your own inquiries to the top auction houses. See what offers you receive as far as consignment rates, how to sell the set (as a set or individually or a hybrid), and whatever other questions you have. Lots of people who never have consigned, let alone run an auction house or business, will freely offer advice that's often not worth squat. (You might also want to ask each auction house which software platform they use.)

Casey2296 12-28-2020 11:41 AM

Two of the hardest working guys in the auction business are Al Crisafulli at Love of the Game auctions and Scott at Birmingham auctions. Every time I have called either one of them they have picked up the phone which means a lot to me since I am customer service oriented. Great guys to deal with. Of course do your own due diligence with other auction houses as Bill stated. Good luck with your consignment.

trambo 12-28-2020 12:38 PM

before you look for an auction house, have you thought of selling it yourself? For something like that, you may just find someone who is willing to pay your price and you would save 10-20% of the final value of the total auction price.

I've had pretty good luck on ebay and here selling larger ticket items. Sure you miss the potential of two people ego buying but I would bet that happens fairly infrequently. Good luck with it, whatever you do!!

Griffins 12-28-2020 12:41 PM

I sold a similar set last year on various facebook groups. It was all PSA 8, and I think all but 2 cards sold within hours, priced at current vcp levels with only paypal fees, so I netted about 97% of the sale price. Could not have been easier.

jfkheat 12-28-2020 01:03 PM

Thanks for the responses. I have thought about selling it myself. There aren't many people that are willing to spend what it would take to buy the set. If I broke it up and sell individual cards I am worried about getting stuck with the "commons". If I consign with one of the big auction houses there would be no consignment fees. I sold off a big part of my collection this year by listing in Facebook groups. I had good results by pricing the cards reasonably. I don't really want to try selling it on eBay.

cornhusker 12-28-2020 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfkheat (Post 2050417)
Thanks for the responses. I have thought about selling it myself. There aren't many people that are willing to spend what it would take to buy the set. If I broke it up and sell individual cards I am worried about getting stuck with the "commons". If I consign with one of the big auction houses there would be no consignment fees. I sold off a big part of my collection this year by listing in Facebook groups. I had good results by pricing the cards reasonably. I don't really want to try selling it on eBay.

Which "big auction house" would not charge you a consignment fee?

Griffins 12-28-2020 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfkheat (Post 2050417)

for me the commons went first. The last 2 I was left with were Mantle and Musial, those I ended up listing on ebay. But this was pre covid, suspect in the hotter market those would sell just as fast.

jfkheat 12-28-2020 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cornhusker (Post 2050435)

Quite a few of the auction houses will do this on higher valued items.

Aquarian Sports Cards 12-28-2020 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cornhusker (Post 2050435)

As a complete set, without breaking it, a number of auctions would be happy to do zero commission.

swarmee 12-28-2020 02:58 PM

The "Buyers Premium" is effectively a 20-25% commission. So having zero seller's fees is not the same as having no fees.

perezfan 12-28-2020 03:09 PM

If you go the auction route, LOTG or REA would be my top two recommendations. Either one should give you a nice consignor's fee (or lack thereof!)

jfkheat 01-14-2021 03:28 PM

I received a cash offer for this set that I was happy with. The set has been sold.

bobbyw8469 01-14-2021 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swarmee (Post 2050460)
The "Buyers Premium" is effectively a 20-25% commission. So having zero seller's fees is not the same as having no fees.

Correct....they can say we don't charge a seller's fee all they want. The 20% buyers fee is usually taken into account when setting a final price.

brianp-beme 01-14-2021 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 (Post 2055984)
Correct....they can say we don't charge a seller's fee all they want. The 20% buyers fee is usually taken into account when setting a final price.

That's why Brockelman Auctions 12.5% buyers fee is incredibly attractive to me as a consigner, because he has 0% sellers fee on all consignments.

brianp(arker)-beme

kmac32 01-14-2021 09:05 PM

I have sold through Heritage and REA and both were good experiences. Had a really good rate from Heritage for a near complete set of W572 strip cards and got hat I expected. The rate I got from REA was not as good but the end result was better than I expected. Both auction houses have large followings but I personally think the REA group has a more educated prewar following.

Talked to Al At Love of the Game when I was selling my W572 set and he actually offered me zero% comission on the set. Liked Al but at the time I felt Heritage had a bigger audience. Now, a few years later, would probably use Al over Heritage given the same commission rates. He really is a hard worker and I appreciate that.

campyfan39 01-14-2021 09:11 PM

Congrats! I looked at your link and wow are they nice. The Musial just pops right off the screen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfkheat (Post 2055951)
I received a cash offer for this set that I was happy with. The set has been sold.

Jdoggs 01-15-2021 11:06 PM

Congrats on selling your set.

Johnny630 01-16-2021 06:21 AM

Rea