Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   OT: Two Incredible collapses in one night (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=142135)

Anthony S. 10-07-2011 03:16 PM

Prince isn't fat, he's big celled.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaddurbin (Post 930038)
we had the $100,000 infield with the philly a's...will we see a $100 million infield with the yankees?

don't worry yankees fans...if fat cc leaves and you got no pitching just throw 200mil at fat prince fielder and move the rf fence in another 50 feet. problem solved.

yanks12025 10-07-2011 03:22 PM

I wasnt wrong about everything. I said we would go top game 5 and we did.

But I think its funny how people are saying Mo will be a problem next year. The guy is 41 and posted a 1.91 ERA with 44 saves. I think those stats wont change too much next year. Jeter still batted in the .290's. With Posada gone, I'm not worried about age that much.

Also i guess you guys dont know that the Yankees have like 3 top starters in the minors almost ready to be brought up.

triwak 10-07-2011 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldjudge (Post 930041)
I would have thought that the Phillies were a lock for that but they are skating on thin ice with the Cards. Carpenter can easily throw a shutout.

I hope so! We (St. Louis) are probably gonna need it against Halliday. My nerves are starting to rattle...

calvindog 10-07-2011 03:58 PM

Jay, I wish you were right about Carpenter but Halladay in Philly? Good luck with that!

Brock, minor league pitchers are minor league pitchers. Maybe one will be in the rotation next year. And you were deadly wrong about the Yankees' starting pitching which did them in. Nova was inconsistent, CC was worse than Verlander, etc. The Yankees just aren't there. What happens next year when ARod has another bad year? And Jeter continues to not be the star he once was? As for Mo, I agree with you -- the dude is still stellar. I think he's got at least one more good year in him, maybe two. He's a freak and I think he'll retire with 700 saves.

yanks12025 10-07-2011 04:55 PM

A-rod could have a lot better season next year. He was injured this year and could get healthy once again.

yanks12025 10-07-2011 04:59 PM

Calvin,

Your making it sound like the Tigers pitching was 100 times better than the Yankees and that they threw shut-outs every game. Verlander wasn't that great like he was in the regular season, nor was fister. So don't make it sound like the Yankees rotation was horrible when they weren't that bad.

calvindog 10-07-2011 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yanks12025 (Post 930067)
Calvin,

Your making it sound like the Tigers pitching was 100 times better than the Yankees and that they threw shut-outs every game. Verlander wasn't that great like he was in the regular season, nor was fister. So don't make it sound like the Yankees rotation was horrible when they weren't that bad.

Who said they were 100x better? I just said they were better -- and I was right. Which is why they won.

vintagechris 10-07-2011 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yanks12025 (Post 930066)
A-rod could have a lot better season next year. He was injured this year and could get healthy once again.

Or his body is starting to wear down which is typical of someone his age.

tbob 10-07-2011 09:15 PM

El Birdos!!!!!!!!!
Could this be shades of 1968, Cards and Tigers?
Forget the Yankees, Red Sox, Phillies, etc.
These ALDS games were fantastic and I hope the ALCS series' will be just as good.

calvindog 10-07-2011 09:18 PM

If you're a Yankee fan, tonight's result has to take some of the sting out LOLOL. Unreal that the Phillies lost in the first round. Justice is served by the baseball gods.

T206BrownHindu 10-07-2011 09:27 PM

Cards and Tigers

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbob (Post 930137)
El Birdos!!!!!!!!!
Could this be shades of 1968, Cards and Tigers?Forget the Yankees, Red Sox, Phillies, etc.
These ALDS games were fantastic and I hope the ALCS series' will be just as good.

Or, even 2006 when the Cards and the Tigers squared off in the Fall Classic.

sycks22 10-07-2011 09:30 PM

Love to see the top 3 payrolls (sox / yanks / phils) all out of the playoffs. Rangers over Brewers is my call.

vintagechris 10-07-2011 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbob (Post 930137)
El Birdos!!!!!!!!!
Could this be shades of 1968, Cards and Tigers?
Forget the Yankees, Red Sox, Phillies, etc.

That was a heck of a play by Furcal. He still has a cannon.

vintagechris 10-07-2011 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sycks22 (Post 930144)
Love to see the top 3 payrolls (sox / yanks / phils) all out of the playoffs. Rangers over Brewers is my call.

I'm with you Pete. Would love to see the Rangers win.

Mikehealer 10-07-2011 09:41 PM

Quote:

Carpenter can easily throw a shutout.

Nice call.

barrysloate 10-08-2011 04:32 AM

Quote:

Jeff-I meant getting to the ALCS or World Series, not winning it. I would have thought that the Phillies were a lock for that but they are skating on thin ice with the Cards. Carpenter can easily throw a shutout.

You said a mouthful!!

pitchernut 10-08-2011 06:01 AM

They

may not stand a chance but go Brewers, love to see a team that has never won a world series go for it against the Tigers.

tedzan 10-08-2011 09:00 AM

Deleted

FrankWakefield 10-08-2011 09:41 AM

Hey Ted, I missed whatever it was.

Years ago I considered myself on top of baseball. Any day I could rattle off the top 10 players in each league in batting average, hits, home runs, stolen bases, usually RBI's, wins, ERA... most days I had the announced pitchers in my head. I let go of some of that while in college, and eventually most of it after having kids...

Today, I have a clue as to a thimblefull of what's happening in the National League. And if I figure out anything about the AL, it's because I occasionally keep tabs on Tim Wakefield at Boston, maybe I hear something on the radio as I drive along, or I hear what the announcers have to say during the playoffs...

I know who A-Rod is, and Jeter. And I could have guessed that Cano was a second baseman. But after listening to the announcers talk about Robinson Cano I'm astonished that the Yankees didn't win the ALDS, and on to a WS victory. Had the Tiger pitchers listened to it, they'd have intentionally walked him every time he came to bat, even if the bases were loaded... It sure seemed to me that either there was a ton of NY bias, or that the announcers were pandering to the NY fans. Maybe I just took it the wrong way; anyone else perceive undue and excessive NY hype?

tbob 10-08-2011 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T206BrownHindu (Post 930143)
Or, even 2006 when the Cards and the Tigers squared off in the Fall Classic.

Ooops, forgot about that one :o I was thinking about Bob Gibson, Lou Brock, Roger Maris and the El Birdos and company facing Mickey Lolich, Denny McClain, Al Kaline and the boys who saved a city.

triwak 10-08-2011 11:29 AM

Hells yeah!!!!

hunterdutchess 10-08-2011 11:32 AM

Bad news for us Tigers fans, Delmon Young is out for the ALCS:mad:

D. Bergin 10-08-2011 11:37 AM

Looks like Ryan Howard popped an Achilles Tendon on his last at bat of the season and final out of the series with the Cardinals.

What a horrible way to go out. :(

Sixtofan 10-08-2011 07:07 PM

Go Brewers!

And with apologies to all of the East Coasters on the board. Here is to celebrating an all midwestern playoffs!