Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   T206 Nodgrass Variation (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=63829)

Archive 08-11-2003 05:09 PM

T206 Nodgrass Variation

Posted By: <b>Jim Rivera&nbsp; </b><p>Any information on this card needed~<BR> <BR>Does this card only come in the batting pose?<BR>Does it exist with more than one back advertisement?<BR>Can a players name be erased and the card still pass PSA grading service? <BR>Any information would be a great help.<BR>Anyone liking a scan of the card I am questioning please email<BR>stemmers37@att.net<BR>Thank you<BR>Jim Rivera(cfc1909)

Archive 08-11-2003 06:22 PM

T206 Nodgrass Variation

Posted By: <b>Brian Weisner</b><p><BR><BR> Hi Jim<BR> The answer to all of your questions is <BR><BR> YES. <BR>Some are real and some are altered, so unless your certain steer clear. Be well Brian

Archive 08-12-2003 11:30 AM

T206 Nodgrass Variation

Posted By: <b>Marc S.</b><p>I would not consider purchasing a Nodgrass variation in the current environment unless:<BR><BR>a) you can personally view the card and examinate it closely under lighted loupe under a variation of angles, etc.<BR><BR>b) if you cannot view it personally beforehand, I would only consider purchasing it if it has at least part of the "S" still present. Of all the altered ones I have seen personally or through scans -- the "S" has been completely missing each time. Many of the authentic examples have at least a portion of the "S" still present -- usually the top left if memory serves me correctly. I have not encountered an altered example that has any portion of the "S" still there. There are authentic one(s) without any portion of the S, but I would be extremely wary of any such examples unless you could personally view them and convince yourself (And hopefully other experts) that it is authentic and unaltered.

Archive 08-12-2003 11:35 AM

T206 Nodgrass Variation

Posted By: <b>runscott</b><p>If a "nodgrass" with a partial "S" is not appealing, then why would a "nodgrass" with no "S" be much more appealing? i.e.- think about how this "problem" occurred and then you might not be so interested in adding the card to your collection.<BR><BR>But it's all just a matter of personal taste - I like the printer's scrap cards, but others on this board consider them to have the same value as did the printers back in 1909 who tossed them in the can.

Archive 08-12-2003 12:46 PM

T206 Nodgrass Variation

Posted By: <b>Dan Mckee</b><p>Your only mistake is "under a loop" this will show nothing. The fakes look great 10X magnified, you can only see the work when you hold them under a regular light bulb and about a foot away from you and tilt it slightly. You will then see a small round dull spot where the "S" was removed. I have owned 4 REAL ones in my 34 years, ALL had a part of the right side of the "S" still present. That statement was on the money! Dan.

Archive 08-12-2003 12:48 PM

T206 Nodgrass Variation

Posted By: <b>Dan Mckee</b><p>Oops! Absolutely only the batting pose exists! Bob Lemke has removed the catching pose from the catalog. No one I know has ever seen a catching pose Nodgrass prior to the late 1990's.