Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Vintage Graded Cards (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=300079)

Miner30 04-09-2021 07:10 PM

Vintage Graded Cards

Hi everyone! First post on the forum. I am trying to build a collection of rookie cards of the top 50 players of St. Louis Cardinals (I’m using bwar as my baseline for determining this). I have most of the big ones already (Musial PSA 5, Gibson PSA 6, Hornsby PSA 3 and Brock PSA 7). A few years ago, my wife bought me an Ozzie Smith BCCG 9. I wasn’t thrilled, but it looks like a good card and it has some sentimental value since she bought it for me. Anyway, since PSA graded prices have skyrocketed, what are your thoughts on buying a BCCG 9 or 10 compared to a PSA 6 or 7? I can pick up some players for around $30 as a BCCG 9 or 10 compared to over $100 for a PSA 6 or 7. The BCCG’s look to be very nice condition from what I can tell. I could always break them later and submit to PSA. Thougts?

Casey2296 04-09-2021 07:16 PM

Welcome to the sub and good luck in your hunt.

marzoumanian 04-09-2021 07:27 PM

My Two Cents

If you want to sell your collection before you die or in X number of years, I say stick with PSA OR buy other TPG cards, break them out, and then resubmit to PSA. If you're planning to keep the cards until the day you die and pass them on to your family, buy the card, not the holder, and enjoy each card for its beauty to you. But don't just take my word, of course. Check out some auctions currently going on right now and compare the prices PSA cards are getting to the prices SGC or Beckett cards are getting for the SAME player in the SAME grade. In the vast majority of cases you will see that PSA cards do better in the open market. That is what I have seen, at least. Hope this helps. Peace.

Aquarian Sports Cards 04-09-2021 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miner30 (Post 2091316)
Hi everyone! First post on the forum. I am trying to build a collection of rookie cards of the top 50 players of St. Louis Cardinals (I’m using bwar as my baseline for determining this). I have most of the big ones already (Musial PSA 5, Gibson PSA 6, Hornsby PSA 3 and Brock PSA 7). A few years ago, my wife bought me an Ozzie Smith BCCG 9. I wasn’t thrilled, but it looks like a good card and it has some sentimental value since she bought it for me. Anyway, since PSA graded prices have skyrocketed, what are your thoughts on buying a BCCG 9 or 10 compared to a PSA 6 or 7? I can pick up some players for around $30 as a BCCG 9 or 10 compared to over $100 for a PSA 6 or 7. The BCCG’s look to be very nice condition from what I can tell. I could always break them later and submit to PSA. Thougts?

If you are a good judge of condition it's an excellent plan. There are definitely some nice cards in BCCG holders, just got to weed out the duds.

Miner30 04-09-2021 07:40 PM

Thanks for the replies and advice! I’m still not sure what I’m going to do.

RCMcKenzie 04-09-2021 09:44 PM

I dunno. I don't consider Ozzie Smith, "vintage". BCCG holders add no value to the card. Anyway, happy collecting. I also think the postcard threads should be moved to the memorabilia section with the Rod Carew and Fred Lynn game used bats, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.