Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Crossover Experience - Old SGC to PSA (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=346377)

JElwell1956 02-15-2024 08:39 PM

Crossover Experience - Old SGC to PSA

I had a few questions about crossover grades and everyone’s experience. I’ve got a handful of Delongs that were graded by SGC in the early 2000s and I’m thinking about getting them crossed over.
Before anyone jumps to the “what a waste of bleeping money” argument, I know. I just like the registry so [emoji2373]
My concern is that I send 12 cards, put minimum grades, PSA says no to half of them and then I’ve got half and half so I’m even less happy.
Has anyone had good experience getting say a 5.5 crossed over? The cards look beautiful to me but I’ve only seen them in holders. I’m also concerned they are not perfectly rectangular, SGC says that’s allowed to certain grades, but I’m worried PSA would say Authentic if I didn’t put a minimum grade.
Anyway that’s all, interested in anyone’s experience.
Some pics below.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...c45316665a.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...44dbda14fd.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...f5717b6be0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carter08 02-15-2024 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JElwell1956 (Post 2413338)
I had a few questions about crossover grades and everyone’s experience. I’ve got a handful of Delongs that were graded by SGC in the early 2000s and I’m thinking about getting them crossed over.
Before anyone jumps to the “what a waste of bleeping money” argument, I know. I just like the registry so [emoji2373]
My concern is that I send 12 cards, put minimum grades, PSA says no to half of them and then I’ve got half and half so I’m even less happy.
Has anyone had good experience getting say a 5.5 crossed over? The cards look beautiful to me but I’ve only seen them in holders. I’m also concerned they are not perfectly rectangular, SGC says that’s allowed to certain grades, but I’m worried PSA would say Authentic if I didn’t put a minimum grade.
Anyway that’s all, interested in anyone’s experience.
Some pics below.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...c45316665a.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...44dbda14fd.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...f5717b6be0.jpg

The cards look beautiful. My non-scientific thought is that psa grading seems to be insane at this point. An older grade psa or sgc 5.5 can get a current psa 2. Not always the case obviously.

Snowman 02-15-2024 09:07 PM

I crack out and cross a lot of cards in both directions, PSA to SGC and SGC to PSA. If you have old cert SGC cards from the early 2000s and you're hoping to cross them over to PSA today at the same grade (and even moreso for half-grade cards), you're going to be very disappointed. If you submitted 20 old cert SGC to PSA you'd be lucky to cross even one of them now. With recently graded SGC, you'd have better luck so long as corners aren't the reason for the grade.

Directly 02-16-2024 12:43 AM

Crossover

I could ask TPG --can one submit a encapsulated graded card without cracking the card out--in other words let them remove the card not me?

brunswickreeves 02-16-2024 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowman (Post 2413346)
I crack out and cross a lot of cards in both directions, PSA to SGC and SGC to PSA. If you have old cert SGC cards from the early 2000s and you're hoping to cross them over to PSA today at the same grade (and even moreso for half-grade cards), you're going to be very disappointed. If you submitted 20 old cert SGC to PSA you'd be lucky to cross even one of them now. With recently graded SGC, you'd have better luck so long as corners aren't the reason for the grade.

You should write a blog like Tanner’s Tan Man Baseball Fan, but call it: Upgrade-How I help baseball cards earn extra bases

Vintagedeputy 02-16-2024 04:13 AM

I’ve actually just started building this set in SGC slabs, so I’m interested to see the final results.

parkplace33 02-16-2024 05:53 AM

Like snowman says, you will be disappointed.

Johnny630 02-16-2024 06:50 AM

I have found over the years especially recently SGC is killer tough on print and wax stains on the back more lenient on corners and centering. PSA is super tough on centering and sometimes doesn’t know the grain on the back of Bowmans, thinks they’re wrinkles and will knock down big. Unless head graders look at your card they know grain and paper very well on vintage it’s just getting to them to grade your card prob requires a higher value fee submission.

toledo_mudhen 02-16-2024 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Directly (Post 2413360)
I could ask TPG --can one submit a encapsulated graded card without cracking the card out--in other words let them remove the card not me?

Yes - I believe that they will (PSA at least)

Svabinsky78 02-16-2024 07:18 AM

Silly questions. I have never submitted a slabbed card for a crossover, which is why I am asking.

The company will not crack the slab if they don't think the card will meet your minimum grade, correct? If that is the case, how do they evaluate the surface with the card in the slab?

Second question, if you are submitting simply to upgrade a slab - i.e. old PSA slab to new PSA slab - will they honor the old grade, even if they woul hammer the card by today's standard if submitting as raw?

DCJayhawk 02-16-2024 07:31 AM

Crossover

I have crossed 10 SGC Cards in old slabs over to PSA within the last year All of these cards were either SGC 5.5 (70) or SGC 6 (80). I had set the min grade crossover to a PSA 5. Of the 10, 9 crossed over and lost either a full point or a half point. I have seen in new SGC slabs that the drop is usually only a half point. This also may be due to the SGC cards I purchased having strong eye appeal. At the end of the day, its a risk, but if you know your cards are nice, and would likely hold up under stricter scrutiny, then Id say go for it.

JElwell1956 02-16-2024 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Svabinsky78 (Post 2413399)
Silly questions. I have never submitted a slabbed card for a crossover, which is why I am asking.

The company will not crack the slab if they don't think the card will meet your minimum grade, correct? If that is the case, how do they evaluate the surface with the card in the slab?

Second question, if you are submitting simply to upgrade a slab - i.e. old PSA slab to new PSA slab - will they honor the old grade, even if they woul hammer the card by today's standard if submitting as raw?

I sent a beautiful SGC 1956 Clemente in a new slab graded 7 to PSA for a crossover and set a minimum grade of 7 (for registry) and the did not crack it, simply charged me a ton of money and returned it. Not sure how they check the surface closely enough.

Snowman 02-16-2024 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny630 (Post 2413391)
I have found over the years especially recently SGC is killer tough on print and wax stains on the back more lenient on corners and centering. PSA is super tough on centering and sometimes doesn’t know the grain on the back of Bowmans, thinks they’re wrinkles and will knock down big. Unless head graders look at your card they know grain and paper very well on vintage it’s just getting to them to grade your card prob requires a higher value fee submission.

I agree on the grain on the back of Bowmans. Those are hit or miss depending on who gets your card at PSA. I've never had one get hammered for that at SGC. But PSA is definitely more lenient than SGC on centering, significantly more lenient in fact. Not just in practice, but also in their published grading standards.

Snowman 02-16-2024 09:42 AM

Quote:

Correct. They will not crack it unless they are going to cross it over. As for the surface, they just do the best they can. If the slab is all scuffed up, they likely won't cross it because they can't tell what the surface is like. If you plan to cross a card over in its slab, you should buff out the scratches before hand with some car polish or headlight polish so they can see it better.

Quote:

It's called a 'reholder', and yes, they will honor the grade as long as the slab is not cracked or damaged. If the slab shows any damage though, they will treat the card inside as a raw card and will ignore the previous grade.

facex002 02-16-2024 09:50 AM

Quote:

The previous comments are right on, but I would add one thing. PSA seems to be exceedingly tough on crossovers - almost like they want to prove they have tougher grading standards. I have submitted a handful of crossovers, and only once did it not come back with a lower grade (and that was a 19th century card graded as a 2). One of them was so obviously undergraded that I cracked it out and resubmitted it raw, and it came back a point and a half higher. I would definitely suggest cracking them yourself and submitting raw if the grade matters to you.

raulus 02-16-2024 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowman (Post 2413422)
It's called a 'reholder', and yes, they will honor the grade as long as the slab is not cracked or damaged. If the slab shows any damage though, they will treat the card inside as a raw card and will ignore the previous grade.

This must be a newer policy. I've submitted a handful of cracked or broken PSA slabs in the past (probably around 2018/2019), and they've always come back from PSA at the same grade.

So either I got lucky, or this is a new policy. Or maybe it's a policy that they don't always apply, because erratic application of policies seems to be one of the most endearing features when it comes to the TPGs.

Yoda 02-16-2024 11:04 AM

Whatever happened to that old hobby saying, "buy the card not the holder?" If you are reasonably happy with what you have, keep them and avoid all the angst and expense of a crossover.

JElwell1956 02-16-2024 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2413454)
Whatever happened to that old hobby saying, "buy the card not the holder?" If you are reasonably happy with what you have, keep them and avoid all the angst and expense of a crossover.

I totally agree, but as I said in the original post I am interested in the registry, so the original holders don't help me much. I obviously bought the cards and not the holders in this case lol

Snowman 02-16-2024 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raulus (Post 2413428)
This must be a newer policy. I've submitted a handful of cracked or broken PSA slabs in the past (probably around 2018/2019), and they've always come back from PSA at the same grade.

So either I got lucky, or this is a new policy. Or maybe it's a policy that they don't always apply, because erratic application of policies seems to be one of the most endearing features when it comes to the TPGs.

The odds are that they will come back in the same grade if the slabs are cracked because the card probably didn't get damaged. So whatever grade you get is a reflection of how consistent they are. But they do treat damaged slabs as raw cards and have for as long as I can remember.

ullmandds 02-16-2024 05:53 PM

You must crack them and send them raw to psa. this is your only chance of a somewhat impartial result. i personally like sgc and believe they have been aeons more consistent in their grading over the years than PleaseSubmitAgain.

While Psa is being ridiculously harsh these days...I think you may be surprised at the results...maybe in a good way.

beautiful cards btw!

Fuddjcal 02-17-2024 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JElwell1956 (Post 2413467)
I totally agree, but as I said in the original post I am interested in the registry, so the original holders don't help me much. I obviously bought the cards and not the holders in this case lol

and then too "Anal Eddie" to enjoy them? :D:p

Some nice cards there. Can you find me a Gehrig... in any holder?