Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   January 2023 Pick up Thread (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=329724)

Baseballcrazy62 01-01-2023 02:10 AM

January 2023 Pick up Thread

1 Attachment(s)
Always wanted to own a few Tiger Stadium seats and finally pulled the trigger on these.
Attachment 550431

GrayGhost 01-01-2023 04:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This IMO is an awesome PC. Postmarked June 10, 1908 of a game in a park in Cleveland. Note Horses and Carriages, and the way people were dressed, people lounging on the ground etc. Baseball was such an "event" in the early years at all levels, as is seen here.

Interesting note: The day this Card was mailed, across town the Cleveland Naps, w Nap Lajoie having one hit, were beaten by the Red Sox and some dude named Cy Young.!

BobC 01-01-2023 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrayGhost (Post 2299942)
This IMO is an awesome PC. Postmarked June 10, 1908 of a game in a park in Cleveland. Note Horses and Carriages, and the way people were dressed, people lounging on the ground etc. Baseball was such an "event" in the early years at all levels, as is seen here.

Interesting note: The day this Card was mailed, across town the Cleveland Naps, w Nap Lajoie having one hit, were beaten by the Red Sox and some dude named Cy Young.!

Great postcard and photo. I believe what you're looking at is still there, and is known as Brookside Park. I remember going with my Uncle Wally in the late 60s to watch some of that year's ASA world championship games at Brookside. It even has its own Wikipedia page. And yes, I believe it is still considered as the site of the largest attended ballgame of all time, about 115,000 people back in 1915. And it is only about 10-15 minutes away, if even that, by car from where the National is held.

And just another reason I am so disappointed in all the people who dislike the idea of having the National in Cleveland. There are a lot of different and very historical things in and around the Cleveland area related to sports and such to be seen and appreciated, like this park and field depicted on this postcard, along with the original League Park and its accompanying museum, the Canton Football HOF and museum, which is only about a little over an hour away, and of course the Rock-N-Roll HOF and Museum in downtown Cleveland, to name a few. People just have to be willing to get up and actually go do something.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brookside_Stadium

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/League_Park

And by the way, both of these ballparks/fields precede Fenway Park (the oldest ballpark still in use in MLB built in 1912) by about a couple decades. And an interesting side note for League Park, Cy Young threw the very first pitch in the very first game ever played at League Park on May 1, 1891. (And of course he ended up winning the game as the Cleveland Spiders beat the Cincinnati Reds 12-3 that day.)

mrreality68 01-02-2023 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baseballcrazy62 (Post 2299763)
Always wanted to own a few Tiger Stadium seats and finally pulled the trigger on these.
Attachment 550431

Very nice Congratulations

Just curious are you going to leave them like that with the original patina or are you going to restore them?

GrayGhost 01-02-2023 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobC (Post 2300020)
Great postcard and photo. I believe what you're looking at is still there, and is known as Brookside Park. I remember going with my Uncle Wally in the late 60s to watch some of that year's ASA world championship games at Brookside. It even has its own Wikipedia page. And yes, I believe it is still considered as the site of the largest attended ballgame of all time, about 115,000 people back in 1915. And it is only about 10-15 minutes away, if even that, by car from where the National is help.

And just another reason I am so disappointed in all the people who dislike the idea of having the National in Cleveland. There are a lot of different and very historical things in and around the Cleveland area related to sports and such to be seen and appreciated, like this park and field depicted on this postcard, along with the original League Park and its accompanying museum, the Canton Football HOF and museum, which is only about a little over an hour away, and of course the Rock-N-Roll HOF and Museum in downtown Cleveland, to name a few. People just have to be willing to get up and actually go do something.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brookside_Stadium

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/League_Park

And by the way, both of these ballparks/fields precede Fenway Park (the oldest ballpark still in use in MLB built in 1912) by about a couple decades. And an interesting side note for League Park, Cy Young threw the very first pitch in the very first game ever played at League Park on May 1, 1891. (And of course he ended up winning the game as the Cleveland Spiders beat the Cincinnati Reds 12-3 that day.)

Thank you for the fascinating history!!!

Scott Garner 01-02-2023 08:53 AM

Ewell Blackwell signed 1946 oversized Wheaties ad

1 Attachment(s)
Happy New Year everyone!

Here is a recent local purchase.
This is a Ewell Blackwell 10" x 13" signed Wheaties ad.
Another net54 Board member posted his framed version of this a couple of years ago & I really liked it.
When I saw this one, beautifully signed by Blackie, and at a great price, it was a no-brainer for me & my collection... ;):D

todeen 01-02-2023 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Garner (Post 2300094)
Happy New Year everyone!

Here is a recent local purchase.
This is a Ewell Blackwell 10" x 13" signed Wheaties ad.
Another net54 Board member posted his framed version of this a couple of years ago & I really liked it.
When I saw this one, beautifully signed by Blackie, and at a great price, it was a no-brainer for me & my collection... ;):D

I have the framed version you talk about. Your pickup is awesome! Congrats!

Sent from my SM-G9900 using Tapatalk

BobC 01-02-2023 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrayGhost (Post 2300068)
Thank you for the fascinating history!!!

You are welcome. Figured you'd appreciate knowing the history of the site on your postcard. Hopefully it makes it even more valuable for you!

Baseballcrazy62 01-03-2023 07:11 AM

Not planning on restoring them.

doug.goodman 01-03-2023 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baseballcrazy62 (Post 2300418)
Not planning on restoring them.

Good call.

Mine are in similar shape to yours, still buried in my garage, as my lovely wife thinks two pairs of stadium seats in the house (Wrigley & Dodger) are enough.

Doug

thetruthisoutthere 01-03-2023 06:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
2022 was 60 years of being a Yankees fan.

Just picked up a Roger Repoz autographed baseball.

Attachment 550926

mr2686 01-04-2023 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetruthisoutthere (Post 2300701)
2022 was 60 years of being a Yankees fan.

Just picked up a Roger Repoz autographed baseball.

Attachment 550926

There's a name I haven't heard for awhile. Didn't remember him with the Yanks, but do remember him at the end of his career with the Angels.

doug.goodman 01-06-2023 05:46 PM

Lasorda only career Dodger start

3 Attachment(s)
Received this today.

https://sabr.org/gamesproj/game/may-...red-hot-start/

"Lasorda tied what was then the National League record with three wild pitches in the first inning, the last of which caused him to get injured while covering home plate. Wally Moon spiked Lasorda on the right knee while sliding in to score after the third wild pitch. But despite a bloody gash, Lasorda went back to the mound and got the final two outs of the inning."

Doug

mrozie21 01-12-2023 06:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Added two signs from Forbes Field - I had sold off the section 215 sign a while ago and am happy to have it back in my collection.

ooo-ribay 01-15-2023 10:17 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Pretty happy with this, for my low end Giants collection. Sure, there are silver and bronze figurals out there, but if you think about it, which is more likely to survive? Silver or plastic? Somehow, someone held on to this for 60 years. The original receipt was included...purchased at H.C. Capwell's Department Store in Oakland for $1.98. 4% sales tax brought the total to $2.06. I also like how it's "by North American"...made in Hong Kong. :p

Whoops! Looks like the stand goes the other way.

doug.goodman 01-15-2023 11:35 AM

Rob, that's pretty cool.

Have you put batteries in it?

Might be a good way to listen to the first game of Spring Training in one month and 10 days...

milkit1 01-16-2023 08:19 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Got some very lucky pickups tonight. Generally its nearly impossible locating a minor league deadball team featuring a major leaguer but this guy popped right out 100% no doubt in this photo of the 1906 Albany Senators - Rube Kroh! Also got the 1911 Troy Trojans which might feature former Cub Carl Lundgren but cant tell for sure

Attachment 552991

Attachment 552992

Hoy'sNoDummy 01-21-2023 07:57 PM

Old Cleveland Indians Mascot find

1 Attachment(s)
Found this guy in an antique store last weekend.

It's Rempel brand - I googled him and he is a "Big Chief Erie" from the 40s or 50s. I'm afraid the Big Chief has fallen out of favor, but I've got a big heart, so I picked him up for $20 :)

Now I need the Rempel Brooklyn Dodgers "HoJo" or "Campy the Tramp" from that same era.

Send me a message if you have one of those you might part with ;)

Scott Garner 01-21-2023 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoy'sNoDummy (Post 2306636)
Found this guy in an antique store last weekend.

It's Rempel brand - I googled him and he is a "Big Chief Erie" from the 40s or 50s. I'm afraid the Big Chief has fallen out of favor, but I've got a big heart, so I picked him up for $20 :)

Now I need the Rempel Brooklyn Dodgers "HoJo" or "Campy the Tramp" from that same era.

Send me a message if you have one of those you might part with ;)

Big Chief Erie is awesome at any price! Nice pickup!
Sweet!! :cool:

Vintagedeputy 01-22-2023 05:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I posted this in the postcard thread as well, but this just arrived a couple of days ago.

Briggs Stadium postcard, postmarked 1955.

Topnotchsy 01-22-2023 04:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Really excited to pick up this 1945 Jackie Robinson Negro League photo. It appears to be a wire photo. First one I have ever seen.

I'm not certain if this is from his time on the Monarchs or if it was barnstorming with the KC Royals but definitely from that era.

doug.goodman 01-22-2023 06:38 PM

Jeff, that's a great pickup (and picture)

mikecala98 01-23-2023 10:50 AM

1952 Yankee Team Photo. Very clear quality but has been folded and taped. Still felt it was worth the $15!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...1889c107d8.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...fc66dc4ab0.jpg

JoeDfan 01-24-2023 01:26 PM

Mail day!

1 Attachment(s)
So many cool pick ups this month!

I am super excited to add this to my bat collection.

doug.goodman 01-24-2023 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikecala98 (Post 2307128)
1952 Yankee Team Photo. Very clear quality but has been folded and taped. Still felt it was worth the $15![/IMG]

Nice one!

mcgwirecom 01-25-2023 04:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Not so much a pick up as a "just got it back". i had won a Sandy Koufax signed home plate in an auction a while back. I had the idea of getting renown sports artist Gregg Packer to add his talent to it. we talked for quite a bit about ideas and I finally got it back. I love his work.

Mark 01-26-2023 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeDfan (Post 2307566)

Not a bad addition, especially for a Yankee collector. Or for any collector of anything. Does it get lots of use?

mikecala98 01-26-2023 09:41 AM

January 2023 Pick up Thread

Another Yankees team photo found today! This time 1939. Eastman Safety Kodak type on the side. Anyone know about photos printed like this with the edges?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...e5cb81402f.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...6d15384390.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...43d3e7aa1e.jpg

JoeDfan 01-26-2023 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark (Post 2308250)
Not a bad addition, especially for a Yankee collector. Or for any collector of anything. Does it get lots of use?

Thanks!
Yes, it has a lot of use to it, including a crack in the handle (secured by a little dowel by someone), cleat marks, ball marks and some paint from the rack. In hand, it is also clear that at one time, it had tape on the handle too.

bnorth 01-26-2023 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeDfan (Post 2308284)
Thanks!
Yes, it has a lot of use to it, including a crack in the handle (secured by a little dowel by someone), cleat marks, ball marks and some paint from the rack. In hand, it is also clear that at one time, it had tape on the handle too.

I am so glad someone gave you a little crap and it will stay tape free.:)

JoeDfan 01-26-2023 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 2308287)
I am so glad someone gave you a little crap and it will stay tape free.:)

Yes, someone talked me to my senses!!!!

Vintagedeputy 01-26-2023 07:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I posted this under the pinback thread as well but I just picked this up today.

GrayGhost 01-26-2023 07:18 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Great stuff all Here is my Park FALSTAFF beer PEE WEE REESE lighter I had asked bout . I think it's cool🤠

ooo-ribay 01-26-2023 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcgwirecom (Post 2308067)
Not so much a pick up as a "just got it back". i had won a Sandy Koufax signed home plate in an auction a while back. I had the idea of getting renown sports artist Gregg Packer to add his talent to it. we talked for quite a bit about ideas and I finally got it back. I love his work.

Looks great!

I’m a Dodger hater, so I wouldn’t know, but did Koufax throw a no-hitter where his own team only managed one hit? Who was the unlucky LP?

doug.goodman 01-26-2023 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 2308486)
Looks great!

I’m a Dodger hater, so I wouldn’t know, but did Koufax throw a no-hitter where his own team only managed one hit? Who was the unlucky LP?

The one hit had nothing to do with the only run the Dodgers scored, so had Bob Hendley thrown a no-hitter that day, he still would have lost to the perfect game that Koufax threw.

https://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/...090LAN1965.htm

27 batters for the Cubs that day, and only 26 for the Dodgers.

ooo-ribay 01-27-2023 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doug.goodman (Post 2308490)
The one hit had nothing to do with the only run the Dodgers scored, so had Bob Hendley thrown a no-hitter that day, he still would have lost to the perfect game that Koufax threw.

https://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/...090LAN1965.htm

27 batters for the Cubs that day, and only 26 for the Dodgers.

Pretty crazy.

Topnotchsy 01-27-2023 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcgwirecom (Post 2308067)

That's an incredible combination of history and art.

Spectacular!

eastonfalcon19 01-28-2023 09:07 AM

8 Attachment(s)
Here are some of my recent pickups in the New Year. A few 19th century items including a score card from the Terre Haute baseball team which features some big leaguers, a lineup card from the Paris Reds team in 1886, and a nice figure 8 baseball. Also picked up a 1934 Greensburg Trojans team photo which features some big leaguers. Last but not least, one of my all time favorites to collect...a J.F. Hillerich & Son bat.

eastonfalcon19 01-28-2023 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeDfan (Post 2307566)

That's a beauty...congrats

GrayGhost 01-28-2023 02:57 PM

Such Awesome stuff all