Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Golden Era Hall of Fame Ballot announced (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=196189)

packs 12-08-2014 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1352405)
None of them deserved it either. ;)

Maybe. But the point I was trying to make was that these players, who the Veterans Committee voted in, never received a higher percentage of votes than Hodges received in his weakest year while on the active ballot. Yet they chose not to elect Hodges.

HRBAKER 12-08-2014 05:41 PM

It always engenders spirited discussion. I think they got it right.

insidethewrapper 12-08-2014 06:20 PM

Sounds like good news to me that no one was selected. The Hall has already let in too many . When I was growing up the names like Mantle, Aaron, Mays, Kaline, Snider ,Frank Robinson,etc. that's the HOF, not Boyer, Maz, Rizzuto, Oliva etc. Good players but not HOF. In baseball cards, these guys are just a step above the common bin.

turtleguy64 12-08-2014 06:30 PM

Yaz Compared To The Rejected Golden Era

Boston fans will very very upset but closely look at Yaz's career statistics.Go to baseball-reference.com if you need to bone up on this.Correct me if I'm wrong but don't you see two really outstanding seasons,2 above average seasons ,and the remainder mediocrity ? did Yaz get in due to longevity ? He got worse the more he played.Look it up.Didn't Oliva post better numbers in a shorter span ?Just as an example.Check it out.

turtleguy64 12-08-2014 06:35 PM

Did Yaz make 18 All Star appearances due to the fact that someone had to represent the Sox and Bill Monboquette wasn't always really good ? he played at a high level.....up to a certain point and the decline began in the '70s.

Scocs 12-08-2014 07:15 PM

What do these guys have against Dodger players? I just can't wrap my head around the fact that neither Gil Hodges nor Steve Garvey is in the Hall....

Tabe 12-09-2014 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scocs (Post 1352481)
What do these guys have against Dodger players? I just can't wrap my head around the fact that neither Gil Hodges nor Steve Garvey is in the Hall....

272 homers for Garvey and a career OPS+ of 117. He doesn't belong.

Tabe 12-09-2014 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turtleguy64 (Post 1352371)
why Oliva and T. John,Kaat have been kept out ...I don't get it.you vote for the dominant players of an era.

Jim Kaat wasn't a dominant player. Dominant players lead the league in something besides hits allowed. The guy had a career ERA of 3.45 and led the league in wins once. He's not even close to a HOFer.

glynparson 12-09-2014 03:13 AM

It is called the hall of fame after all

I think you need to go look up that word again, and then try and tell me how Steve Garvey does not belong in there. Dick Allen sure has some monster stats BTW if we are going to go the stat route, and many a contemporary article refers to Maury Wills as a future Hall Of Famer, he did after all bring speed back to baseball and ushered in the likes of Brock etc. For that alone I would put him in as well. I have of course already stated I am fairly lenient for the Hall. The criteria does not stipulate the absolute best of the best of the best like some act lke it does. There is plenty of room for the absolute best of the best (Ruth, Cobb, etc.), the compilers (Sutton, Yaz, Niekro), the great stories (Rizzuto, Tinker, Evers, Chance), and the guys at the right place at the right time (Mazeroski). The place does not have a finite nuber of spots and the idea is to tell the story of baseball and its history so I say the more the merrier, within reason of course.

turtleguy64 12-09-2014 03:59 AM

Look at the putrid teams Kaat had behind him.Lack of support on the field,no wonder he had to be a better than average fielder.Not exactly surrounded by greatest.Those Twin teams were built for power,not defense.

darwinbulldog 12-09-2014 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glynparson (Post 1352534)
I think you need to go look up that word [fame] again, and then try and tell me how Steve Garvey does not belong in there.

Do you seriously think they would have called it the Hall of the Best Baseball Players if that's what they had intended? I can assure you Darryl Strawberry is far more famous than Tris Speaker.