Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   October Pickups (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=245613)

ooo-ribay 10-14-2017 04:11 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Based on the date coding, this is definitely a 1958 Zippo....which is good because '58 was the Giants' first year in SF :)

But Willie didn't sign his name like that in 1958, so it must have been engraved later :(

Scott Garner 10-16-2017 01:44 PM

Nap Rucker circa 1914- 1916 Brooklyn Robins snapshot

1 Attachment(s)
Many thanks to Gary Scamehorn for allowing me to add this circa 1914- 1916 snapper of Brooklyn Robins great left handed no-hit pitcher Nap Rucker. Dimensions 3.5" x 5.5"

prewarsports 10-16-2017 10:11 PM

I was just stating that the general consensus now is that these are likely from the 1940's (with some earlier and some a little later). However, nobody (literally nobody) can tell the difference between 1937 paper and 1944 paper. So without stamps and other evidence we will never know for sure. I think personally they were issued over a period of time so they could very well be examples that date to the late 1930's, but clearly some were issued a bit later. I doubt we will ever know for sure but they are clear, old and really nice examples for sure! Some have a more sepia tone and are clearly earlier. When we first started selling these we listed the ones with a clearly older "feel" as vintage 1 and the others as vintage 2. To be safe we now just call them all vintage 2. I doubt a definitive answer will ever come to the surface but we can hope. We all learn as we go and I learn new stuff everyday about vintage photos and photographers.

I think they were issued over a period of time, starting in the 1930's and ending in the 1950's.

Lordstan 10-16-2017 10:37 PM

Thanks for that explanation. I appreciate the insight and it does confirm what I thought about them as well

Scott Garner 10-17-2017 01:07 PM

Charlie "Many Hit" Robertson playing day signed cut

It seems like I continue to pick up unusual Charlie Robertson related items in 2017.
Many thanks to net54's Jeff Potter for selling me this unusual playing day autograph cut of CWS perfect game pitcher Charlie Robertson. ;)
Charlie was obviously having some fun when he signed this ledger or team sheet most likely sometime between 1922-1928. Instead of Charlie, he instead signed it "Many Hit" Robertson, which is an obvious wink that prior to signing it he hurled a no-hit, no-run game that was the first game to ever be called a "perfect game" by the newspaper scribes the next day.

Scott Garner 10-17-2017 04:10 PM

Post moved to autograph section

ooo-ribay 10-18-2017 08:41 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I put together a "little" display of ephemera I got with the Loraine Day banner I picked up earlier this month. Included in the display is a scan of an invitation to a dinner party hosted by Leo Durocher and Loraine. The invitation is notarized by Ima Rooter, Killy Umpire, Trow D. Bumout and Sek N. Gesser :p I have no idea where I'll display the display. :cool:

Dave Grob 10-18-2017 10:39 AM

Gints

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 1711382)
I put together a "little" display of ephemera I got with the Loraine Day banner I picked up earlier this month. Included in the display is a scan of an invitation to a dinner party hosted by Leo Durocher and Loraine. The invitation is notarized by Ima Rooter, Killy Umpire, Trow D. Bumout and Sek N. Gesser :p I have no idea where I'll display the display. :cool:

I know where to display the display...;)

Dave Grob

Mark70Z 10-18-2017 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 1711382)

You need to either get a bigger room or start the overflow into another room. I guess you can go full hoarder and start stacking on the ground to ceiling...😳

slidekellyslide 10-19-2017 02:18 PM

11 Attachment(s)
I just picked up a large group of memorabilia from the estate of Robin Reed (google him, he may be the greatest amateur wrestler who ever lived). Included in the lot were his 1924 Olympics badge and belt buckle, framed photos of the Olympic team, a menu from the Olympics signed by everyone who was at his table, a large poster publicizing a world champion match against Jack Reynolds and a scrapbook filled with good stuff.