Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   1. Card Collector Clubs? 2. Anyone near Fargo, ND? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=244511)

dani0100 09-03-2017 08:45 PM

1. Card Collector Clubs? 2. Anyone near Fargo, ND?

Hi all:

I'm curious to know if anyone has a card collector's club in their area. I used to live in the Boston area and I believe that the big annual card show there is put on by a club, but I have no idea how it operates or whether they do anything other than the show. I know other areas have shows organized by collector's clubs.

What I don't know is whether there are clubs that do other types of events, such as educational classes for new collectors or for advanced collectors, trading days, promotional events, etc. I think that meeting in person with fellow collectors would be really fun and a great way to do some trading or just learn more about other folks' collections.

I live in a pretty isolated part of the country, namely, Fargo, North Dakota, so having a club of collectors would be especially useful since you don't really meet a lot of people at, say, the local card shop because there's only one and it's mostly games like Magic the Gathering.

A club could be really great for both vintage and modern collectors to trade notes, trade cards, educate younger collectors, and put on good card shows that could be marketed as a group effort. I'm going to try and start one in my area and I'm wondering if anyone has experienced participating in a good club in their area and, if so, what kinds of activities are most liked by participants?

Separately, if anyone is in my area and on this board, I'd love to hear from you!

Thanks,
Miguel

Leon 09-04-2017 06:15 AM

You might be the only collector in ND? :) I don't know of many collector clubs as we have the internet and small local shows. Maybe others will....Best we got is Club 54.

jb217676 09-04-2017 06:27 AM

Ben (Forever Young), the Mayor of Fargo!

bdk1976 09-04-2017 09:16 AM

I'm somewhat familiar with the area (moreso with Grand Forks area) but don't spend too much time in that part of the country anymore. Last time I was in Fargo a few years ago it seemed like a metropolis compared to how it was when I was a kid.

I remember hitting up some local card shops in Fargo/Moorhead close to 30 years ago, but that was during the boom years and there were probably a lot more shops around then. I remember the Roger Maris 'museum' in West Acres and seem to recall a shop nearby in the mall(?), but if there was a shop it's likely long gone by now.

Best of luck to you if you decide to start something up, but be aware that a lot of collectors have moved on to the internet for the things you listed (this forum is a great example).

JollyElm 09-04-2017 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dani0100 (Post 1697631)
Hi all:

I'm curious to know if anyone has a card collector's club in their area. I used to live in the Boston area and I believe that the big annual card show there is put on by a club, but I have no idea how it operates or whether they do anything other than the show. I know other areas have shows organized by collector's clubs.

What I don't know is whether there are clubs that do other types of events, such as educational classes for new collectors or for advanced collectors, trading days, promotional events, etc. I think that meeting in person with fellow collectors would be really fun and a great way to do some trading or just learn more about other folks' collections.

I live in a pretty isolated part of the country, namely, Fargo, North Dakota, so having a club of collectors would be especially useful since you don't really meet a lot of people at, say, the local card shop because there's only one and it's mostly games like Magic the Gathering.

A club could be really great for both vintage and modern collectors to trade notes, trade cards, educate younger collectors, and put on good card shows that could be marketed as a group effort. I'm going to try and start one in my area and I'm wondering if anyone has experienced participating in a good club in their area and, if so, what kinds of activities are most liked by participants?

Separately, if anyone is in my area and on this board, I'd love to hear from you!

Thanks,
Miguel

Based on the TV show and movie, I would assume whatever card clubs you had in Fargo were destroyed by some murderous psychopath. :D

Ray Van 09-10-2017 10:13 AM

Hi Miguel,
It's about 4 hours north of you, but in Winnipeg, Canada there is a group called the Red River Sports Collectors Association. It's a small group of collectors that meets monthly with a mix of vintage and modern. To connect with them, they have a facebook page (it hasn't been updated in some time but I know the group is still going). Hope this helps!

https://www.facebook.com/RedRiverSportsCollectors/

- Ray