Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Tuesday Nite TRIVIA..... (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=299177)

tedzan 03-23-2021 07:10 PM

Tuesday Nite TRIVIA.....

There is one guy who it can be said has had the most exciting and demanding experience in the game of Baseball.

And, what's even more incredible, he essentially has experienced this event TWICE in his career.

So, who is he ? ?

TED Z

T206 Reference

Casey2296 03-23-2021 07:16 PM

Johnny Vander Meer back to back no hitters.

mark evans 03-23-2021 07:18 PM

Bob Gibson

vthobby 03-23-2021 07:29 PM

Tony!

Tony Cloninger

marzoumanian 03-23-2021 07:40 PM

I'm Thinking Outside the Box

The way this question is worded I'm thinking it's not a player but instead an umpire or an announcer at a World Series. So I will go with Vince Scully.

sycks22 03-23-2021 07:40 PM

Ozzie Smith career hr

tedzan 03-23-2021 07:47 PM

Tuesday Nite TRIVIA.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casey2296 (Post 2084824)
Johnny Vander Meer back to back no hitters.

Phil

Vander Meer is a great answer....but, not the ballplayer I'm looking for.

However, your thinking is on the right track.

https://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan...VanderMeer.jpg

Both Reynolds and Vander Meer have pitched two No-Hitters in a single season.

TED Z

T206 Reference

Mark17 03-23-2021 07:47 PM

Joe DiMaggio.

Monster hitting streaks.

bnorth 03-23-2021 07:54 PM

double post

bnorth 03-23-2021 07:56 PM

Roger Clemens with two 20 strikeout games.

Ted Williams leading the league in batting average for 2 consecutive decades.

Jason19th 03-23-2021 07:56 PM

Is there a catcher who caught two perfect games?

smellthegum 03-23-2021 07:57 PM

Ron Hassey caught 2 perfect games.

robw1959 03-23-2021 08:00 PM

If the most exciting and demanding MLB task is to pitch a 9-inning World Series shutout, Christy Mathewson did it three times in the 1905 Series. But obviously it's something else, right, Ted?

pitchernut 03-23-2021 08:03 PM

Addie Joss?

tedzan 03-23-2021 08:07 PM

Tuesday Nite TRIVIA.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark17 (Post 2084841)
Joe DiMaggio.

Monster hitting streaks.

Mark

Another great answer. Joe D ran a 66-game hitting streak playing for San Fran. in the PCL.

And, of course his famous 56-game streak in 1941. Which I think will never be broken.

However, Joe D is not the answer I'm looking for.

https://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan...oedtedwill.jpg

TED Z

T206 Reference

Mark17 03-23-2021 08:08 PM

[QUOTE=tedzan;2084822]There is one guy who it can be said has had the most exciting and demanding experience in the game of Baseball.

And, what's even more incredible, he essentially has experienced this event TWICE in his career.

So, who is he ? ?

TED Z

Let's parse the question.....

"Game of baseball": Perhaps a more generic term than the assumed "Major League Baseball"
"Most exciting": Drama that lasts for weeks and weeks
"Most demanding": Having to come through every single day for 2 straight months
"Essentially": Signifies a nuance

Answer: DiMaggio hitting ion 56 straight games in the Majors in 1941, and hitting in 61 straight games in the PCL in 1933

DanP 03-23-2021 08:09 PM

Walsh

Ed Walsh....2 complete game victories of double header twice

Peter_Spaeth 03-23-2021 08:15 PM

Someone on the field for two unassisted triple plays. Nobody himself made two (only 15 in history) but some were close together so the same player might have "experienced" two.

tedzan 03-23-2021 09:07 PM

Tuesday Nite TRIVIA.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark17 (Post 2084856)

Let's parse the question.....

"Game of baseball": Perhaps a more generic term than the assumed "Major League Baseball"
"Most exciting": Drama that lasts for weeks and weeks
"Most demanding": Having to come through every single day for 2 straight months
"Essentially": Signifies a nuance

Answer: DiMaggio hitting ion 56 straight games in the Majors in 1941, and hitting in 61 straight games in the PCL in 1933

Hey Mark

I'm not going to get in a "nit-picking" debate here. This is meant to be fun. Damn it, it's too late in the day to "quibble" over this kind of stuff.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________

Whatever, there have been some great responses so far in this thread. It's been a long day, so here is the answer I was looking for:

Yogi Berra
https://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan...BreadBerra.jpghttps://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan...photoAutog.jpg

In the 4th game of the 1947 World Series Bill Bevens was ONE out away from achieving a No-Hitter in the World Series. With 2 outs in the 9th inning and Dodgers on the bases,
Cookie Lavagetto hit a Double off the famous RF wall at Ebbets Field to win the game for the Dodgers. You could say that this experience for Yogi was a "rehearsal" for what was
to be 9 years hence.

Oct 8th 1956, the magical 5th game of the World Series which we all know what occurred, was a game I personally watched on our TV (I played hooky that day).

Don Larsen made two very modest statements to the press......regarding his his success......

"Yogi called all the pitches; and, the Dodgers made it easy for me, as I threw only 97 pitches".

TED Z

T206 Reference

Peter_Spaeth 03-23-2021 09:11 PM

How about Stengel's quote?

Allegedly, someone incredibly asked him after the game if it was the best game Larsen had ever pitched, and he said, so far.

Casey2296 03-23-2021 09:52 PM

Thanks for posting this weeks trivia question Ted. That card reminds me of the time I got shithouse drunk with Mr Larsen at a bar one night.

ASF123 03-23-2021 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casey2296 (Post 2084889)
Thanks for posting this weeks trivia question Ted. That card reminds me of the time I got shithouse drunk with Mr Larsen at a bar one night.

Oh, come on, now you have to tell the story.

Mark17 03-23-2021 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tedzan (Post 2084874)
Hey Mark

I'm not going to get in a "nit-picking" debate here. This is meant to be fun. Damn it, it's too late in the day to "quibble" over this kind of stuff.

I'm sorry Ted, I was typing my post right as you were saying it wasn't Joe. I wasn't trying to quibble. I thought the key to the answer was in the wording of the question, that's all.

I didn't mean to annoy you (or anyone.)

DanP 03-23-2021 11:06 PM

Walsh

Ed Walsh....2 complete game victories of double header twice

tedzan 03-24-2021 07:12 AM

Tuesday Nite TRIVIA.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark17 (Post 2084896)
I'm sorry Ted, I was typing my post right as you were saying it wasn't Joe. I wasn't trying to quibble. I thought the key to the answer was in the wording of the question, that's all.

I didn't mean to annoy you (or anyone.)

Mark

I am sorry, too.....I very tired last night by 10 PM. I did not mean to get "nasty".

Your answer of Joe DiMaggio was as good (if not better) than mine of Yogi Berra.

I was really thinking in terms of individual game achievements.

IMO, DiMaggio's 56-game hitting streak will never be broken. His style of playing
the game isn't played anymore.

Take care,

TED Z

T206 Reference

tedzan 03-24-2021 08:44 AM

Tuesday Nite TRIVIA.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casey2296 (Post 2084889)

Hi Phil

Circa 2004.....I met Don Larsen in Cooperstown on HOF weekend. He was set-up at a store front on Main Street signing things. We talked for quite a while
about the events of that magic day in October of 1956. While he signed a few items for me, we reminisced about the two great defensive plays that saved
the no-hitter. There was a sparkle in Don's blue eyes when he recalled the heads-up play by Gil McDougald at Shortstop retrieving the ball off Andy Carey's
mis-Q of a line drive off the bat of Jackie Robinson. Gil rifled it to 1st base to get Jackie out by a step. We talked about Mickey Mantle's great running catch
of Gil Hodges 440-foot drive into "death valley" (left-center field). I found Don to be a very humble guy. He said "the Dodgers made it easy for me, I threw
only 97 pitches".

I told Don..."I watched the entire game on our TV. It was the only day I played hooky from school back in the 1950's ?"

When I was leaving, Don said...."I don't believe you ?"

I stopped and asked him about what ?

Don said...."I don't believe that Oct 8th 1956 was the only day you played hooky from school". We parted laughing.

TED Z

T206 Reference

Mark17 03-24-2021 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tedzan (Post 2084973)
We talked about Mickey Mantle's great running catch
of Gil Hodges 440-foot drive into "death valley" (left-center field).

There was a third Yankee who helped save that perfecto. The oldest man in uniform that day. Listen carefully right after Hodges is announced, at about the 28 second mark:

http://vendiamo.com/Miley/Stengel_Mantle.mp3

tedzan 03-24-2021 10:42 AM

Tuesday Nite TRIVIA.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark17 (Post 2084978)
There was a third Yankee who helped save that perfecto. The oldest man in uniform that day. Listen carefully right after Hodges is announced, at about the 28 second mark:

http://vendiamo.com/Miley/Stengel_Mantle.mp3

Thanks Mark for the audio.....gee, does it bring back memories.

Also, I do recall in my conversation with Don Larsen that he mentioned Casey Stengel telling Mantle to move over from CF a little towards Left Field when Gil Hodges came to bat.

It doesn't get any better in BB than that Perfect game.

Incidentally, have you read the book "PERFECT", by Lew Paper. It is excellently written, in that he devotes 18 chapters to the history of each ballplayer in this game (Dodgers and Yankees).

One story I especially like is regarding Duke Snider, who was a great all-around athlete in Compton (CA) High School. The Duke almost chose an NFL career. A great commentary
by Pete Rozelle (Snider's classmate).

TED Z

T206 Reference

Peter_Spaeth 03-24-2021 12:45 PM

It's great to hear audio from those days. There's nothing better in baseball, IMO, than Russ Hodges' call of the Thompson home run.