Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Most underated multiple times batting champs? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=323274)

Aquarian Sports Cards 08-09-2022 07:27 AM

Most underated multiple times batting champs?

Not really trivia but interesting to think about.

To me three jump to mind.

Mickey Vernon, who between his accomplishments and his service time interrupting his prime is a borderline HOF'er that gets no love.

Pete Runnels - interestingly part of one of the most even trades of all time that benefited nobody. Sox and Angels, Runnels for Roman Mejias, both of whom never produced again. Runnels coming off a batting title and Mejias coming off a very solid 24 HR season.

Bill Madlock - 4 Batting titles, 0 respect.

Who else?

Jim65 08-09-2022 07:43 AM

Willie McGee

Cliff Bowman 08-09-2022 07:45 AM

First guy that popped into my head was Ferris Fain, other than his two batting titles he only hit .300 one other year. ETA, oops, I guess he would fall under most overrated :o.

Snapolit1 08-09-2022 07:45 AM

Bill Madlock

.... ah, somehow overlooked him on your list . . . .

Aquarian Sports Cards 08-09-2022 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim65 (Post 2250613)
Willie McGee

Willie only gets there with an asterisk though. Eddie Murray actually led the majors in hitting the year of McGee's 2nd title but Willie won the batting title in the NL due to a timely trade to the A's. He had enough at bats to be official in the NL where he hit .332 but his batting average with the A's was enough to drop him to .324 for the season. Murray hit .331 for the Dodgers and Brett hit .329, so Eddie Murray led the majors in batting without winning a batting title. Numbers are from memory, so they may not be perfect, but they demonstrate the phenomenon.

Aquarian Sports Cards 08-09-2022 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman (Post 2250615)
First guy that popped into my head was Ferris Fain, other than his two batting titles he only hit .300 one other year.

Good call, almost a Pete Runnels clone except he took NO walks if I recall correctly.

Seven 08-09-2022 08:05 AM

While not necessarily underrated, I feel Wade Boggs does not get a whole lot of respect nowadays. Maybe it was due to his lack of power, I'm not quite sure but I feel like he's not talked about enough.

A more recent pick would be Nomar. Guy was an absolute terror at the plate.

Rad_Hazard 08-09-2022 08:14 AM

Paul Hines - 2 Batting Titles - 0 Respect

First triple crown winner and first to ever pull off an unassisted triple play (allegedly). Legend.

Aquarian Sports Cards 08-09-2022 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seven (Post 2250621)
While not necessarily underrated, I feel Wade Boggs does not get a whole lot of respect nowadays. Maybe it was due to his lack of power, I'm not quite sure but I feel like he's not talked about enough.

It does seem Gwyyn gets a lot more love, even though if I was drafting a team today and I could have either of them for the careers they put up I take Boggs. I've also always wondered why the Red Sox delayed his development so long. Two full seasons at AA and Two more full seasons at AAA even though he produced right away at each level. Accounts for his relatively late start at age 24.

howard38 08-09-2022 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 2250619)
Good call, almost a Pete Runnels clone except he took NO walks if I recall correctly.

Fain had one of the highest walk rates of all time. Runnels’ was above average but probably 50% lower. As such Id say Fain is the most underrated.

Mike D. 08-09-2022 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 2250624)
It does seem Gwyyn gets a lot more love, even though if I was drafting a team today and I could have either of them for the careers they put up I take Boggs. I've also always wondered why the Red Sox delayed his development so long. Two full seasons at AA and Two more full seasons at AAA even though he produced right away at each level. Accounts for his relatively late start at age 24.

The Red Sox weren't exactly run by geniuses in those days, sadly. :D

He was blocked by Carney Lansford at 3B, but still...he was clearly ready for the big leagues earlier than he was promoted there, as you suggested.

Aquarian Sports Cards 08-09-2022 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by howard38 (Post 2250625)
Fain had one of the highest walk rates of all time. Runnels’ was above average but probably 50% lower. As such Id say Fain is the most underrated.

Thinking of Don Mueller. Another guy who ALMOST won two batting titles but came up a little short 2x and NEVER walked.

Aquarian Sports Cards 08-09-2022 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike D. (Post 2250631)

He was blocked by Carney Lansford at 3B, but still...he was clearly ready for the big leagues earlier than he was promoted there, as you suggested.

Lansford actually comes super close to making the list missing out on a second title to Puckett by .003

packs 08-09-2022 08:46 AM

Larry Walker. I know he's a HOFer now, but it wasn't ever a foregone conclusion. He won 3 batting titles and while the Colorado discount will always be there, he didn't win 3 batting titles hitting home runs.

bnorth 08-09-2022 09:12 AM

Quote:

Tony had that Barry Bonds like bump from age 34 to 37 when he had by far his best 4 year totals. Before that Wade was by far the better player but he didn't have that boost in his mid 30s Tony had.

Bill Madlock did win 4 batting titles but was very underwhelming other than that great feat.

Seven 08-09-2022 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike D. (Post 2250631)

I'd argue they weren't run by geniuses for a long time. Yawkey refusing to integrate until the bitter end prevented them from winning a couple of titles in the 50's and 60's for sure.

Peter_Spaeth 08-09-2022 09:58 AM

I agree with Boggs. I think his personality had a lot to do with the relative lack of love for him. People were always emphasizing his faults. As I used to say during his prime, he's the worst .350 hitter ever.

Madlock, meh.

G1911 08-09-2022 10:18 AM

Edit: I’m an idiot, my guy didn’t win the 2 I thought he had.

Touch'EmAll 08-09-2022 11:26 AM

Tony Oliva - led league in Batting Avg. 3 times

Aquarian Sports Cards 08-09-2022 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 2250638)
Larry Walker. I know he's a HOFer now, but it wasn't ever a foregone conclusion. He won 3 batting titles and while the Colorado discount will always be there, he didn't win 3 batting titles hitting home runs.

Colorado improves averages too though as they made the outfield huge in order to combat the home runs so there's a lot more square footage for balls to fall in. Not hating on Walker, but even his splits show a marked difference. Here are his three Batting Title seasons plus 1997 where he was close.

YR Home Away
1997 .384 .346
1998 .419 .302
1999 .382 .374
2001 .406 .293

So one batting title year was close, the other two are over .100 apart, and the near miss is a fairly standard home road split.

Aquarian Sports Cards 08-09-2022 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Touch'EmAll (Post 2250716)
Tony Oliva - led league in Batting Avg. 3 times

I know it took him forever to get in, but hard to call a HOF'er underrated.

packs 08-09-2022 01:17 PM

Still think Larry’s underrated though. Home runs come mind first but I’d be surprised if the majority of people know he won 3 titles. That’s a marker for being underrated right?

Seven 08-09-2022 01:22 PM

Lefty O'Doul would fit the bill for this conversation. Led the league twice once with a .398 average and the other with a .368 average. Even more impressive was the fact that in 1929 season he had 254 hits!

Pretty incredible that he was a .349 hitter for his career. Shame he didn't start his career as a hitter, as well.

mrreality68 08-09-2022 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 2250617)
Willie only gets there with an asterisk though. Eddie Murray actually led the majors in hitting the year of McGee's 2nd title but Willie won the batting title in the NL due to a timely trade to the A's. He had enough at bats to be official in the NL where he hit .332 but his batting average with the A's was enough to drop him to .324 for the season. Murray hit .331 for the Dodgers and Brett hit .329, so Eddie Murray led the majors in batting without winning a batting title. Numbers are from memory, so they may not be perfect, but they demonstrate the phenomenon.

Very good one Scott I forgot about Eddie Murray and the trade. Great story that one

GaryPassamonte 08-10-2022 12:30 PM

Ross Barnes- 3 titles

BobbyStrawberry 08-10-2022 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryPassamonte (Post 2251224)
Ross Barnes- 3 titles

Yes! And finished top three in two other years, if I'm not mistaken.

Casey2296 08-10-2022 09:47 PM

Agree on Ross Barnes and Olivia.
I would posit two of the most underrated HOF hitters are Tony Gwynn and Rod Carew. Gwynn is tied with Wagner for most NL batting titles with 8 and can be included in the goat discussion. Carew had 7 titles, both are relegated to mid-tier or less in collectors minds.

SteveWhite 08-11-2022 07:28 AM

Multiple Batting Titles

Joe Mauer had 3 batting titles:2006 at .347, 2008 at .328, and 2009 hit
.365. Playing catcher all three years. Side note as a high school
senior was the National Player of the year for football (QB) and baseball.

D. Bergin 08-11-2022 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seven (Post 2250621)

Hell yeah, Boggs was under-rated. Check out his 1987 season and then explain to me how he came in 9th in the MVP race.

He's a modern statisticians dream player.

Boggs was also much better defensively, then he ever got credit for. Even in his earlier years when he was getting charged with a lot of errors, his range factor was always excellent.

BobbyStrawberry 08-11-2022 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D. Bergin (Post 2251626)
Hell yeah, Boggs was under-rated. Check out his 1987 season and then explain to me how he came in 9th in the MVP race.

He's a modern statisticians dream player.

Totally! That man was all about taking walks before it was cool :)

Carter08 08-11-2022 10:34 AM

Pete Rose gets a lot of love for longevity but the man had some serious years, including at least 3 batting titles (I think that’s it).

steve B 08-12-2022 12:48 PM

Quote:

Those AA years he was behind Butch Hobson, who was a fan favorite and when he didn't have elbow problems was a good fielder.

The AAA seasons the sox had Glenn Hoffman in 1980 but Boggs had just got to AAA In 81 Carney Lansford won the batting title.

The Sox at the time weren't all that good at player development, often keeping major league guys around much longer than most teams would today. In a way Boggs may have benefitted from not being the guy replacing Hobson, which would have come with a bit of stress from comparisons. And also sort of lucky to miss being in the strike in 81. When he came in there was no stigma, and he eventually replaced a guy who hit well in a short year but not in full seasons.

I'm not sure, but there may have been gaps in his game he needed to fix before really being ready.