Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   MLB Labor dispute affects Game Used items from Teams (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=311408)

Trublubrucru 12-02-2021 09:41 AM

MLB Labor dispute affects Game Used items from Teams

I just got back from the annual Brewers Clubhouse Sale, and for the first time there were no bats, jerseys, or anything Game Used at the sale. The team store and the website were wiped clean of everything game used. I was told that because of the labor negotiations with the players union, they weren't allowed to sell player used stuff. Prices from the teams were getting absurd anyway, and I don't see them getting any better. Modern stuff is overpriced and overproduced, and this might be a turning point for collectors

ajenks3378 12-02-2021 02:07 PM

Agreed
If you look at mlb auctions the only things listed are things like banners, team issued items, bases etc.
Most modern items are sold for crazy prices which will be hard to realize again once they sell the first time.
I usually buy a few team issued jerseys a year and hope the player does well.
Andy

mrreality68 12-02-2021 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trublubrucru (Post 2170423)
I just got back from the annual Brewers Clubhouse Sale, and for the first time there were no bats, jerseys, or anything Game Used at the sale. The team store and the website were wiped clean of everything game used. I was told that because of the labor negotiations with the players union, they weren't allowed to sell player used stuff. Prices from the teams were getting absurd anyway, and I don't see them getting any better. Modern stuff is overpriced and overproduced, and this might be a turning point for collectors

Agreed but it still sucks that collectors or fans cannot buy and enjoy

commishbob 12-02-2021 03:11 PM

MLB.com and the individual team sites have no mention or photos of current players. I looked at the Orioles site and found team history content which is actually a lot more interesting than reading the usual puff pieces about the terrible 2021 rostered players. :rolleyes:

Chris Counts 12-02-2021 05:19 PM

Now maybe collectors will discover that vintage game used memorabilia is priced far more fairly, and is ultimately way more interesting.

perezfan 12-03-2021 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Counts (Post 2170540)
Now maybe collectors will discover that vintage game used memorabilia is priced far more fairly, and is ultimately way more interesting.

Couldn't agree more.

Michael B 12-03-2021 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Counts (Post 2170540)

However, you cannot complain if some of the new blood starts outbidding you and causing prices to rise. It would help dealers and create new challenges for the long time collectors.

Gary Dunaier 12-05-2021 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajenks3378 (Post 2170497)
I usually buy a few team issued jerseys a year and hope the player does well.

Aren't "team issued" jerseys just jerseys that were in the clubhouse, in the player's locker, but the player never actually wore it?

roarfrom34 12-05-2021 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier (Post 2171329)
Aren't "team issued" jerseys just jerseys that were in the clubhouse, in the player's locker, but the player never actually wore it?

not necessarily; sometimes it just means that they didn't witness the player actually removing it post game

ajenks3378 12-05-2021 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roarfrom34 (Post 2171351)
not necessarily; sometimes it just means that they didn't witness the player actually removing it post game

Correct. Some of the team issued you can tell have been worn many times.