Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Jersey City Giants Scorecards (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=271418)

jerseygary 07-18-2019 06:02 AM

Jersey City Giants Scorecards

1 Attachment(s)
Being originally from North Jersey, I have always had a special place for baseball ephemera from my home state. When I was a kid my grandfather used to tell me about how he and his pals used to sneak into Jersey City Giants and Newark Bears games. Being the top farm clubs for the New York giants and Yankees respectively, my grandpa would list off all the great players he was able to see before they became stars in the majors. Once I found my first Jersey City Giants scorecard, I was hooked.

He's a run of scorecards from 1941 (the first year the team added graphics to the cover, through 1950 when they left town for good. (I had a '46 but sold it a while back). These come up every so often on ebay, but here's a chance to see the bulk of the run in one place.

I especially like the 1944 edition, with the graphic at the bottom of soldiers and sailors gathered around radios listening to baseball back home. The '45 one is nice as well with the cool "JC" logo prominently displayed. But I think I like the 1941 the best, it just has a wonderful look about it that today's baseball graphics sorely lack.

Collectors might note that these look very close to the big league Giants scorecards of the same year, and that is because the Harry Stevens Company, which did all the New York teams scorecards also did Jersey City's.

These guys are currently up individually on ebay ending Sunday night.

Attachment 359731

Jim65 07-18-2019 02:17 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Very nice, I have the same '45. I also collect Jersey items but go more for the game used, heres my Ben Heise bat from his 1977 season with the Jersey City Indians.

bigfanNY 07-18-2019 04:08 PM

I picked up a champion 1913 Newark Indians yearbook in last LOG auction. Never saw one before it is fantastic. Also picked up a Bears little world series program from 40 I think..I will post pics when back from vacation..

jerseygary 07-19-2019 08:34 AM

Nice bat!

And please do post pictures of those Newark pieces - as an aside, I design most of the t-shirts for Ebbets Field Flannels and just finish one of the 1940 Newark Bears. I think it will be available in August.

CobbSpikedMe 07-21-2019 12:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hi Gary,

I collect Jersey City Skeeters prewar items. Well, cards mostly as I can't afford much else. But I was able to find this awesome cabinet photo of a couple players during a Spring training session. It's in rough shape but I love it.

Here is a link to my Jersey City page of my wantlist site too. It has most of the cards I know of pictured, many of them I own but not all of them.

Jersey City Skeeters

Andy