Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   OT but front page worthy Jordan card ebay (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=265660)

rdixon1208 02-28-2019 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1858784)
My sense is that at the very high end, for cards like these, it's the internet/social media equivalent of a pissing context among guys with huge amounts of disposable income. And it only takes two guys who want to win the pissing contest to drive the price to numbers that look nuts to the rest of us. I'm not sure these guys see these purchases as investments per se. I think a lot of it is ego gratification. Just speculating.

I think this same thing about most collectibles when the money reaches a certain amount. When someone posts a group of cards in the monthly pick-up thread that cost thousands of dollars each and the reply's are "Wow", "Amazing", "Unbelievable" blah blah...I usually just think "Expensive". But isn't the fact that they cost a lot of money what makes certain collectibles "better" than others to most of us?

Peter_Spaeth 02-28-2019 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 1858873)
So I must conclude that neither bidder has prostate issues.:eek:

No dribblers in the elite Jordan market.

Peter_Spaeth 02-28-2019 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdixon1208 (Post 1858878)
I think this same thing about most collectibles when the money reaches a certain amount. When someone posts a group of cards in the monthly pick-up thread that cost thousands of dollars each and the reply's are "Wow", "Amazing", "Unbelievable" blah blah...I usually just think "Expensive". But isn't the fact that they cost a lot of money what makes certain collectibles "better" than others to most of us?

I think that's true to an extent but on the other hand some of my favorite cards (mostly non-sports) even though very hard to find cost next to nothing.

jchcollins 02-28-2019 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdixon1208 (Post 1858878)
But isn't the fact that they cost a lot of money what makes certain collectibles "better" than others to most of us?

I go for fulfilling to me personally, not necessarily "better" than something someone else has or than what exists in my collection prior-to. But yeah, no matter how you slice it, money helps. If I had that kind of disposeable income to be throwing at cards, I sure wouldn't be buying something that was made in the 1990's or later. But each unto their own...

Paul S 02-28-2019 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1858879)
No dribblers in the elite Jordan market.

In Jordan We Truss

barrysloate 02-28-2019 02:10 PM

Since I know virtually nothing about these super expensive modern cards, I have a question for those who do. If you buy one of these six-figure mega-cards today, and hold it for a few years before reselling it, do you generally make money or lose money?

Aquarian Sports Cards 02-28-2019 03:31 PM

Just like poker players Barry, a few guys only break even but nobody actually loses money, just ask them.

barrysloate 02-28-2019 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 1858960)
Just like poker players Barry, a few guys only break even but nobody actually loses money, just ask them.

I know Scott. I've yet to meet someone who bought a stock that went down.:)

darwinbulldog 02-28-2019 04:59 PM

Time was, the Tip Top Boy mascot went for the same price as a '52 Topps Mantle. They can't all be winners.

Leon 03-03-2019 08:37 AM

Me too., Give me a Wooth wookie! (right Joe T?)! The newer collectors can have their shiny stuff. It's all good....

Quote:

Originally Posted by jchcollins (Post 1858887)
I go for fulfilling to me personally, not necessarily "better" than something someone else has or than what exists in my collection prior-to. But yeah, no matter how you slice it, money helps. If I had that kind of disposeable income to be throwing at cards, I sure wouldn't be buying something that was made in the 1990's or later. But each unto their own...