Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   eBay sneaker authentication (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=298981)

bnorth 03-20-2021 05:48 PM

eBay sneaker authentication

eBay is offering free sneaker authentication now. It will soon be a service they charge for. I have a pair getting authenticated now.

If you have ever tried buying a nice pair of Nike shoes on eBay you will quickly learn there are a ton of fakes on eBay. Some are really good and some not so much.

steve B 03-22-2021 09:53 AM

Only until like other ebay "authentication" programs it affects the bottom line by weeding out the massive percentage of fakes. Then like others it will be cancelled to "ensure accuracy" or some other marketing rubbish.

bnorth 03-23-2021 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve B (Post 2084114)
Only until like other ebay "authentication" programs it affects the bottom line by weeding out the massive percentage of fakes. Then like others it will be cancelled to "ensure accuracy" or some other marketing rubbish.

I agree 100%. They are also offering it for free for now on other things like Rolex watches. Maybe they are trying to clean up their act and get rid of all the counterfeit items.LOL

timzcardz 03-23-2021 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 2084512)
I agree 100%. They are also offering it for free for now on other things like Rolex watches. Maybe they are trying to clean up their act and get rid of all the counterfeit items.LOL

Or maybe they're acting in response to legal threats from the trademark owners?

Huysmans 03-23-2021 09:50 AM

This is funny.

I'm waiting for a company to set up shop at the end of the drive-thru that will "authenticate" the plain and boring McDonald's hamburger just purchased 8 seconds prior.

wnp22 04-01-2021 10:48 PM

Seems like they’re just doing this to try and regain some of the marketplace from GOAT and StockX. I mean I suppose it’s good their hand was forced and they made a positive change, but with fakes still slipping through the cracks on dedicated sneaker platforms I wonder how effective eBay’s authenticity checks will be. There are some near 1:1 fakes floating around these days.

bnorth 04-02-2021 07:54 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnp22 (Post 2088644)
Seems like they’re just doing this to try and regain some of the marketplace from GOAT and StockX. I mean I suppose it’s good their hand was forced and they made a positive change, but with fakes still slipping through the cracks on dedicated sneaker platforms I wonder how effective eBay’s authenticity checks will be. There are some near 1:1 fakes floating around these days.

I have no idea how they would do with the super high end collector stuff. I don't run but like their running shoes because I crushed both of my feet as a teenager and they keep my feet from hurting.

It took 16 days from purchase till they arrived at my house. After buying 2 counterfeit pairs on eBay I think it was worth the wait. Here is a pic of the shoes and the authentication button thingy thy put on them. The button is so if you resell them they are already authenticated. I have no idea when this will become something they will charge for.

irv 04-02-2021 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 2088708)
I have no idea how they would do with the super high end collector stuff. I don't run but like their running shoes because I crushed both of my feet as a teenager and they keep my feet from hurting.

It took 16 days from purchase till they arrived at my house. After buying 2 counterfeit pairs on eBay I think it was worth the wait. Here is a pic of the shoes and the authentication button thingy thy put on them. The button is so if you resell them they are already authenticated. I have no idea when this will become something they will charge for.

So the button stays attached to the shoes permanently? If not, couldn't that button be put on a pair of fakes? :confused:

bnorth 04-02-2021 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irv (Post 2088888)
So the button stays attached to the shoes permanently? If not, couldn't that button be put on a pair of fakes? :confused:

If you are a collector yes you should leave the button thing attached. Not sure how it actually works but it is wire and not string that attaches it to the shoe. I am going to use wire cutters and remove it. I just have not done it yet.

wnp22 04-02-2021 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 2088708)

Yeah for things like running shoes and stuff it is a pretty good deal because I doubt the fakes coming out are that comparable to the real things once in hand (granted I'm not that up to date on rep sneakers).

Once you get up into higher end stuff, it's comparable to like trusting PSA not to grade a trimmed card. Yes they catch a bunch, but some slip through the cracks. And if ebay doesn't dedicate the right resources to it, it's gonna be like trusting one of the non-major grading companies not to grade a trimmed card.

Would be a whole lot nicer if people were just honest lol

irv 04-02-2021 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 2088916)
If you are a collector yes you should leave the button thing attached. Not sure how it actually works but it is wire and not string that attaches it to the shoe. I am going to use wire cutters and remove it. I just have not done it yet.

Ok, got it now, Ben.

Thanks. :)