Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   1989 Fleer Randy Johnson #381 Marlboro Errors - 30 Years Later (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=263992)

Hatorade 04-15-2024 09:39 PM

That is a medium to dark fish with red circle. When the fish with red circle lineage gets towards the middle to darker end of the spectrum they all have that same dot towards the head of the fish. I’ve included the link from post #75 below. The last 13 or so cards in the album all have the same dot and range in the amount of green tint over them. It’s tough to tell exactly but the card you posted appears to be more toward the darkest or most tinted.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rjmarl...57675341931257

steve5838 04-16-2024 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hatorade (Post 2427022)
That is a medium to dark fish with red circle. When the fish with red circle lineage gets towards the middle to darker end of the spectrum they all have that same dot towards the head of the fish. I’ve included the link from post #75 below. The last 13 or so cards in the album all have the same dot and range in the amount of green tint over them. It’s tough to tell exactly but the card you posted appears to be more toward the darkest or most tinted.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rjmarl...57675341931257

This is very helpful. I really like the progression/ordering of images in your album. Thank you!

bnorth 05-06-2024 12:13 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Got another amazing Randy in the mail today. It is another beyond silly rare blue version. I believe this is the 4th one of this version that has been found.

EDIT: To update the information. It is the darker of the 2 blue stencil versions.

steve5838 05-06-2024 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 2431761)
Got another amazing Randy in the mail today. It is another beyond silly rare blue version. I believe this is the 4th one of this version that has been found.

That is a beautiful card Ben. Congratulations!

bnorth 05-07-2024 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve5838 (Post 2431901)
That is a beautiful card Ben. Congratulations!

Thank you, I am very happy about finding it. Now if I just had my eyesight from 10 years ago back. I am still not 100% sure if it is the lighter or darker version.

It is nice and sunny today so I should be able to get better pics. Plus sunlight helps me a lot in seeing the sign area.

On a side note finding silly rare cards has always been a huge part of the hobby for me. I am always like a kid in a candy store when I find cards like this.:D

Hatorade 05-07-2024 09:44 PM

That’s unreal Ben! How do you keep coming up with these? That’s 2 in the last couple months and finding any of the blues is like finding a needle in a haystack!

bnorth 05-08-2024 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hatorade (Post 2432424)
That’s unreal Ben! How do you keep coming up with these? That’s 2 in the last couple months and finding any of the blues is like finding a needle in a haystack!

There are very few people that look at more cards per day than I do. Before these 2 blues it had been close to a year since my last find of a silly rare card. Amazingly I think I might have found another blue and can't wait for it to arrive.:D

philliesfan 05-10-2024 03:19 PM

I never pulled any Johnson variation but always wanted to.
I still buy packs here and there for the fun of it but no luck.

bnorth 05-15-2024 11:34 AM

3 Attachment(s)
WOW has mail been slow for me lately. Well except one that arrived in 2 days but the small flat rate box was seriously beat to heck.

Anyway my new Randy Johnson card(on left side) arrived today. Of course it is cloudy/rainy out so I can't see it well or get a decent picture.

I have to get with a couple other collectors and see if any have seen this version before. It looks exactly like the more common red stencil version just without the red. There is some red on the new card but just on the extreme edge of the sign with none in the middle. In hand and under magnification I can see the blue appears to be exactly the same as the very small amount of blue on the way more common red stencil cards. This card also has the little red squiggle thing by FLEER.

bnorth 05-15-2024 01:05 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I took my red phone case off and got a little better pictures of my new card compared to the regular red stencil version.

jacksoncoupage 05-17-2024 10:54 AM

I believe its safe to say that these cards have officially reached a broad, widely-known level of popularity and pricing closer to their values.

Sales for obscured but visible "Marlboro" versions are hitting new highs consistently. Some a bit shocking. Other further obscured (green tints, black scribble, etc) are as well. Even occasional "box" version sales have been higher than usual.

It seems like the only deals to be found over the last few months are the product of being the first to hit a BIN before anyone else sees it. Also worth noting is how, as far as ebay listings go, we've entered an era of incorrect descriptors are leading to higher sales. Lots of listings with titles like "very clear" "clearly visible sign" etc.

I feel bad (just slightly) for selling my big collection of them last year when there were so many fantastic examples of "early tint" variations in the lot and while I have been casually rebuilding another collection since selling, this new market has slowed that down dramatically.

jacksoncoupage 05-17-2024 07:17 PM

I should also add how fun it is to constantly have my bids cancelled on 1989 Fleer Randy Johnson cards. Such fun hunting this stuff down!

Ltlbvr 05-18-2024 02:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 621945

Recent pick up. Most of the racks and cellos I've seen have fully corrected versions on front. Fun addition.

bnorth 05-18-2024 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ltlbvr (Post 2435361)
Attachment 621945

Recent pick up. Most of the racks and cellos I've seen have fully corrected versions on front. Fun addition.

Very nice. One of the few 89 Fleer things I have never collected. I don't have what it takes to not rip it open.:)

Hatorade 05-18-2024 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ltlbvr (Post 2435361)
Attachment 621945

With the racks and cellos coming after wax production started the Johnson variations were only in them for a very short amount of time. Nice double error on top of the pack with the Romine error too!