Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Do These Joe Jackson Cards Exist? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=91278)

Archive 11-07-2008 10:21 PM

Do These Joe Jackson Cards Exist?

Posted By: <b>James Gallo</b><p>Can anyone confirm examples of the following cards. I have checked the PSA and SGC population reports and there are none listed. I understand that some of these could have been lumped in the the M101-4/5 series.<br> <br> Joe Jackson 1915 Gimbels (M101-5) <br> Joe Jackson 1916 Altoona Tribune <br> Joe Jackson 1916 Block and Kuhl Co. <br> Joe Jackson 1916 Burgess-Nash Clothiers <br> Joe Jackson 1916 Everybody's <br> Joe Jackson 1916 Gimbels <br> Joe Jackson 1916 Green-Joyce Clothiers <br> Joe Jackson 1916 Morehouse Baking Co. <br> Joe Jackson 1916 Standard Biscuit (E135) <br> Joe Jackson 1916 Successful Farming <br> Joe Jackson 1916 Ware's <br> Joe Jackson 1916 Weil Baking Co. (D328) <br> Joe Jackson 1919 Mother's Bread (W514) <br> Joe Jackson 1921 Holsum Bread <br><br><br>Just wondering as I see no point have cards on my list if they don't exist.<br><br>Thanks in advance for any help.<br><br>James G<br><br>Looking for 1915 Cracker Jacks and 1909-11 American Caramel E90-1.

Archive 11-07-2008 10:39 PM

Posted By: <b>Bobby Binder</b><p>There are confirmed sales for the Wares and the E135 so those 2 do exist on your list.

Archive 11-08-2008 02:33 PM

Posted By: <b>fkw</b><p>There is at least one D327 Holsum Jackson, it was on eBay a few years back and someone got a steal on it.<br><br>PS I would call it a 1920 issue too.

e107collector 01-13-2013 08:39 AM

Joe Jackson

Does anyone know if the Joe Jackson image, that is used on the Boston Store, Collins MCarthy, and Holsum Bread issues, exists with some of the backs listed above by James Gallo? I thought I remember hearing about a Weils, but I could be wrong.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Tony

T206DK 01-13-2013 10:57 AM

there is a collector ( or was) in my area back in the late 90's who had a Jackson with the Altoona Tribune back

nolemmings 01-13-2013 12:52 PM

Although I cannot confirm sales, that particular Shoeless Joe image should be found on all five E135-like cards, issued in 1917: Collins-McCarthy, Boston Store, Standard Biscuit, Weil Baking and blank-back. The Holsum uses the same image, and a D350-3 Standard Biscuit may as well if it exists.

JMANOS 01-13-2013 06:14 PM

There is a M101-6 of Joe Jackson...

I have seen it...

Matt 01-13-2013 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMANOS (Post 1073351)
I have seen it...

scan/photo? (he asks, well aware of who he is asking...)

Louis Bollman 10-03-2013 11:09 AM

Older post but here it is.....

I've seen other players from the set but I hadn't seen this one:
http://www.goldinauctions.com/1917-2...0-LOT6761.aspx

Vol 10-04-2013 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Louis Bollman (Post 1191413)
I've seen other players from the set but I hadn't seen this one:
http://www.goldinauctions.com/1917-2...0-LOT6761.aspx

Amazing card

e107collector 10-04-2013 09:02 PM

Felix Mendelsohn Joe Jackson

2 Attachment(s)
Just wondering what other board members think, but looking at the bat in the photo on the Felix Mendelsohn Joe Jackson card, which Goldin states is THE Black Betsy, and I agree it is, looks very different than the "Black Betsy Bat" the was auctioned off for over $500K.

Look at the thickness in the handle, and the bat on the Mendelsohn card looks like a two toned color. The other bat is one color throughout.

Any thoughts?

Tony

xcgrammer 10-04-2013 09:28 PM

I dont think there was just one Black Betsy. Unless it was made of titanium. I dont think there were 100 but I think there were quite a few.

Leon 10-07-2013 09:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by xcgrammer (Post 1191910)
I dont think there was just one Black Betsy. Unless it was made of titanium. I dont think there were 100 but I think there were quite a few.

I don't know about quite a few but no doubt there were some Black Betsy's.....And about this M101-6 Jackson, what an awesome card. If I didn't have any fiscal responsibilities I would be all over it. But I do, so I will just watch....

And as to the question in the first post, from 5 yrs ago, here is one on the list and I know there is at least one more Successful Farming Promo card. My question would then be, are there ANY Successful Farming non-Promo Joe Jacksons known? (the promo cards had no number on the front, at bottom)

Runscott 10-07-2013 09:59 AM

That card is one-of-a-kind, but so is the description. It has eclipsed all past auction descriptions, especially in its handling of wear to a card:

"While this image is fantastic, this card does contain multiple creases, most which are restricted to the corners and do not intersect Jackson’s image. The first is a 1-1/2 inch crease across the upper left corner, not touching the Betsy, but close enough to appear as a bolt of lightning flowing into the bat, similar to the lightning flashes caused by Roy Hobbs’ the “Savoy Special” in the Natural."

JamesGallo 10-07-2013 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1192519)
I don't know about quite a few but no doubt there were some Black Betsy's.....And about this M101-6 Jackson, what an awesome card. If I didn't have any fiscal responsibilities I would be all over it. But I do, so I will just watch....

And as to the question in the first post, from 5 yrs ago, here is one on the list and I know there is at least one more Successful Farming Promo card. My question would then be, are there ANY Successful Farming non-Promo Joe Jacksons known? (the promo cards had no number on the front, at bottom)

Wow so cool to see one of my posts from ages ago bumped up :-)

Leon, is that Successful Framing yours? It is quite nice and with a cool back, certainly one of the more exciting backs with that front.

James G

e107collector 10-08-2013 09:48 AM

Jackson

Leon,

That Jackson of yours has really nice centering on the front and back of it. You don't see that too often with that type of issue.

In regards to my post about the "Black Betsy" bat, if I was going to put up $500K for a bat, I would want "THE Black Betsy," not Black Betsy the VIII.

Tony

Leon 10-08-2013 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesGallo (Post 1192778)
Wow so cool to see one of my posts from ages ago bumped up :-)

Leon, is that Successful Framing yours? It is quite nice and with a cool back, certainly one of the more exciting backs with that front.

James G

Hi James
Yes, it is one I picked up only a few months ago. There was a full set of 6 Successful Farming Promo cards in an REA auction not too long ago. This was a second set that was auctioned individually.

Tony- Yes, the centering is quite unbelievable for the series as well as the borders are huge. The only downside is the tiny surface scratch at his belt, which isn't too noticeable. I usually don't like that kind of tiny paper loss but the other attributes more than made up for it. I always wanted an M101-4/5 Jackson and figured this was the one for me. It also sort of filled the hole of a Successful Farming Promo card, so it was like filling 2 holes at once :).