Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Hockey, Olympic, Auto Racing And All Other Cards (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   1964-65 Coke/Sprite bottle cap set (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=319767)

camaro69 05-17-2022 10:14 AM

1964-65 Coke/Sprite bottle cap set

Set Sold

NiceDocter 05-17-2022 11:38 AM

wow

Cant be too many sets like that in existence!!! Somebody sure drank a lot of soda!!!

camaro69 05-17-2022 12:29 PM

I think back in the day, every garage, car dealership had a pop machine. And it was an easy target for
kids to get their Mom or Dad to buy a soda while they waited.And of course the owner of the shop would
have excess to all those caps.It is kind of neat that 26 of them still have the original cork liner in the cap.TTYS

rjackson44 05-28-2022 07:04 PM

Stunning

Stampsfan 06-06-2022 01:52 AM

You're likely aware, but the Sprite caps have always carried a premium. Theory behind it is more Coke was sold than Sprite back in the day, hence more Coke caps than Sprite caps.

camaro69 06-06-2022 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampsfan (Post 2231739)
You're likely aware, but the Sprite caps have always carried a premium. Theory behind it is more Coke was sold than Sprite back in the day, hence more Coke caps than Sprite caps.

Yes I did know that. I am not sure if I should complete it in all coke. Or maybe do both sets.:D:D Thanks.

steve B 06-06-2022 11:38 AM

Yeah, do both!

(And yes, I can be a bad influence at times)

I have very few hockey ones, so I'm not sure if they did them on other coke brands like Tab or the Fanta flavors.

And if you're really crazy, do multiple bottling plants. :D

camaro69 06-06-2022 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve B (Post 2231840)
Yeah, do both!

(And yes, I can be a bad influence at times)

I have very few hockey ones, so I'm not sure if they did them on other coke brands like Tab or the Fanta flavors.

And if you're really crazy, do multiple bottling plants. :D

The one thing I am pretty sure about is that they only did the two flavours.So I would only be into the two sets.
I am not sure when Coke took ownership of those other smaller companies. But it may have been after 1964-65
when these caps were released.

Joeybats 07-22-2022 12:30 PM

That's an impressive collection.

steve B 07-23-2022 01:12 PM

I looked up Tab and Fanta. Tab was introduced by coke in 1963 in the US. So it may have been just a bit too late for a 1964 set, especially if it was in Canada.

Fanta was also a Coke brand, formed in Germany during WWII, discontinued post war, but brought back internationally in 55. In the US, it wasn't sold until sometime in the 60's, and I didn't see an exact date.It was around for the mid 60's Again, not sure about how closely Canadian brands tracked US brands.
But it does look like they only did Sprite And Coke.

camaro69 07-23-2022 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve B (Post 2245186)
I looked up Tab and Fanta. Tab was introduced by coke in 1963 in the US. So it may have been just a bit too late for a 1964 set, especially if it was in Canada.

Fanta was also a Coke brand, formed in Germany during WWII, discontinued post war, but brought back internationally in 55. In the US, it wasn't sold until sometime in the 60's, and I didn't see an exact date.It was around for the mid 60's Again, not sure about how closely Canadian brands tracked US brands.
But it does look like they only did Sprite And Coke.

Because I am not familiar with the other two products. Even though I remember as a much younger person we had Tab and Fanta here in Canada. But I do not believe I have ever seen those two products with hockey players on them. So did these other two products release hockey players on their caps as well.Thanks.

Joeybats 07-23-2022 05:47 PM

I know that Tab, Fanta, and Fresca had baseball and football bottle caps but I don't think they had hockey.

camaro69 07-23-2022 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joeybats (Post 2245249)
I know that Tab, Fanta, and Fresca had baseball and football bottle caps but I don't think they had hockey.

Coke and Sprite also did the CFL. I guess it was a Canadian thing.

steve B 07-26-2022 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaro69 (Post 2245215)
Because I am not familiar with the other two products. Even though I remember as a much younger person we had Tab and Fanta here in Canada. But I do not believe I have ever seen those two products with hockey players on them. So did these other two products release hockey players on their caps as well.Thanks.

After doing a bit of digging, I'm pretty sure the hockey was just Coke and Sprite.

They did other sports on most brands, but most of those were later in the 60's. Fresca wasn't introduced until 1966 so that's out.
Tab was introduced in 63, and if the Hockey set was actually a 63-4 set I just don't see Tab being added so late.

Fanta is a strange one, started out as a Coke substitute in Germany during the 30's, discontinued postwar but brought back in some areas in 55. They did Orange Grape, Rootbeer.... Now up to something like 200 flavors worldwide.
There were Fanta caps for Football in the mid 60's. But I didn't find any info on when it was brought back as a brand in the US, let alone Canada. I guess it's possible, but was probably brought back too late. Imagine rolling out both a new diet brand in 63, AND a new flavored soda brand at nearly the same time... I think they were too smart for that, the ad expenses to build the brands would have been brutal.
So I'd guess Fanta didn't hit US/Canada until maybe 66?

Add to that the local bottlers making some of the decisions about the sports caps. Here in the Boston area there were a few bottling plants. I think 6 maybe 7? I'd have to check my lists. None of them did the 67 Red Sox caps on anything except Coke. Or if they have, I've never seen one.