Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Building a set without the internet (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=311445)

scmavl 12-03-2021 12:03 PM

Building a set without the internet

I'm just curious if in the past decade or so any of you folks have tried to build a set with no assistance from the internet? Just card shows, trades with friends/friends-of-friends, etc, like we used to do. Unless it's a truly difficult set, it's so easy to complete one via ebay now, as long as your funds allow it. I just think it could be a neat challenge. I miss seeing a FS ad in the back of a magazine with no photo, sending away money, and hoping I get a nice card in return.

bnorth 12-03-2021 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scmavl (Post 2170718)
I'm just curious if in the past decade or so any of you folks have tried to build a set with no assistance from the internet? Just card shows, trades with friends/friends-of-friends, etc, like we used to do. Unless it's a truly difficult set, it's so easy to complete one via ebay now, as long as your funds allow it. I just think it could be a neat challenge. I miss seeing a FS ad in the back of a magazine with no photo, sending away money, and hoping I get a nice card in return.

Never tried it because there just aren't any shows around here anymore. I did complete a lower/mid grade complete 1955 Bowman set just buying cards off here(Net54). It took a couple years and was well worth the experience. Got killed selling it though.

scmavl 12-03-2021 01:02 PM

Yikes, I hate to hear that Ben. I'm considering doing this, but as there are few shows here (and no card shops that sell individual cards) then maybe just "no ebay/auctions" would kind of modernize it without making it simply click + buy.

Fred 12-03-2021 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scmavl (Post 2170718)

Is that even possible? :p

I pretty much rely on the internet for a huge majority of my searches/transactions. On the wrong coast there's not many good shows and we certainly don't have dealers with the same quality/quantity of vintage material that exists in the north-east side of the US.

bnorth 12-03-2021 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scmavl (Post 2170741)
Yikes, I hate to hear that Ben. I'm considering doing this, but as there are few shows here (and no card shops that sell individual cards) then maybe just "no ebay/auctions" would kind of modernize it without making it simply click + buy.

When buying a set in smaller groups and singles the shipping adds up real quick.

Carter08 12-03-2021 01:21 PM

Would be a great project.

HercDriver 12-03-2021 02:03 PM

Obc

If you mean “no internet” as buying cards, but still able to use it to communicate, then it happens all the time in OBC. Guys put together sets in a couple days from other members bombarding them with cards. However, it’s an internet group.

Cheers,
Geno

scmavl 12-03-2021 02:27 PM

I actually meant no forums/websites/etc, just in person/phone/magazines/shows. "Paelo Set Building", if you will.

thatkidfromjerrymaguire 12-03-2021 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scmavl (Post 2170762)
I actually meant no forums/websites/etc, just in person/phone/magazines/shows. "Paelo Set Building", if you will.

I love the thought provoking post.

One additional problem with that, even though you mention "friends/friends-of-friends" is that not many of my local in person friends collect.

As a kid, pretty much 80% of my friends were all chasing 1987 Topps...so it was easy to get a trade going.

But now, of the one or two guys I know that collect, we don't really collect the same sets...so trading partners are pretty much ZERO without the internet.

scmavl 12-03-2021 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thatkidfromjerrymaguire (Post 2170769)
But now, of the one or two guys I know that collect, we don't really collect the same sets...so trading partners are pretty much ZERO without the internet.

Same here. Therein lies the challenge. :cool:

JollyElm 12-03-2021 03:20 PM

I find the thought so impossible that I couldn't even imagine building a set without 99% of the cards coming from eBay and other on-line acquisitions. And in the COVID era, card shows are as infrequent as lunar eclipses, so there's not a lot of hope working that avenue successfully.

bbcard1 12-03-2021 03:43 PM

That was one of the great things about owning a shop in the 80s...set builders coming in...we helped a lot of people build 1987 Topps sets.

GasHouseGang 12-03-2021 05:05 PM

I did it back in the day all the time. But not in the last 30 years. It would be possible but extremely difficult for any older sets. All of the local shops have modern cards but very little vintage. If you were building this year's base set I guess you could probably do that pretty easy with buying at the local shops.

midmo 12-03-2021 05:41 PM

I try to go to a couple shows a month. From what I see I think 1953 Topps and later might be doable over time, but earlier stuff would be pretty tough. I'm slowly working on 4 sets now and have been picking up pieces at shows. No desire to limit where I get stuff though.

BearBailey 12-03-2021 06:38 PM

I think it’s possible depending on where you live and the availability of card shows or shops, but probably more difficult then the 80’s and 90’s by a wide margin. I went to local shows and shops and the willow grove shows and eventually the national to complete sets back then, but now I think more people sell online as compared to shows and in person, I wish it weren’t that way but don’t see it ever going back. Seems like a fun project but might be extremely difficult. If you decide to do it keep us updated on your progress.