Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Don't you hate it? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=303673)

rdwyer 06-16-2021 02:40 PM

Don't you hate it?

1 Attachment(s)
When Dean's Cards lists his billion dollar inventory on OfferUp?

Bobbycee 06-16-2021 02:49 PM

I especially love it when he clogs up 12 consecutive pages on Ebay.

skelly423 06-16-2021 05:17 PM

I don't mind seeing some of the cards he has listed, he has an impressive inventory (mileage varies on the pricing).

This isn't specific to Dean's, but eBay should have a function that lets you exclude certain sellers from your search results. I'm not buying complete Goudey sets, I'm just looking to pick up a stray card here and there. Likewise there are some sellers who only sell garbage. I don't want my search clogged up with stuff I know I won't buy

butchie_t 06-16-2021 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skelly423 (Post 2114382)
I don't mind seeing some of the cards he has listed, he has an impressive inventory (mileage varies on the pricing).

This isn't specific to Dean's, but eBay should have a function that lets you exclude certain sellers from your search results. I'm not buying complete Goudey sets, I'm just looking to pick up a stray card here and there. Likewise there are some sellers who only sell garbage. I don't want my search clogged up with stuff I know I won't buy

Indeed, there are many times where I would like to isolate a seller in a search. I end up with search wildcards a mile long trying to filter out things I don’t want to see. It is a PITA many times over.

rdwyer 06-16-2021 05:30 PM

Probably why Dean's lists on Offerup. You can't weed those out. I personally have had enough with any listings from Dean's. Every single card/set is so far overpriced, it's a waste of my time.

buymycards 06-16-2021 05:51 PM

excluding sellers

Quote:

Originally Posted by skelly423 (Post 2114382)

All you need to do is put 1933 Goudey -(Dean's) and his cards won't show up in your search.

egri 06-16-2021 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by butchie_t (Post 2114385)
Indeed, there are many times where I would like to isolate a seller in a search. I end up with search wildcards a mile long trying to filter out things I don’t want to see. It is a PITA many times over.

They have that feature; on the desktop, in the column on the left side, click More Filters, select Seller, Only show items from, set the filter to Exclude, type in Dean's username and hit Apply Filter.

Frankish 06-16-2021 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by egri (Post 2114406)
They have that feature; on the desktop, in the column on the left side, click More Filters, select Seller, Only show items from, set the filter to Exclude, type in Dean's username and hit Apply Filter.

Thank you!

BCauley 06-16-2021 07:35 PM

Who cares? Keep scrolling.

Why do people have such a hard-on about Dean's anyway?

jingram058 06-16-2021 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCauley (Post 2114418)
Who cares? Keep scrolling.

What are you, a billionaire with bottomless pockets and therefore high and mightily just don't care?

Most of us don't like paying double for any card, no matter which one or set it's from. Thus we're sick of his endless listings. Him, PWCC, yada yada yada.

BCauley 07-15-2021 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jingram058 (Post 2114421)
What are you, a billionaire with bottomless pockets

Far from it.

Quote:

therefore high and mightily just don't care?

High and mightily? Not at all. Don't care what they price it at? Yeah, I don't.

Quote:

Most of us don't like paying double for any card, no matter which one or set it's from.

Double what exactly? Pay what you're comfortable paying.

Quote:

Thus we're sick of his endless listings. Him, PWCC, yada yada yada.

Then don't pay attention to them and find one from someone else.

cardsagain74 07-15-2021 04:51 PM

The endless listings are a more benign reason not to like him. What stands out to me is regularly offering stuff like '81 Topps baseball team sets (incomplete ones, no less) for like $20-$40 each. That's about $2 worth of cards, and he knows his market for that stuff is consumers who don't know any better.

It's purposely ripping people off and akin to being a snake oil salesman.

JollyElm 07-15-2021 05:42 PM

From the 'New Directory of Collectorisms' thread...

30. Dean-noser (also Dreckonomist)
A person who, in the face of all common sense, always feels compelled to praise the well-known and heavily discussed eBay rip-off artists who laughably try to sell their cards for ten times as much as everyone else.

Tabe 07-15-2021 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCauley (Post 2114418)

I'm with you - put in a filter to get rid of his stuff and move on. I don't care one bit what he sells (or tries to sell) stuff for.

ALBB 07-16-2021 06:40 AM

Dean

Dean's has a real nice selection...excellent service..prices a bit high

brianp-beme 07-16-2021 10:34 AM

What I find humorous are his "Almost Complete" set listings that are nowhere near complete. Here is an example of a typical listing like this that has a totally deceptive listing title:

Batter Up 1934-36 Batter-Up (R318) Almost Complete Master Set 5 - EX

https://www.ebay.com/itm/29411347062...wAAOSwBx5g8YPx

Are 110 cards out of 192 almost complete? I think this is an extreme example of "the cup is half full" wishful (as a seller this term should actually be identified as deceitful) thinking. 110 cards are listed in the description...why not in the title?

I understand that there is limited space in the title, but to identify this group as EX is also not very accurate, as 60 of the cards are lower than excellent, with 32 of these being identified as Vg, and 10 being Good or less. Perhaps 'Vg to Ex' would have been more reasonably appropriate?

And why is this grouping identified as a 'Master' Set? A master set grouping for Batter-Up cards would have examples of different tints for each card. In the Batter-Up set there are 6 tints for each card #1-40, 4 tints for each card #41-80, and 2 tints for each card #81-192. This listing does not have more than one tint for each card #, thus not a single card toward a master set.

There are countless reasons I am not a customer, and this is just a humorously annoying one.

brianp(arker)-beme

Leon 07-19-2021 10:05 AM

IF one of these type sellers doesn't update their listings often, sometimes you can find a good deal or two. I have bought from Dean's and made some money before. (once LOL)