Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   1938 ST-Unc Signal Gasonline - Oakland Oaks Stamps & Companion Piece (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=331975)

Leon 02-21-2023 11:11 AM

1938 ST-Unc Signal Gasonline - Oakland Oaks Stamps & Companion Piece

1 Attachment(s)
Picked up these stamps recently and the pack they came in. The card-stamps are scarce but I have never seen a pack they came in, and am not sure this is how they were all distributed, but it's cool nonetheless.

mrreality68 02-21-2023 11:29 AM

+1 Agree cool pieces

You always have some unique and interesting to share

nolemmings 02-21-2023 11:30 AM

Outstanding, Leon! Can you give us the measurements, including the envelope? I would like to add them to my database. Were the stamps all in the envelope when you got them, i.e. do they all fit?
Also, is that pic upper left a typical stamp reverse? It seems to have some paper residue that does not match up to the photos you showed.

Gorditadogg 02-21-2023 12:05 PM

The dealership is still there, in Oakland, CA, but it is Val Strough Honda now.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Leon 02-21-2023 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolemmings (Post 2316739)
Outstanding, Leon! Can you give us the measurements, including the envelope? I would like to add them to my database. Were the stamps all in the envelope when you got them, i.e. do they all fit?
Also, is that pic upper left a typical stamp reverse? It seems to have some paper residue that does not match up to the photos you showed.

Thanks Todd (and others),

The envelope is 4" x 2". It is blank on the side not shown. I was told they were found in this envelope but the person I got them from wasn't the original owner, as far as I know. That reverse with the paper remnants is the only one like that. The others only have the wording and no remnants. I used that one as it's a dupe of Martinez.

Hankphenom 02-21-2023 12:33 PM

Way cool.

nolemmings 02-21-2023 12:54 PM

Thanks again Leon. Could you confirm the specs on the stamps? They look to be a touch smaller than the 1 5/8" x 2 3/8" I have seen attributed.

FWIW, newspaper ads from the day claimed that Val Strough was a new Chevrolet dealer in 1938--maybe these were kind of an introductory item.

Also, it seems the cards were issued or at least printed early in the season, since by June 9, 1938, all but two of the players you show (Joyce and Hill plus manager Zwilling) had been released, as had many others in the checklist. Guess that's gonna happen when your team is on its way to a 65-113 season.

Good stuff.

oaks1912 02-21-2023 01:15 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Cool item, but likely a companion piece, rather than a 'pack' / 'wrapper'. The stamps were distributed by Signal Oil in '38. Since they made it clear on the back of the stamp album that they were responsible, it would make sense that such a 'wrapper' would have a similar mark (or no advertising at all) , rather than for a different business. The Val Strough envelope appears to be for game tickets. Several different tickets envelopes from the period are known to exist..... One could argue that in order to drive a Chevrolet, you would need gas and that would be a tie-in, but that is probably a stretch. Still a cool piece

Leon 02-21-2023 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oaks1912 (Post 2316792)
Cool item, but likely a companion piece, rather than a 'pack' / 'wrapper'. The stamps were distributed by Signal Oil in '38. Since they made it clear on the back of the stamp album that they were responsible, it would make sense that such a 'wrapper' would have a similar mark (or no advertising at all) , rather than for a different business. The Val Strough envelope appears to be for game tickets. Several different tickets envelopes from the period are known to exist..... One could argue that in order to drive a Chevrolet, you would need gas and that would be a tie-in, but that is probably a stretch. Still a cool piece

Thanks Mark
I agree, of course, and changed the title

Todd- same size but these stamps have some curl to them.