Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Ebay stolen pictures - fraudulent listing (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=333199)

gonefishin 03-21-2023 01:40 PM

Ebay stolen pictures - fraudulent listing

I just saw a listing on Ebay for a card I sold about a year ago. It's for a graded Sadaharu Oh, PSA 8. The listing is still up, but when you click on it the card has been removed by Ebay. This is the second time with this particular card that someone has taken the photo from the original listing and tried to falsely sell the card on Ebay.

Crazy - how do these thief's think they can get away with something like this?

Has this happened to anyone else? How could they possibly sell a card they don't possess, collect the money, and get away with this scam?

gonefishin 03-21-2023 01:42 PM

Here is the link - 1967 Kabaya Leaf, Sadaharu Oh PSA 8.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...+leaf&_sacat=0

sb1 03-21-2023 01:56 PM

It's a common scam, about once a month a large number of past sold better items are all mass listed and buyers are urged to pay direct. Ebay usually kills them fairly quickly, which is why yours is no longer viewable.

gonefishin 03-21-2023 02:02 PM

Pretty sad - hell they even used my original listing title! They must somehow just capture the entire listing.

jingram058 03-21-2023 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gonefishin (Post 2325519)
Pretty sad - hell they even used my original listing title! They must somehow just capture the entire listing.

Yes, Firefox is one browser that lets you save a web page. There are bound to be others.

bnorth 03-21-2023 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jingram058 (Post 2325579)
Yes, Firefox is one browser that lets you save a web page. There are bound to be others.

You can also just go to any current or ended listing on eBay and click on the "Sell Now" button under the pictures. The new listing has the same pictures and title until you change it.

gonefishin 03-22-2023 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 2325580)
You can also just go to any current or ended listing on eBay and click on the "Sell Now" button under the pictures. The new listing has the same pictures and title until you change it.

Thanks Ben, I wasn't aware of that. Jim

bnorth 03-22-2023 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gonefishin (Post 2325724)
Thanks Ben, I wasn't aware of that. Jim

I try to use it for everything I sell. It saves you from having to fill out a lot of the specifics. I will usually change the title a little and always add my own pics. It does completely remove the description. I will sometime pull up the listing on another page and copy paste their description and slightly change it. I am sure there are better ways but I don't sell a lot of stuff so for me it makes listing way easier for me.

Vintagedeputy 03-22-2023 11:19 AM

I had a guy in a Facebook group offer to sell me a game used bat that I own.

gonefishin 03-22-2023 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vintagedeputy (Post 2325756)
I had a guy in a Facebook group offer to sell me a game used bat that I own.

Unbelievable! I can't believe the crap some crooks pull.

It's like a slap in the face when you see something like that. Law enforcement have other priorities I'm sure, but at some point these people should be held accountable.

bnorth 03-22-2023 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gonefishin (Post 2325759)
Unbelievable! I can't believe the crap some crooks pull.

It's like a slap in the face when you see something like that. Law enforcement have other priorities I'm sure, but at some point these people should be held accountable.

That is the bad part. It has been shown over and over and over that there is almost zero accountability for fraud in this hobby. Even the big fraudsters got a slap on the hand at best.

Mbailey77 03-22-2023 11:28 AM

I had a guy on here trying to scam me a 53 Bowman Mickey Mantle PSA 3. He simply stole the pics on ebay and was trying to sell the card as his. Even photo shopped a coined picture! He hounded me for days trying to get me to buy it for a ridiculous low price!

mrreality68 03-22-2023 01:29 PM

Sadly the joys of ebay and the scammers that use them

tbob 03-22-2023 06:48 PM

I had trouble with a couple of Net54ers who tried to get me to send money to PayPal for a couple of cards I had listed here as wanting to buy. I checked to make sure because something seemed ‘off’ and sure enough both had 0 posts on Net54. Luckily I avoided the scans. This was a little over a week ago.
I also noticed on eBay a seller selling some beautiful vintage tobacco slabed cards at auction for like $6.72 starting bids, no reserve. I bookmarked them to see what people were bidding on them and they were removed by eBay the next day because he didn’t own them and the scans were ‘stolen.’

gonefishin 03-23-2023 12:33 PM

It appears this is a very common method for scammers on ebay. It looks like they catch them pretty quickly.