Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Help with a magazine issue - Cleveland Indians cards (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=300498)

JLange 04-17-2021 02:31 PM

Help with a magazine issue - Cleveland Indians cards

1 Attachment(s)
I am hoping that someone recognizes this magazine page, which is a sheet of 9 "card-like" images of Cleveland Indians from around 1980-81. There is unrelated advertising on the back, so it does not appear they were intended to be cutout individually. The origin of this is a mystery to me.

I would like to identify the magazine, and see if there is possibly another sheet that goes with this one. If you look at the team members represented, there are no infielders, and only two of three outfielders; also other more prominent pitchers are missing like Bert Blyleven (if its a 1981 issue).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

mrmopar 04-21-2021 06:27 PM

The back may provide a clue? I like the design.

JLange 04-22-2021 08:07 PM

Back of card ad

1 Attachment(s)
The back of the cards page is an ad for a Kawasaki 550 LTD motorcycle. I don't know if that helps pin down the year or publication, or not. The ad looks to be two pages. Maybe there are more "cards" on back of the other page? Pure speculation on my part.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmopar (Post 2095397)
The back may provide a clue? I like the design.

GasHouseGang 04-23-2021 12:51 AM

My original thought is that it probably came from a Cleveland Indians yearbook. I have a Yankees yearbook with a set of cards inside as a bonus.

roarfrom34 04-23-2021 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GasHouseGang (Post 2095750)
My original thought is that it probably came from a Cleveland Indians yearbook. I have a Yankees yearbook with a set of cards inside as a bonus.

or game program

mortimer brewster 04-23-2021 06:32 AM

Probably from 1981

Charbonneau was thru by 1982 Garland 1981. I would guess the year would be from 1981.

I researched an Indians program/scorebook from 1981 and the photos of the players are the standard B/w headshots. Possibly the yearbook?

I'm thinking because the top of each photo has the team name it is probably from one of the many preview magazines that came out back then. maybe photos of all the teams.

Or another teams Scorebook/program vs the visiting Indians

Gary Dunaier 04-25-2021 08:00 PM

Are we sure these were ever actually issued as cards?

Maybe they just decided to present the player photos as images of faux baseball cards.

JLange 04-26-2021 08:31 AM

Faux baseball cards

I agree they are not cards. I have a pretty loose definition of a "card" myself, but even I can't bring myself to recognize these as cards - yet. One of the criteria for me with regard to magazines and newspaper cutouts is that there should be some evidence that they were meant to be cutout - whether its card-like fronts AND backs, dotted line borders, a scissors clipart on the border, instructions on cutting out the "cards," or some callout by the producer such as, "Hey Kids - cutout and save these for your collection!" - something. I don't see any evidence for that in this case, so I don't consider them cards, even in my own very loose card definition.

I actually like the term "faux baseball cards." There are endless items that look like cards that people have clipped and saved over the years. This could fit that category.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier (Post 2096649)
Are we sure these were ever actually issued as cards?

Maybe they just decided to present the player photos as images of faux baseball cards.