Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   S74 Silks - HOF checklist (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=85146)

Archive 04-20-2007 05:20 PM

S74 Silks - HOF checklist

Posted By: <b>steve</b><p>Is there any checklist for 1) the S74-1 silks w/paper backing, and 2) Colored S74-2 silks ?<br /><br />I am more interested in the colored silks as I have Matty, Cobb and Johnson - but need other 4 major HOF'ers. <br /><br />My question: Are there colored silks for Cy Young, Lajoie, Speaker, super outside chance Wagner ? I have never seen these four. Anyone have one of these four ?<br /><br />Steve

Archive 04-20-2007 05:33 PM

Posted By: <b>Jimmy Piccuito</b><p>In the past I have had almost every Hall of Famer in the colored set and never came across those four - but Speaker and Young are listed - Wagner and Lajoie are not in the set because the set used images from the T205 set. There are more HOF players in the colored set - I had a nice purple Walter Johnson a few months back<br /><br />Take Care<br /><br />Jimmy <br />

Archive 04-20-2007 06:09 PM

Posted By: <b>John S</b><p>Checklists can be found in both Lew's Encyclopedia and the Standard Catalog. I believe that the lists have remained fairly static for the last 25 years with a couple additions in that time period.

Archive 04-21-2007 08:00 AM

Posted By: <b>andy becker</b><p>hi guys,<br />speaker and young are out there. wagner and lajoie are not.<br /><br />lew's book is a better reference for silks than scd. <br /><br />the colored (s74-2) checklist is not the same as white (s74-1) checklist. <br /><br />lew's book also references an uncut sheet of each which is a great resource too. <br /><br />regards,<br />andy

Archive 04-21-2007 10:57 AM

Posted By: <b>Anonymous</b><p>I have several S74 White Silks and recently noticed there are color variations in the ink printing. All of the ones I have are Old Mill backed and have brown, red, blue & rust (faded brown?) printing. Does anyone know about distribution, why the differences, is one more dificult than the others, other colors, etc.? <br />Thanks!

Archive 04-21-2007 01:07 PM

Posted By: <b>andy becker</b><p>the use of maroon, black, or blue front ink on the white silks is random.<br />maroon and black are more common.<br />blue is more scarce.<br /><br />there is a correlation within some tobacco brands of front ink color and folded vs. not folded examples.....at least that has been my experience. <br />

Archive 04-21-2007 03:02 PM

Posted By: <b>steve</b><p>Jimmy P. - did I get my W.Johnson silk from you while back - its graded GAI 6 with purple tone?<br /><br />I hope to someday come by the Speaker and Young colored silks in an honest EX 5 or better. It would make an impressive little display - the 5 S74's of Cobb, Matty, W.Johnson, Young & Speaker ! Please let me know if anyone has the Young or Speaker available.<br /><br />Thanks Steve

Archive 04-21-2007 07:51 PM

Posted By: <b>Jimmy Piccuito</b><p>I had it at a trade show last fall - and it was picked up by one of the collectors I deal with, you may have got it from him - it maybe the same one -and yes it was a high grade silk - I thought it might get a 6 or a 7 - I am glad someone on the board got it.<br /><br />Take Care<br /><br />Jimmy<br />