Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   SGC is cranking on recent subs....WOW!!!!!!! (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297973)

vthobby 03-04-2021 01:02 PM

SGC is cranking on recent subs....WOW!!!!!!!

My hunch is that SGC has slowly been taking advantage of the crazy lag times with other TPGs.

I sent them 3 not so valuable vintage cards that they got on 3/1/21 and they are heading back! I paid $15 per card. (3 days turnaround!)

I submitted 8 (old labels with a range of values) and they logged them on 2/26/21. They are on their way back to me as of 3/4/21! (7 day turnaround)

I submitted 4 T206 cards (with 3 Hall of Famers) at the $15 per level and they logged them on 2/23/21 and they are now on the way back to me!! (9 day turnaround)

I send a lot to all companies based on which I feel is best for the card and this recent turnaround time with SGC is astounding!

Love it!

Peace, Mike

bobbyw8469 03-04-2021 01:07 PM

I would like to use them. Unfortunately, the values for their cards just aren't there yet. Maybe in the future though.

vthobby 03-04-2021 01:09 PM

I disagree......

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 (Post 2076671)
I would like to use them. Unfortunately, the values for their cards just aren't there yet. Maybe in the future though.

For high end SGC cards across the board, they compete with PSA all day. I should know, I pay higher sometimes for SGC cards in similar grades. I compete with others that are figuring this out every day.

The secret is out Bobby. I do enjoy less competition however. lol

To each his own though! All good!

Peace,

Mike

DanP 03-04-2021 01:10 PM

SGC Values

Quote:

I agree for post-war, but what about pre-war? I don't buy a lot of pre-war any more so I wouldn't know, but I thought their resale values held up vs. PSA with pre-war? If not, they are definitely in trouble!

vthobby 03-04-2021 01:18 PM

SGC is fine.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanP (Post 2076674)
I agree for post-war, but what about pre-war? I don't buy a lot of pre-war any more so I wouldn't know, but I thought their resale values held up vs. PSA with pre-war? If not, they are definitely in trouble!

Their re-sale values vs other TPGs are fine. There is a lot of misinformation out there. In realtion to the "trimming scandal" how many "trouble cards" do you see in SGC holders? Think about that.

I've been collecting since 1976, like a guy like Ted Z, I've seen plenty of cards that are not trimmed. I collect those very cards. Ones that come from original collections or ones that I opened in packs myself etc....

I've NEVER bought an SGC card that ended up on the "scandal boards" so to speak. Never bought another TPG either that has ended up on the boards.

We can argue prices all day but trust me, SGC is healthy pre-war. Newer cards I have no idea! :)

I hate to say this but it has served me quite well over the years...... "Buy the card.......not the holder". It really is that simple. :)

Experience and knowledge is healthy. SGC is a company that is not going away. Trust me on that! :)

Peace, Mike

Oscar_Stanage 03-04-2021 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vtgmsc (Post 2076678)
Their re-sale values vs other TPGs are fine. There is a lot of misinformation out there. In realtion to the "trimming scandal" how many "trouble cards" do you see in SGC holders? Think about that.

I've been collecting since 1976, like a guy like Ted Z, I've seen plenty of cards that are not trimmed. I collect those very cards. Ones that come from original collections etc....

I've NEVER bought an SGC card that ended up on the "boards" so to speak. Never bought another TPG either that has ended up on the boards.

We can argue prices all day but trust me, SGC is healthy pre-war. Newer cards I have no idea! :)

I hate to say this but it has served me quite well over the years...... "Buy the card.......not the holder". It really is that simple. :)

Experience and knowledge is healthy. SGC is a company that is not going away. Trust me on that! :)

Peace, Mike

I have found that people are pretty territorial about their TPGs. If you have spent a bunch of money slabbing PSA, you swear by PSA. if you are up in Canada, you defend KSA to the death. I personally gave my allegiance to SGC, so i am biased there.

What I do know is that SGC grades consistently and an SGC 9 is equivalent to a PSA 9 in terms of card quality. that PSA is some miraculous grader with more stringent standards is a complete myth. if someone wants to pay more for the slab / registry, go for it.

vthobby 03-04-2021 01:27 PM

Wisdom....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wid_Conroy (Post 2076679)
I have found that people are pretty territorial about their TPGs. If you have spent a bunch of money slabbing PSA, you swear by PSA. if you are up in Canada, you defend KSA to the death. I personally gave my allegiance to SGC, so i am biased there.

What I do know is that SGC grades consistently and an SGC 9 is equivalent to a PSA 9 in terms of card quality. that PSA is some miraculous grader with more stringent standards is a complete myth. if someone wants to pay more for the slab / registry, go for it.

There is wisdom in these words.....well said Wid. PS I was confused by your SGA allegiance! Until you corrected it! It appears others do type as fast as me with typos! lol

Peace, Mike

Oscar_Stanage 03-04-2021 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vtgmsc (Post 2076681)
There is wisdom in these words.....well said Wid. PS I was confused by your SGA allegiance! Until you corrected it! It appears others do type as fast as me with typos! lol

Peace, Mike

ha. i had to change it because I think there is an SGA that was basically a garage operation (similar to USA grading, SG LLC, etc). did not want to give anyone the wrong impression.

vthobby 03-04-2021 01:33 PM

Correct....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wid_Conroy (Post 2076684)
ha. i had to change it because I think there is an SGA that was basically a garage operation (similar to USA grading, SG LLC, etc). did not want to give anyone the wrong impression.

I thought that was odd but honestly, why don't these keyboards and phones know what we mean after all these years! hahahaha

Peace, Mike

Jcosta19 03-04-2021 01:36 PM

Awesome news. As soon as prices went up on Monday for PSA I shipped a 7 lower end card order for my PC to SGC.

They logged it in as recieved yesterday before USPS marked it as delivered. So thats a good sign.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

doug.goodman 03-04-2021 01:43 PM

Quote:

That's the kind of thought that makes those of us you don't pay for opinions chuckle.

"Their" cards? Hahahahaa.

Doug "I buy cards, not slabs" Goodman

Jason 03-04-2021 03:36 PM

That's good news thank you for sharing. Time to make a submission!

nsaddict 03-04-2021 03:59 PM

Are there collectors the defend KSA? Pardon my laughing as I come back to finish typing my comment!

Exhibitman 03-04-2021 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nsaddict (Post 2076740)
Are there collectors the defend KSA? Pardon my laughing as I come back to finish typing my comment!

Take off, you hoser!

mr2686 03-04-2021 04:19 PM

KSA is real? That's just nuttier than a Tim Horton's maple log.

Oscar_Stanage 03-04-2021 04:36 PM

Quote:

Lol it’s true. I was looking for a Gretzky rookie and found my way to a few hockey groups. Some disparaging comments were made about KSA and a lot of collectors took it personally and came to their defense vigorously. They are number 1 in volume with OPC Gretzky rookies , and possibly all of hockey. I think they are under new ownership and apparently really stepped up the last few years

Kutcher55 03-04-2021 04:48 PM

Great thread. With that sort of timing I am seriously tempted to submit cards for the first time ever, but no offense to the OP; I seriously doubt they will flip it in a week or two. You must have incriminating photos of the owner in drag or something.

I am not territorial about the grading companies, although I agree a lot of people are. I gladly collect any of the big 3 (PSA, SGC, BVG) as well as raw cards, but have never bought a graded card outside of the big 3. I agree PSA resale value is a bit above SGC, but it is card specific. I would say as the years go from 1940 and earlier up to 1970, the $value spread between like-for-like PSA and SGC increases %-wise. In other words, the pricing can be on parity pre 1950, but by the 70s, PSA takes over. I would presume the price delta between the two widens in the 80s and beyond although I don't collect slabs beyond the 70s.

Personally I think SGC and PSG are = in terms of grading toughness, both now and historically, and BVG is on average around a half to 3/4s of a grade easier. But this is just the average and I have seen cases where the BVG grade is = to what the PSA or SGC grade would be.

Lila2222 03-04-2021 04:49 PM

Funny you mention it, I looked back recently and realized before I knew anything about grading companies the cards I bought just on aesthetics alone tended to be SGC. I'm glad they're taking advantage of the ridiculous PSA grading times (response times too)/raised prices and building their business!

Lila2222 03-04-2021 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kutcher55 (Post 2076763)
Great thread. With that sort of timing I am seriously tempted to submit cards for the first time ever, but no offense to the OP; I seriously doubt they will flip it in a week or two. You must have incriminating photos of the owner in drag or something.

I am not territorial about the grading companies, although I agree a lot of people are. I gladly collect any of the big 3 (PSA, SGC, BVG) as well as raw cards, but have never bought a graded card outside of the big 3. I agree PSA resale value is a bit above SGC, but it is card specific. I would say as the years go from 1940 and earlier up to 1970, the $value spread between like-for-like PSA and SGC increases %-wise. In other words, the pricing can be on parity pre 1950, but by the 70s, PSA takes over. I would presume the price delta between the two widens in the 80s and beyond although I don't collect slabs beyond the 70s.

Personally I think SGC and PSG are = in terms of grading toughness, both now and historically, and BVG is on average around a half to 3/4s of a grade easier. But this is just the average and I have seen cases where the BVG grade is = to what the PSA or SGC grade would be.

Lol I love your response; OP has shown me his SGC account submission grading timelines and sadly no owners in drag photos ��... they really have upped their game and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the turnaround time!

Tabe 03-04-2021 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wid_Conroy (Post 2076679)
if you are up in Canada, you defend KSA to the death.

I mean, in an industry dedicated to precision and attention-to-detail, if you can't trust a company with a misspelling in their own motto/logo, who can you trust?

http://tabe.x10host.com/upload/KSA.jpg

:D

Oscar_Stanage 03-04-2021 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kutcher55 (Post 2076763)
I would say as the years go from 1940 and earlier up to 1970, the $value spread between like-for-like PSA and SGC increases %-wise. In other words, the pricing can be on parity pre 1950, but by the 70s, PSA takes over. I would presume the price delta between the two widens in the 80s and beyond although I don't collect slabs beyond the 70s.

this seems to be generally true...... if you want a Luca triple-ice pink hologram refractor signed with a piece of jersey (limited edition), then definitely PSA has you covered.

vthobby 03-04-2021 05:31 PM

3 day turn! What???

1 Attachment(s)
A few folks have asked so here is the sub line. It was 3 vintage cards at $15 per card. I was shocked as well! I do not guarantee this for anyone let alone myself again, lol. I think it was an outlier but I'm not complaining! :) I told someone else on here that on March 2nd, the cards were already in "post grading" on the site so I thought there was a problem with them at first. I've never seen anything like it! Very cool!

Peace, Mike

Attachment 444153

vthobby 03-04-2021 05:35 PM

Drag photos!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lila2222 (Post 2076772)
Lol I love your response; OP has shown me his SGC account submission grading timelines and sadly no owners in drag photos ��... they really have upped their game and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the turnaround time!

Awesome to see a female SGC T206 collector! :p

TTYL Renay! :)

Mike :p

Tao_Moko 03-04-2021 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tabe (Post 2076783)
I mean, in an industry dedicated to precision and attention-to-detail, if you can't trust a company with a misspelling in their own motto/logo, who can you trust?

The apostrophe is used differently in Canadianese.

BobbyStrawberry 03-04-2021 05:42 PM

They are rolling for sure! My 2/26 economy order is already in "post-grading processing"!

Directly 03-04-2021 05:54 PM

Quote:

PSA doesn't even provide sub-grade--pretty well a joke if you want to know why your card graded a 8 versus a 9--really a poor grading system--but appears PSA has done a great job of brainwashing --

japhi 03-04-2021 06:07 PM

Quote:

Not going to defend them, but if you know the issue they can offer great value. Have bought 100+ and have had no issues. But the cards I'm looking for, I know what to look for. If you need the TPG to guide your decision then they are not a good call, lots of sheet cut, trimmed in KSA slabs but that is pretty common for the TPGs

Oscar_Stanage 03-04-2021 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by japhi (Post 2076806)
Not going to defend them, but if you know the issue they can offer great value. Have bought 100+ and have had no issues. But the cards I'm looking for, I know what to look for. If you need the TPG to guide your decision then they are not a good call, lots of sheet cut, trimmed in KSA slabs but that is pretty common for the TPGs

their new slabs I think inspire a lot more confidence. I think they had issues a long time ago that no one has let it go.

Fuddjcal 03-04-2021 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vtgmsc (Post 2076672)
For high end SGC cards across the board, they compete with PSA all day. I should know, I pay higher sometimes for SGC cards in similar grades. I compete with others that are figuring this out every day.

The secret is out Bobby. I do enjoy less competition however. lol

To each his own though! All good!

Peace,

Mike

I feel the same way about the high end cards. Not every stupid card needs a PSA holder, though many of mine do. Fact is, I'm not giving my cards away just because they are in SGC holders.:D:D:D If they don't want the cards the way they sit, there is always another one around the corner or someone who appreciates the card, not just the holder. Frankly, if anal Eddies don't want my cards because of the "holder" they can go F themselves. You kids build your collection based on your "perceived values" and I'll just enjoy the cards. How's that?:;)

vthobby 03-04-2021 07:40 PM

Lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuddjcal (Post 2076842)
I feel the same way about the high end cards. Not every stupid card needs a PSA holder, though many of mine do. Fact is, I'm not giving my cards away just because they are in SGC holders.:D:D:D If they don't want the cards the way they sit, there is always another one around the corner or someone who appreciates the card, not just the holder. Frankly, if anal Eddies don't want my cards because of the "holder" they can go F themselves. You kids build your collection based on your "perceived values" and I'll just enjoy the cards. How's that?:;)

Chuck,

Good to get that off your chest? I think if that had been on netowrk TV you might have gotten "beeped" a couple times! lol

That made me laugh out loud! Very eloquent! lol, seriously , loved it! Thanks for that! I agree all around! :)

Peace, Mike

Yoda 03-04-2021 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wid_Conroy (Post 2076785)
this seems to be generally true...... if you want a Luca triple-ice pink hologram refractor signed with a piece of jersey (limited edition), then definitely PSA has you covered.

Yeah, but the Cy Young in a sparkling tutu and jockstrap swatch is a much tougher card than the Luca.

hockeyhockey 03-04-2021 07:47 PM

mine took about a month, subbed in late january, back in last week. pretty happy overall, good customer service response as well.

vthobby 03-04-2021 07:58 PM

Not related....

1 Attachment(s)
Not related ...... kinda ..... lol

Paid for this little Gem on Monday Morn off Ebay. It was mailed 1st Class and I got it yesterday (Wednesday). My mail stream has had some good turnaround times lately! :)

Attachment 444174

Tyruscobb 03-05-2021 07:57 AM

I just tried to submit this morning. Apparently, the prices increased overnight. $25.00 a card is now the cheapest option.

Just like cards, I'm now also priced out of having cards graded! Back to the basics - enjoying raw cards!

dio 03-05-2021 08:02 AM

wow. I got lucky, I just submitted yesterday, going to ship out today

Oscar_Stanage 03-05-2021 08:08 AM

yep, just saw it. I made a submission a few days ago and now they moved up the prices.

and the stated timing is 20 days, and I think that is a real timeline, as evidenced by the experience in this thread.

HawkFan70 03-05-2021 08:25 AM

SGC will continue to get my business but I'm going to have to be more selective on what I send them going forward. I would rather pay a little more and get the cards back quicker...plus I still think that the cards look best in an SGC case!

slidekellyslide 03-05-2021 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vtgmsc (Post 2076668)
My hunch is that SGC has slowly been taking advantage of the crazy lag times with other TPGs.

I sent them 3 not so valuable vintage cards that they got on 3/1/21 and they are heading back! I paid $15 per card. (3 days turnaround!)

I submitted 8 (old labels with a range of values) and they logged them on 2/26/21. They are on their way back to me as of 3/4/21! (7 day turnaround)

I submitted 4 T206 cards (with 3 Hall of Famers) at the $15 per level and they logged them on 2/23/21 and they are now on the way back to me!! (9 day turnaround)

I send a lot to all companies based on which I feel is best for the card and this recent turnaround time with SGC is astounding!

Love it!

Peace, Mike

How do you get $15 per card? Looks like $25 is their lowest price per card that I see on their website.

https://gosgc.com/card-grading/services-pricing

Oscar_Stanage 03-05-2021 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slidekellyslide (Post 2076989)
How do you get $15 per card? Looks like $25 is their lowest price per card that I see on their website.

https://gosgc.com/card-grading/services-pricing

they just changed prices, literally last night.

slidekellyslide 03-05-2021 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wid_Conroy (Post 2076992)

LOL. I was impressed with Mike's turnaround and figured I would put together some cards for SGC. Nevermind.

Huysmans 03-05-2021 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tabe (Post 2076783)

Good thing no one here applies "trust" to spelling and grammar from Net54 members... or this site would be in trouble.

Oscar_Stanage 03-05-2021 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HawkFan70 (Post 2076985)
SGC will continue to get my business but I'm going to have to be more selective on what I send them going forward. I would rather pay a little more and get the cards back quicker...plus I still think that the cards look best in an SGC case!

I think this is the new normal. Grading is now a premium service. $25 for a 20-day turnaround is the best offering in the business. People have paid hundreds for PSA express that takes longer than that.

BobbyStrawberry 03-05-2021 10:15 AM

And they're now firing shots right on their homepage: "NO BACKLOG, NO BLOATED TURNAROUNDS, NO GAMES"

Frankish 03-05-2021 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wid_Conroy (Post 2077014)
I think this is the new normal. Grading is now a premium service. $25 for a 20-day turnaround is the best offering in the business. People have paid hundreds for PSA express that takes longer than that.

Agreed. Hopefully over time these services might split into investment grading (a premium service) and economy grading/slabbing for collectors. Hard to say if it will or won't.

I just sent some cards off to SGC. Also going to try a shipment to CSG for both bulk ($8) and economy ($15). Longer turnarounds but nothing like PSA. If I like how they turn out, I may make it a regular occurrence.

chadeast 03-05-2021 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyruscobb (Post 2076971)
I just tried to submit this morning. Apparently, the prices increased overnight. $25.00 a card is now the cheapest option.

Just like cards, I'm now also priced out of having cards graded! Back to the basics - enjoying raw cards!

What?!? Ugh. I was just planning a large sub 2 days ago. There goes that idea. I thought the PSA price increase was a great business opportunity for SGC. IMO, disappearing the $15 grading option was a bad move. That may work out for them short-term, but the chance to secure a large chunk of the grading business, perhaps for the long term, would seem to have been lost. SGC just can't seem to get out of their own way.

The real winner here may very well be CSG. If they can get their slab for vintage figured out, I'm in.

forceplay sport 03-05-2021 11:01 AM

I saw this too, that SGC raised their prices, if they leave them alone, probably would have seen a huge bump in subs, but now, I doubt it. I'm still very interested in CSG.

dio 03-05-2021 11:06 AM

I think their plan might be to to increase the normal price and reintroduce the membership and bulk sub deal

chadeast 03-05-2021 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dio (Post 2077045)
I think their plan might be to to increase the normal price and reintroduce the membership and bulk sub deal

If that's the case, they should have announced all of the changes at once. This is clearly a reactionary move to PSA's announcement. It's what 2nd rate companies seem to always do, across all industries. Market leaders are leaders because they show initiative and pave their own path forward.

Jcosta19 03-05-2021 11:30 AM

Smart move on raising prices as disappointing as it is.

They finally got back to a reasonable turn around time and if they kept their prices that much lower would probably have been back logged 2 to 4 months very quickly.

This way hopefully they can keep turn around reasonable. Hopefully.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

TobaccoKing4 03-05-2021 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wid_Conroy (Post 2076992)

Wow, I'm glad I did my newest submission last night then.