Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Buyer Beware: CMIZ5290 board member (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=291446)

steve B 11-10-2020 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huysmans (Post 2033585)
Best post I've read in this thread.
But let's not be too harsh... most of the gentleman who pile on in these posts probably don't realize that they're senile old dinosaurs.... or maybe they can't remember?? :D

And yet we still answer your questions....

Old dinosaurs don't get lattes with special sprinkles.

We get coffee flavored coffee.

Latte with sprinkles is a millennial thing.

bnorth 11-10-2020 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve B (Post 2033655)
And yet we still answer your questions....

Old dinosaurs don't get lattes with special sprinkles.

We get coffee flavored coffee.

Latte with sprinkles is a millennial thing.

Well that sucks, I am old and I love the sprinkles, my wife does tease me about them though.:)

bnorth 11-10-2020 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by todeen (Post 2033646)
I buy low grade vintage cards as well. That's what's in my budget. I just know from a couple other cards I purchased in the past that didn't turn out as described by the seller, that the feeling of being duped or swindled takes the luster and excitement away from the card, and I just don't enjoy it as I originally thought I would. It's still the same card I saw in June, I just feel differently about it.

I had pretty much the same exact thing happen to me a couple years ago. Also from a fellow member but a more expensive card.

I fricken hated the card at first. After some time I realized it was still a good deal for the card. Then weirdly it became one of my favorite cards.

Exhibitman 11-10-2020 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wid_Conroy (Post 2033608)
"I guarantee the card to be authentic, and will grade"

In our hobby, this unequivocally means the card will receive a number grade. I have little patience for people who twist words, pretend they mean something else and then attempt to make you feel stupid.

There are plenty of sellers who will take cards back no questions asked, where we don't need silly little protections, platitudes, and meaningless guarantees.

And there are buyers who will find those sellers and send them $1000s via PPFF for the cards they want. and not think twice.

+1

The guarantee said it all IMO. No encapsulation and returned with an ALT is a refusal to grade. Case closed.

Good lesson for all of us: regardless of who might prevail in a court case, as peers and members of this community (and sometimes even friends) there should be a higher degree of consideration for one another than the bare-knuckles outcome of law or caveat emptor.

And FWIW, I am a proud card-carrying member of the lowest grade card collectors of America:

https://photos.imageevent.com/exhibi...20Robinson.JPG

ALR-bishop 11-10-2020 01:18 PM

Adam--you should check out the 53 Mantle in the gem thread. It looks like a good fit

Throttlesteer 11-10-2020 01:22 PM

For every one of these, there are hundreds of positive transactions on BST. I've had nothing but great, well-communicated deals on here.

todeen 11-10-2020 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 2033676)
I had pretty much the same exact thing happen to me a couple years ago. Also from a fellow member but a more expensive card.

I fricken hated the card at first. After some time I realized it was still a good deal for the card. Then weirdly it became one of my favorite cards.

The first card I bought I couldn't look at without getting angry. I overpaid on a 61T lot for a 1961 Mantle 300, but I needed it for the set. Big crease down the middle not disclosed, and it didn't show up on photos. I eventually sold it. The second card I bought I still own, same thing as you, my feelings changed about it over time.

todeen 11-10-2020 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Throttlesteer (Post 2033706)
For every one of these, there are hundreds of positive transactions on BST. I've had nothing but great, well-communicated deals on here.

+1 All my other deals on this site have been fantastic

Leon 11-10-2020 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by todeen (Post 2033710)
+1 All my other deals on this site have been fantastic

And that is the way we want to keep it. Our members are the best defense.

vintagebaseballcardguy 11-10-2020 02:31 PM

The BST here is one of my favorite places to purchase cards.

slantycouch 11-10-2020 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Throttlesteer (Post 2033706)

+1. And that's thanks to this community and Leon.

Aquarian Sports Cards 11-10-2020 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 2033676)

So now you're taking Kevin's side, sheesh make up your mind!:p

Aquarian Sports Cards 11-10-2020 03:32 PM

FTR I've never had a bad BST deal, sometimes I'm the jerk who's slow to pay because I lose track of things, but buying and selling both have been great experiences.

bnorth 11-10-2020 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 2033743)
So now you're taking Kevin's side, sheesh make up your mind!:p

LOL, I would never take Kevin's side. Just saying sometimes a bad deal isn't as bad as it seems at first.:eek:

Tabe 11-10-2020 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68Hawk (Post 2033565)

If Authentic is not a grade they are doing a great job of misdirection.

Wait, you want PSA to be consistent???? How long have you been collecting? :)

68Hawk 11-10-2020 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tabe (Post 2033758)
Wait, you want PSA to be consistent???? How long have you been collecting? :)

So true.
Only ever purchased PSA graded cards where I thought I was willing to take a flying leap on accurate grading with zero disappointment if it only garnered an Auth GRADE in an SGC or BGS holder. ;-)

Cliff Bowman 11-10-2020 07:25 PM

Mr. Mize is now banned from BlowOut.

Eric72 11-10-2020 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman (Post 2033862)
Mr. Mize is now banned from BlowOut.

My goodness. He appears to be alienating people (or burning bridges) rather quickly.

Johnny630 11-11-2020 07:28 AM

Can we stop beating this dead horse and move on.

BRoberts 11-11-2020 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny630 (Post 2033990)
Can we stop beating this dead horse and move on.

Actually, no. If we hold true to the Kevin Mize spirit, this thread should be bumped 50 times over the next 18 months, with no resolution achieved.

ullmandds 11-11-2020 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRoberts (Post 2034007)
Actually, no. If we hold true to the Kevin Mize spirit, this thread should be bumped 50 times over the next 18 months, with no resolution achieved.

this is true! In the spirit of Kevin's BST...this thread must live on!!!!

Leon 11-11-2020 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 2034017)
this is true! In the spirit of Kevin's BST...this thread must live on!!!!

While that is certainly true I have to agree with the poster above, the horse is unfortunately in horsey heaven. I wish Kevin all the best in his future endeavors.