Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Joe Orlando - New Job (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=322920)

taul166 08-01-2022 01:50 PM

Joe Orlando - New Job

Did folks hear Joe Orlando, formerly of PSA and just recently Collectable, now works for Heritage?

Peter_Spaeth 08-01-2022 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taul166 (Post 2247980)
Did folks hear Joe Orlando, formerly of PSA and just recently Collectable, now works for Heritage?

I am not surprised, when he left PSA many felt that is where he would end up.

oldjudge 08-01-2022 03:52 PM

I’ve always liked Joe—I wish him well in his new job

clamendo 08-01-2022 04:28 PM

I saw Joe at the National. He always has a smile on his face and is a great guy. I’m sure he’ll be successful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peter_Spaeth 08-01-2022 05:19 PM

Joe did a phenomenal job growing the PSA brand. My opinion, and it's just that, is that he did not do enough to stop the proliferation of trimmed and altered cards.

Leon 08-02-2022 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldjudge (Post 2248034)
i’ve always liked joe—i wish him well in his new job

+1

Snowman 08-02-2022 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2248068)
Joe did a phenomenal job growing the PSA brand. My opinion, and it's just that, is that he did not do enough to stop the proliferation of trimmed and altered cards.

What do you think he could or should have done to prevent this?

Peter_Spaeth 08-02-2022 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowman (Post 2248428)
What do you think he could or should have done to prevent this?

Scrutinized subs from known/strongly suspected card doctors much more closely. Not allowed the cozy grader dealer relationships that were fostered at the Invitationals. Not gone into the ostrich act when the scandal broke. In general, across the board, made it a much higher priority and a part of the company culture than the other way around. Made the graders use the tools actually available to them like a blacklight.

mantlefan 08-02-2022 07:29 PM

Luck

Best to Joe O. in his new gig.

Snowman 08-02-2022 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2248437)
Scrutinized subs from known/strongly suspected card doctors much more closely. Not allowed the cozy grader dealer relationships that were fostered at the Invitationals. Not gone into the ostrich act when the scandal broke. In general, across the board, made it a much higher priority and a part of the company culture than the other way around. Made the graders use the tools actually available to them like a blacklight.

Do you think he was blindsided by the extent of the trimming scandal, or do you think he was mostly already aware that this was happening and he just didn't think it was that big of a deal?

The challenge I keep coming up against when entertaining this thought experiment is that even if they had tried to crack down on known trimmers, I don't think it would have made much of an impact on the problem at large since there are a seemingly endless number of group submitters that they could still send their cards through.

Peter_Spaeth 08-02-2022 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowman (Post 2248492)
Do you think he was blindsided by the extent of the trimming scandal, or do you think he was mostly already aware that this was happening and he just didn't think it was that big of a deal?

The challenge I keep coming up against when entertaining this thought experiment is that even if they had tried to crack down on known trimmers, I don't think it would have made much of an impact on the problem at large since there are a seemingly endless number of group submitters that they could still send their cards through.

My opinion, and I acknowledge it's only based on educated guesswork and some speculation, is that he was pretty knowledgeable about what went on in the hobby and was probably more surprised by how much BODA was able to uncover than by what they uncovered. Put another way, I'd be surprised if someone that smart and that immersed in the hobby and its participants could have been blindsided.

As to your second point, there is some truth to that, but I continue to think that regardless of who submitted them, more scrutiny would have uncovered a lot of the bad cards. I can't believe, for example, that many of these recolored cards we've seen would not have stood out under a blacklight. Or that an experienced grader could have really looked closely at some of the trimmed cards we saw.

Tying in to another discussion, I speculate that TPGs scrutinize the man on the street's cards more closely than favored big submitters.

Aquarian Sports Cards 08-03-2022 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2248500)
My opinion, and I acknowledge it's only based on educated guesswork and some speculation, is that he was pretty knowledgeable about what went on in the hobby and was probably more surprised by how much BODA was able to uncover than by what they uncovered. Put another way, I'd be surprised if someone that smart and that immersed in the hobby and its participants could have been blindsided.

As to your second point, there is some truth to that, but I continue to think that regardless of who submitted them, more scrutiny would have uncovered a lot of the bad cards. I can't believe, for example, that many of these recolored cards we've seen would not have stood out under a blacklight. Or that an experienced grader could have really looked closely at some of the trimmed cards we saw.

Tying in to another discussion, I speculate that TPGs scrutinize the man on the street's cards more closely than favored big submitters.

Any submission with a certain number, or maybe percentage, of altered cards is an instant ban. Should encourage the group submitters to be careful who they deal with.

taul166 08-03-2022 10:28 AM

I don't know Joe and never talked to him before bumping into him at the National. Very friendly guy especially with someone he had never met before. He was willing to chat. I just casually mentioned his leaving Collectable. He said Collectable turned out in just a short amount of time to not be the right place for him. He did not criticize Collectable or the people there, and said the fractional ownership has its place in the hobby. He seemed proud of his time at PSA but we did not talk about his departure. It will be interesting to see what his role is at Heritage and how he fits in with the existing Heritage hierarchy and what he winds up doing.

sreader3 08-03-2022 07:32 PM

Joe was always very supportive of my baseball card research and writings. He also responded personally and thoughtfully to my inquiries and concerns about PSA services and grading. I had the pleasure of meeting him once. Good guy in my book. I wish him well.

Peter_Spaeth 08-03-2022 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 2248599)
Any submission with a certain number, or maybe percentage, of altered cards is an instant ban. Should encourage the group submitters to be careful who they deal with.

Scott, I think you me and three other guys even care.