Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Newbie needing info (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=150306)

drumback 04-22-2012 03:48 PM

Newbie needing info

Been collecting for a long time, but just now getting interested in autographs. Anyway, I searched the archives and didn't really find the info I need. So, if this is an old topic, I apologize.

Are the modern card autographs of deadball era players considered legitimate by autograph experts? I'm referring to the Legendary Cuts, Limited Cuts, Signature Cuts, etc. Can I buy them and feel certain they are authentic? I'm interested in players such as Doc White, Davy Jones, Heinie Wagner.

Mark

phikappapsi 04-22-2012 03:53 PM

Yeah, I wouldn't have a concern about cuts coming from major brands... That said, I'd say to most vintage collectors, stuffing the cuts into a modern card is the least desirable of all the avenues to own a vintage sig... Most autograph collectors would prefer the original document... Ball, Check, letter, postcard, contract, tc etc...

You lose a lot of the historical ambiance of an auto from 1940 when you shove it inside a 2012 card membrane... The signature loses all it's context.

So, from an authenticity standpoint, you're most likely fine... It's still not something I'd go for

RichardSimon 04-22-2012 04:12 PM

I would have definite concerns about those cards.
I have seen a number of forgeries on those cards.
Go to my web page - www.richardsimonsports.com/hofauto2.htm and scroll down on the page, you will see some examples of bogus autographs on these modern day cards. I have written extensively about this problem and illustrated what I wrote.
Some of these companies used to buy from reputable dealers but for some reason, probably financial, they started to spread their buying around. And with the know nothings that worke for those companies, they wound up buying forgeries. I have also seen ghost signed (wife ghost signed mostly) autographs on some of those cards.
I agree with Phik in his comments about the look of the cards, the look of a vintage autograph on those modern cards is not an attractive one IMHO.

Mr. Zipper 04-22-2012 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardSimon (Post 986437)
I would have definite concerns about those cards.
I have seen a number of forgeries on those cards.
Go to my web page - www.richardsimonsports.com/hofauto2.htm and scroll down on the page, you will see some examples of bogus autographs on these modern day cards. I have written extensively about this problem and illustrated what I wrote.
Some of these companies used to buy from reputable dealers but for some reason, probably financial, they started to spread their buying around. And with the know nothings that worke for those companies, they wound up buying forgeries. I have also seen ghost signed (wife ghost signed mostly) autographs on some of those cards.
I agree with Phik in his comments about the look of the cards, the look of a vintage autograph on those modern cards is not an attractive one IMHO.

Ditto. Stay away from those cards and buy undamaged vintage items from reputable dealers such as Richard. :) To my knowledge, serious collectors tend to avoid manufactured cut cards.

travrosty 04-22-2012 05:04 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The answer is no you cannot buy them and feel safe that they are authentic.

They tend to buy documents on the cheap to cut up and put on the cards.
You get what they pay for.

And the buyer is usually charged way more than what they are worth (if they are real) based on the 1/1 nonsense that the seller tries to convince people of.

From Upper Deck.

Do these look good?

bender07 04-22-2012 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by travrosty (Post 986458)
The answer is no you cannot buy them and feel safe that they are authentic.

They tend to buy documents on the cheap to cut up and put on the cards.
You get what they pay for.

And the buyer is usually charged way more than what they are worth (if they are real) based on the 1/1 nonsense that the seller tries to convince people of.

From Upper Deck.

Do these look good?

And there's your answer

RichardSimon 04-22-2012 08:55 PM

I have a very large number of people on my mailing list who are autograph collectors. I get want lists from them regularly. Never once has anyone of them asked me for one of those type of cards.

Those cards are for gamblers, not serious collectors. You buy it at some ridiculous price and hope you can find someone stupid enough to pay you more for it. It is called the greater fool theory.

ps. thanks for the plug Steve, the check is in the mail :D:D.

drumback 04-23-2012 05:59 AM

Autographs

Thanks for the responses. That was about what I expected. Can anyone recommend legitimate dealers who might have what I am looking for? I have checked Richard's website, and although he has an impressive list of autographs, I didn't see any deadball era players.

Mark