Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Any One Collect Pins? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=166056)

jimm 09-17-2018 04:41 PM

Very nice

MK 10-04-2018 08:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have collected pins for many years and would have to say my favorite is the “crossed bats” design. Apparently no one knows who manufactured them, but they were readily available at ballparks in the 1940s through at least the early 1970s. Originally they were all 1.25 inches in diameter, then a larger 1.75 inch version came along. It is impossible to compile a complete checklist of these pins and there are variations of certain ones making that task even more difficult. When I say “crossed bats” I am including those which lack the bats, but instead have a team mascot or symbol, or a significant event such as World Champ in its place. One of the things that make these pins so special is how they covered all of baseball. In addition to major league teams, they also offered minor league and Negro League teams. This of course adds to the challenge of finding them all. For me, there is nothing better than finding one of these pins that I have never seen before. While many of these pins are very common, some are incredibly scarce. Here are some which I have found to be very difficult to find. The Los Angeles Dodgers NL Champs pin is extremely common in blue, but almost impossible to find in red. Maybe Dodger fans were turned off since it wasn’t Dodger blue. I would love to see some other tough versions of these pins by you pin collectors out there. I would really love to see one I have never seen before.

ooo-ribay 10-07-2018 05:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MK (Post 1817438)
I have collected pins for many years and would have to say my favorite is the “crossed bats” design. Apparently no one knows who manufactured them, but they were readily available at ballparks in the 1940s through at least the early 1970s. Originally they were all 1.25 inches in diameter, then a larger 1.75 inch version came along. It is impossible to compile a complete checklist of these pins and there are variations of certain ones making that task even more difficult. When I say “crossed bats” I am including those which lack the bats, but instead have a team mascot or symbol, or a significant event such as World Champ in its place. One of the things that make these pins so special is how they covered all of baseball. In addition to major league teams, they also offered minor league and Negro League teams. This of course adds to the challenge of finding them all. For me, there is nothing better than finding one of these pins that I have never seen before. While many of these pins are very common, some are incredibly scarce. Here are some which I have found to be very difficult to find. The Los Angeles Dodgers NL Champs pin is extremely common in blue, but almost impossible to find in red. Maybe Dodger fans were turned off since it wasn’t Dodger blue. I would love to see some other tough versions of these pins by you pin collectors out there. I would really love to see one I have never seen before.

Here are mine. I don't think any are super tough but some are certainly more abundant than others. Since this picture was take, I have added a 1.25" orange with black border.

ooo-ribay 10-07-2018 05:38 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I just picked up this pin in the Hake's auction. The green and yellow colors threw me but Paul Muchinsky considered it a SF Giants pin and, as you can see, there were quite a few Giants "Go Go" pins.

Scott Garner 10-09-2018 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 1818019)
I just picked up this pin in the Hake's auction. The green and yellow colors threw me but Paul Muchinsky considered it a SF Giants pin and, as you can see, there were quite a few Giants "Go Go" pins.

Very nice, Rob!

MK 10-09-2018 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 1818019)

But you have to ask yourself why the San Francisco Giants would make a pin with the Oakland Athletics colors? Much more likely it is a high school or college with the mascot Giants.

ooo-ribay 10-09-2018 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MK (Post 1818499)
But you have to ask yourself why the San Francisco Giants would make a pin with the Oakland Athletics colors? Much more likely it is a high school or college with the mascot Giants.

Sure, go ahead and rain on my parade. :p

For what it's worth, the font is identical to the orange and white pin in the lower left.

batsballsbases 10-09-2018 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 1818507)
Sure, go ahead and rain on my parade. :p

For what it's worth, the font is identical to the orange and white pin in the lower left.

I tend to agree with Mike as the font really means nothing as pin makers used the same font for college,high school, and football pins.(cost measure) You also cant go by what Paul says as gospel as Paul and I have had many a conversation about some of the pins in his book ( which he was wrong about) Paul I believe wanted to believe these were made for pro teams but truth be told that wasnt the case as people suckered Paul into buying pins that really were not for the pro teams.

ooo-ribay 10-09-2018 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batsballsbases (Post 1818547)
I tend to agree with Mike as the font really means nothing as pin makers used the same font for college,high school, and football pins.(cost measure) You also cant go by what Paul says as gospel as Paul and I have had many a conversation about some of the pins in his book ( which he was wrong about) Paul I believe wanted to believe these were made for pro teams but truth be told that wasnt the case as people suckered Paul into buying pins that really were not for the pro teams.

I know, I know.....

That said, the last batch of Paul’s Giants pins at Hake’s got absolutely stupid prices....don’t know who bought them....this time around, they went cheap.

batsballsbases 10-09-2018 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 1818578)
I know, I know.....

That said, the last batch of Paul’s Giants pins at Hake’s got absolutely stupid prices....don’t know who bought them....this time around, they went cheap.

You are correct about that, this time some of the pins were under valued... Hats off to who ever bought some of them...;)