Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What single card do you think will increase in value the most in 10 years (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=328942)

vintagerookies51 02-29-2024 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss (Post 2416022)
Fun (re)read. Thanks for bumping.

The one card/player I don’t see mentioned anywhere in this thread, but whose stuff seems to have really jumped in the last year, is Joe Jackson. His M101-4/5s have gone to the moon, as has his Cracker Jacks and E90-1s. No comps on this baby though….

Agreed, I think Joe Jackson is being slept on. Another iconic card of his that I think of is the W514. It's tough to price since it's a strip card that doesn't seem to appeal to as many collectors, but it being associated with the year of the Black Sox Scandal makes it historically intriguing I think. I could be biased because I own one though.

ullmandds 02-29-2024 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagerookies51 (Post 2416206)
Agreed, I think Joe Jackson is being slept on. Another iconic card of his that I think of is the W514. It's tough to price since it's a strip card that doesn't seem to appeal to as many collectors, but it being associated with the year of the Black Sox Scandal makes it historically intriguing I think. I could be biased because I own one though.

slept on???? are JJ cards not some of the most expensive and desired in the hobby?

vintagerookies51 02-29-2024 10:14 AM

Jackie Robinson and Babe Ruth in my opinion have the biggest long-term upside. These two are the only ones I would say transcend the sport of baseball. These are the names kids learn in history class. I think most collectors here wildly overestimate how many average people could even tell you who Mickey Mantle and Willie Mays were, let alone recognize their 1952 Topps card. I think those HOFs will always have a solid market regardless if people are still alive that have seen them play, just like Cobb, Gehrig, etc. but Ruth and Jackie will always be king in my opinion.

vintagerookies51 02-29-2024 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 2416207)
slept on???? are JJ cards not some of the most expensive and desired in the hobby?

I meant in terms of this thread and how no one has said his name.

ullmandds 02-29-2024 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagerookies51 (Post 2416213)
I meant in terms of this thread and how no one has said his name.

thats cuz noone can afford them!!!!

brunswickreeves 02-29-2024 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagerookies51 (Post 2416211)
Jackie Robinson and Babe Ruth in my opinion have the biggest long-term upside. These two are the only ones I would say transcend the sport of baseball. These are the names kids learn in history class. I think most collectors here wildly overestimate how many average people could even tell you who Mickey Mantle and Willie Mays were, let alone recognize their 1952 Topps card. I think those HOFs will always have a solid market regardless if people are still alive that have seen them play, just like Cobb, Gehrig, etc. but Ruth and Jackie will always be king in my opinion.

I offer up two 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle reference exhibits for consideration :)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BjcNRU...eSBtYW50bGU%3D

https://m.youtube.com/shorts/oVCCa9bAgEk

packs 02-29-2024 10:35 AM

One guy whose prices have steadily been on the rise and hasn’t been mentioned is Jack Glasscock. I know there’s speculation on him eventually getting into the Hall and it seems like his prices are rising with the tide.

Yoda 02-29-2024 12:15 PM

Thanks to REA and Rob Lifson, the Dietsche PC seems to be the generally accepted RC of Tyrus. For many years, the E102 Cobb seemed to reign, simply because it was standard size for cards of the time. Perhaps it will see a resurgence.

Also, the Berk Ross Jackie is a beautiful card of him and has been getting some play of late. % wise, it could see solid growth as it is "discovered" by collectors.

LincolnVT 02-29-2024 02:18 PM

Jackie

I guess I would agree with the many people who have suggested Jackie Robinson cards. I think his earliest higher grade (7-9) cards will be the most explosive in the next 10 years.

jetsetr1 03-03-2024 08:31 PM

Would also say Jackie Robinson - Leaf, Swell, Bowman. The Swell explode over the last 1-2 year still a very low pop.

The real answer is probably the cards that are already in the untouchable stratosphere of most: High grades of any blue chip players

Casey2296 03-03-2024 08:54 PM

Ty Cobb will outpace Jackie Robinson imho.

calvindog 03-03-2024 09:15 PM

Robinson’s 1948/49 Leaf and Bowman cards have already come down quite a bit from their peaks.

packs 03-04-2024 07:32 AM

That may be because the cards are settling or it may be because of the newfound preference of the Bond Bread, which is the card that many posters have pegged for the largest increase.

Leon 03-12-2024 06:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I watch Goudey Ruths, and overall, they seem down a little to me. (as stated above too :))
The very best of a given grade still goes well though.... I suspect the best Robinson's hold their value than more ordinary ones, as all great looking cards do. We all want the best!

As for what is going to go up the most; whatever I am not collecting.

I am not sure I could get what I paid for this 3-4 years back, but I don't care!

Quote:

Originally Posted by calvindog (Post 2417119)
Robinson’s 1948/49 Leaf and Bowman cards have already come down quite a bit from their peaks.