Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Hey, pennant guys (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=183684)

ooo-ribay 03-07-2021 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erikc21 (Post 2077799)
I can’t see the pictures for that post - anybody else have the same issue?

I don’t have that issue but I can’t Help Andrew out with any info. I’m hoping someone else will be able to help. The pennants are 1” x 3.5.”

bocca001 03-07-2021 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7nohitter (Post 2077789)
Hey guys,

Any help or thoughts about the things I posted in post #4803?
Hoping to know a little about them before I just toss them.
Thank you!

I don't know what they are, but I think they look cool, even if they are small.

MK 03-08-2021 08:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Probably aren’t too many of these pennants still around.

perezfan 03-08-2021 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MK (Post 2078326)
Probably aren’t too many of these pennants still around.

Especially with the cancel culture rendering that word obsolete. That pennant would be banned today. Speaking of banning, they just cancelled two of my favorite all-time cartoons... Speedy Gonzales and Pepe le pew. :mad::confused::(

Fballguy 03-08-2021 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 2078414)
Especially with the cancel culture rendering that word obsolete. That pennant would be banned today. Speaking of banning, they just cancelled two of my favorite all-time cartoons... Speedy Gonzales and Pepe le pew. :mad::confused::(

I was going to say the same thing Mark. Amazing that it could be offensive to call women females LOL.

Ridiculous about the cartoons...I wonder if Fat Albert will make it through unscathed? Or did that already get cancelled by "Me Too" since its creator is a rapist?

perezfan 03-08-2021 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fballguy (Post 2078425)
I was going to say the same thing Mark. Amazing that it could be offensive to call women females LOL.

Ridiculous about the cartoons...I wonder if Fat Albert will make it through unscathed? Or did that already get cancelled by "Me Too" since its creator is a rapist?

IDK... they love to contradict themselves. What will they do with Foghorn Leghorn? The Chicken character (one of my all-time favorites) who stereotypes old-time blowhard politicians from the South. But the people being parodied are basically the enemy of the woke crowd, so I'm assuming Foghorn Leghorn will be ok. :rolleyes:

Here's just one other example of hundreds...

Megyn Kelly is fired for dressing up as Diana Ross (when she was a teenager). Done out of pure admiration and being a die-hard fan of The Supremes. A one-time occurrence from her childhood. Fired!

Yet Jimmy Kimmel is thriving... currently the face of Disney/ABC. This, despite his blackface impersonations of Karl Malone.... performed repeatedly and accompanied by a stereotypical black accent and ignorant subject matter. Far more disparaging, yet somehow deemed okay by "the powers that be".

I could cite hundreds of other examples, but we should really get back to pennants. Sorry for the diversion.

doug.goodman 03-08-2021 12:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Getting back on the pennant track...

MK 03-08-2021 12:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by doug.goodman (Post 2078446)

The Cubs version:

bocca001 03-08-2021 12:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Giants version

Fballguy 03-08-2021 04:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 2078433)
IDK... they love to contradict themselves. What will they do with Foghorn Leghorn? The Chicken character (one of my all-time favorites) who stereotypes old-time blowhard politicians from the South. But the people being parodied are basically the enemy of the woke crowd, so I'm assuming Foghorn Leghorn will be ok. :rolleyes:

Here's just one other example of hundreds...

Megyn Kelly is fired for dressing up as Diana Ross (when she was a teenager). Done out of pure admiration and being a die-hard fan of The Supremes. A one-time occurrence from her childhood. Fired!

Yet Jimmy Kimmel is thriving... currently the face of Disney/ABC. This, despite his blackface impersonations of Karl Malone.... performed repeatedly and accompanied by a stereotypical black accent and ignorant subject matter. Far more disparaging, yet somehow deemed okay by "the powers that be".

I could cite hundreds of other examples, but we should really get back to pennants. Sorry for the diversion.

Welcome to the new America. Hypocrisy and double standards under the guise of equality. Oh and here's a pennant...

ooo-ribay 03-08-2021 06:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Doug's Brooklyn Dodgers looks kind of my Mays photo pennant after I dyed it...color coming through the cracks in the paint. Hard to tell from my picture and mine isn't as "bad."

perezfan 03-08-2021 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bocca001 (Post 2078452)
Giants version

There is also a Yankees version (which I do not have....)

Domer05 03-08-2021 08:15 PM

AMCO Athletic Apparel Corp., Brooklyn, NY

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Interesting pennants Doug, Marc, and Mike. I've had this convo off-line with some of you; but, for everyone's sake: I'll share what I know about the maker of these pennants....

First off, take note of the artwork featuring this right-handed batter. You've just seen three examples of it. It was used on many pennants from the 1940s. Many were made for the three New York teams; but, I've seen him on some Red Sox and Cubs pennants, even an L.A. Angels PCL pennant, so there's likely many more out there.

The Lion's share of these pennants to feature this artwork, however, were Brooklyn Dodger pennants, such as Doug's. So I began looking at these in closer detail, hoping to identify this mystery maker. And then I saw this classic pennant (attached below), and discovered the tiniest of subscripts written beneath the batter.

It reads, "OFF. LIC. AMCO, N.Y."

I'm still researching this company, but I have uncovered publications listing them to be a (small?) manufacturer of pennants as of 1946, when they were listed as AMCO Athletic Apparel Corp. of Brooklyn, NY. In addition to pennants, the company also manufactured athletic uniforms--many of which come up for sale on eBay regularly because they routinely feature clear, distinctive AMCO labeling.

Anyway, I hope to post a story on AMCO in the near future on one or both of my BLOGs; but, since this company has come into relevance, I thought I might give you all a preview of coming attractions.

In meantime, let's keep an eye out for more pennants with the AMCO batter. In addition to this distinctive batter/artwork, their pennants measure about 23" in length; have two pairs of tassels; and are monochrome.

ooo-ribay 03-08-2021 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Domer05 (Post 2078634)
Interesting pennants Doug, Marc, and Mike. I've had this convo off-line with some of you; but, for everyone's sake: I'll share what I know about the maker of these pennants....

First off, take note of the artwork featuring this right-handed batter. You've just seen three examples of it. It was used on many pennants from the 1940s. Many were made for the three New York teams; but, I've seen him on some Red Sox and Cubs pennants, even an L.A. Angels PCL pennant, so there's likely many more out there.

The Lion's share of these pennants to feature this artwork, however, were Brooklyn Dodger pennants, such as Doug's. So I began looking at these in closer detail, hoping to identify this mystery maker. And then I saw this classic pennant (attached below), and discovered the tiniest of subscripts written beneath the batter.

It reads, "OFF. LIC. AMCO, N.Y."

I'm still researching this company, but I have uncovered publications listing them to be a (small?) manufacturer of pennants as of 1946, when they were listed as AMCO Athletic Apparel Corp. of Brooklyn, NY. In addition to pennants, the company also manufactured athletic uniforms--many of which come up for sale on eBay regularly because they routinely feature clear, distinctive AMCO labeling.

Anyway, I hope to post a story on AMCO in the near future on one or both of my BLOGs; but, since this company has come into relevance, I thought I might give you all a preview of coming attractions.

In meantime, let's keep an eye out for more pennants with the AMCO batter. In addition to this distinctive batter/artwork, their pennants measure about 23" in length; have two pairs of tassels; and are monochrome.

Bocca’s has a way skinny spine,,,,

bocca001 03-09-2021 07:13 AM

Yeah, and the tassels are different thicknesses too.

I got this one from Erik a few years ago, and, if I recall correctly, he purchased it from someone who was selling it with a program (from 1943 or 1944) that was said to have been purchased at the same game. I know that was a time in our country when there were concerted efforts to make sure that nothing went to waste (including odd sized pieces of fabric).

Bumpus Jones 03-09-2021 10:05 AM

1942? Reds World Champions Oversized Pennant

4 Attachment(s)
Here's one for you guys to kick around...

ooo-ribay 03-09-2021 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bumpus Jones (Post 2078817)

Damn! That’s gorgeous! Do you think it’s vintage? I only ask because the condition is spectacular.

Bumpus Jones 03-09-2021 12:55 PM

Definitely vintage Rob. Among other things it has the tell tale swiss cheese around the border area and in the red part as well;)

Fballguy 03-09-2021 01:10 PM

I would say so...Lowe & Campbell ceased to exist in 1961 when they were completely absorbed into Wilson Sporting Goods (though acquired by Wilson in 1931).

Just wanted to scoop Domer once. ;)

Fballguy 03-09-2021 01:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Kyle probably has this on his bookshelf. :)

perezfan 03-09-2021 02:23 PM

Beautiful Chris!

Is that a new acquisition, or one you already had?

Either way, it's fantastic.

thetahat 03-09-2021 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bumpus Jones (Post 2078817)

VERY VERY cool! Great pickup Chris. So I wondered, what, were the Reds a contender in ‘42? Turns out they finished 4th at exactly .500!

thetahat 03-09-2021 03:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here’s one

thetahat 03-09-2021 03:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here’s a mini with the batter ... I have almost a full set, it includes the Boston Bees so it dates to the late 30s.

Bumpus Jones 03-09-2021 03:24 PM

Thanks, fellas. It's one I've had in the ol' pennant chest for a while and I was moving some stuff around today and thought I'd post it.

UKCardGuy 03-09-2021 03:48 PM

Chris that's a great pennant.

I'm still on the lookout for product catalogs like Rob's. Fantastic stuff.

Domer05 03-09-2021 09:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fballguy (Post 2078878)
Kyle probably has this on his bookshelf. :)

Haha, you all think you're so smart ... but I'm much more familiar with the '39 edition ;)

Rob, nice work. I hereby transfer my "super sleuth" crown your way. Use it wisely, now.

UKCardGuy 03-13-2021 07:07 PM

How do you store your pennants?

I know the obvious answer is on the wall. But when there's more pennants than wall space, other options are required.

I have a number of pennants in toploaders laying flat under a chair. It's not the most elegant solution. I'm curious how you're storing your pennants.

ooo-ribay 03-14-2021 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UKCardGuy (Post 2080611)
I know the obvious answer is on the wall. But when there's more pennants than wall space, other options are required.

I have a number of pennants in toploaders laying flat under a chair. It's not the most elegant solution. I'm curious how you're storing your pennants.

It’s about as “elegant” as my method (which is basically the same). :D

perezfan 03-14-2021 03:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Just had a pennant epiphany (albeit a minor one...)

These two blue pennants are from the same mystery maker. Anybody (Kyle) want to speculate as to who made them?

Hankphenom 03-14-2021 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fballguy (Post 2078538)
Welcome to the new America. Hypocrisy and double standards under the guise of equality. Oh and here's a pennant...

Hey, fellas, I'm a political junkie, and I'd love to engage you and anybody else on any of it some time, but I come here to get away from that stuff for a little while. I thought that was the deal with Net54, no?

Duluth Eskimo 03-14-2021 05:26 PM

So just let it go as everyone else did.

In regards to the pennant Mark, I’ve had a number of those AAFC series pennants over the years, but I don’t remember any of them having a makers mark on the reverse. Obviously the same maker, but I don’t remember any markings on the baseball ones either. Good observation though.

Hankphenom 03-14-2021 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo (Post 2081015)
So just let it go as everyone else did.

Not my style. Not hardly.

bocca001 03-14-2021 06:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

I use these clear acrylic bookshelves (from Amazon). Not the best pics, but the only ones I have handy. I can get 10-12 pennants on the shelf and then rotate which pennant is in front. I think I have four of them right now and will probably get a few more. It works as a display/storage combo for me.

ooo-ribay 03-14-2021 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hankphenom (Post 2081040)
Not my style. Not hardly.

It's in the "rules," Hank. :cool:

Fballguy 03-14-2021 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bocca001 (Post 2081042)
I use these clear acrylic bookshelves (from Amazon). Not the best pics, but the only ones I have handy. I can get 10-12 pennants on the shelf and then rotate which pennant is in front. I think I have four of them right now and will probably get a few more. It works as a display/storage combo for me.

That's a really great idea Marc. Looking good!

Rob

UKCardGuy 03-14-2021 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fballguy (Post 2081057)
That's a really great idea Marc. Looking good!

Rob

Ditto. Great idea - combined storage and display. Thanks.

Domer05 03-14-2021 08:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 2080954)
Just had a pennant epiphany (albeit a minor one...)

These two blue pennants are from the same mystery maker. Anybody (Kyle) want to speculate as to who made them?

Mark: Actually, I think all three of those of you pictured are by the same maker: AMCO Athletic Apparel Corp., of Brooklyn, NY.

Perhaps this one below seals the deal: it's the AMCO batter + same "N.Y. YANKEES" script as seen on the others.

...And if we have consensus that all four are by AMCO, then that means we now have an "AMCO quarterback" to complement our previously identified "AMCO batter" (with bat below the crown of his cap); and we now have a "2d AMCO batter" with a raised bat above the crown of his cap.

Good observation, Mark!

Hankphenom 03-14-2021 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 2081053)
It's in the "rules," Hank. :cool:

Political posts are OK, but taking exception to them is not? Is that a rule, Rob?

rlevy 03-14-2021 10:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bocca001 (Post 2081042)

Marc, I do the same for my pennants. But I also take an extra shelf and cut it into 6" lengths, then use one on the top to stop the pennants from falling out. I only use one screw for the top one so I can flip it out of the way to get to the pennants.

Attachment 446355

perezfan 03-14-2021 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlevy (Post 2081156)
Marc, I do the same for my pennants. But I also take an extra shelf and cut it into 6" lengths, then use one on the top to stop the pennants from falling out. I only use one screw for the top one so I can flip it out of the way to get to the pennants.

Attachment 446355

Very clean/sharp looking display, Rick...

Functional, innovative and very attractive!

perezfan 03-15-2021 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Domer05 (Post 2081135)
Mark: Actually, I think all three of those of you pictured are by the same maker: AMCO Athletic Apparel Corp., of Brooklyn, NY.

Perhaps this one below seals the deal: it's the AMCO batter + same "N.Y. YANKEES" script as seen on the others.

...And if we have consensus that all four are by AMCO, then that means we now have an "AMCO quarterback" to complement our previously identified "AMCO batter" (with bat below the crown of his cap); and we now have a "2d AMCO batter" with a raised bat above the crown of his cap.

Good observation, Mark!

Thanks Kyle...

So my assumption would be that this White Sox Pennant is also AMCO, and that we have a new/slightly different Batter to add to the list?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1950s-Chica...sAAOSwPW9esNwt

ooo-ribay 03-15-2021 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hankphenom (Post 2081152)
Political posts are OK, but taking exception to them is not? Is that a rule, Rob?

I kinda meant it tongue in cheek, Hank, but I'm pretty sure the moderator discourages politics or religion....which is probably a good idea.

UKCardGuy 03-15-2021 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 2052473)
Nice work! Especially for a first attempt.

Definitely improved the appearance. One thing I have noticed (from the few times I've used bleach) is that it can "thin" the felt. It can break down the fibers and compromise the felt, with varying degrees of severity. Sometimes it's not even noticeable, but other times it's a definite bummer.

So if you do attempt the Yankees, please let us see the "after" photos, and let us know how it came out. Taping it vertically to the shower wall and prompt rinsing is definitely the way to go.

Well it turns out that my Yankees pennant was lost in transit. I got my money back but I'm still a bit bummed. I was looking forward to another bleaching attempt. Hey ho.

bocca001 03-15-2021 08:30 AM

[QUOTE=rlevy;2081156]Marc, I do the same for my pennants. But I also take an extra shelf and cut it into 6" lengths, then use one on the top to stop the pennants from falling out. I only use one screw for the top one so I can flip it out of the way to get to the pennants.

Those look really good, Rick. It looks like the ones I have been using are longer. I have some room at the end of the shelves to display other items (e.g., cards, buttons, other random stuff). I like how tidy yours look.

rlevy 03-15-2021 01:34 PM

Thanks Mark and Marc. They do work well for about 10 pennants in rigid cases. I wish I could say I was smart enough to have bought these acrylic shelves for this purpose, but I actually bought them for another purpose that didn't work out. With my available wall space gradually disappearing they became one of my better mistakes, although I do think Marc's shelves may be better since you can display some other items with the pennants.

Hankphenom 03-15-2021 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 2081219)
I kinda meant it tongue in cheek, Hank, but I'm pretty sure the moderator discourages politics or religion....which is probably a good idea.

A VERY good idea! Thanks, Rob.

Domer05 03-15-2021 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 2081171)
Thanks Kyle...

So my assumption would be that this White Sox Pennant is also AMCO, and that we have a new/slightly different Batter to add to the list?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1950s-Chica...sAAOSwPW9esNwt

Could be! I can't say I recognize this particular batter graphic....

That said, many of the AMCO pennants from the late 1940s, I've noticed, are around 23" in length. Trench was also heavily into the 3/4 size during this same time; however, their 3/4 pennants measured more like 26" in length. As this one measures 26" in length, I don't think we can exclude it as being by Trench.

ooo-ribay 03-15-2021 06:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

x

UKCardGuy 03-15-2021 06:56 PM

That's pretty neat Rob. I'm trying to work out how it works. Have you fixed grommets through the holders or attached hooks to them so they hang on the cables?