Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Not sure if this has been posted..Mastro in the Chicago Tribune (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=114741)

Matt 08-27-2009 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhettyeakley (Post 745508)
Matt & Barry, I saw both of the auction lots you are describing. I ended up winning the McQuillen lot, and we were hoping we would be able to pick up the Topeka cabinet at a VERY reasonable price, but alas the Topeka was obviously seen by a few of the Old Judge guys so it took off into the wee hours of the morning.

I wouldn't have even noticed the McQuillen had it not included two Zeenut cards in the lot, the lot was kinda high rather earlier this week for what it was and that is when I took a closer look at the cards wondering what I was missing, and saw the "Cincinnati" team for McQuillen.

-Rhett

What are the odds? You were one of the 4 people in the chat room last night when I pointed out the McQuillan in that lot; glad you had found it on your own previously. Congrats on the pickup.

barrysloate 08-27-2009 09:50 AM

Rhett- I bid the $1200 on the McQuillen lot, sorry to have run you up.

Besides the Topeka photo, Harry Stovey was in the New Bedford cabinet. Don't you think that should have been mentioned in the description?

rhettyeakley 08-27-2009 09:59 AM

Matt, I sweated it a little bit when I saw you were talking about the McQuillen as I thought it might prompt someone else to jump into the mix, and the $1300 was my max I was going to go on the lot. I was actually in the chat room to see what people may have been chatting about, and to see if those two items were being discussed.
-Rhett

rhettyeakley 08-27-2009 10:03 AM

Barry, as soon as Rhys saw the New Bedford cabinet (which is where Stovey lived for most of his life) he immediately id'ed Stovey in the back row. Both great cabinet cards that wouldn't have been hard to identify better. Ultimately, I was really surprised about the price on the lot, but there were 2 quality photos there.
-Rhett

Mr. Mitt 08-27-2009 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orioles1954 (Post 745501)
Jerry (?)

I can't speak to their servers, but it is a two-day auction. Perhaps it showed 1+ days because you were looking at "day 2" auctions?

James

That's what I had initially thought, that I had the wrong night for the lots I was interested in, but that wasn't the case. The time remaining changed, twice that I saw, from under 30 minutes to 1+ days. It occurred on two lots I was interested in that did close last night.

Exhibitman 08-27-2009 11:46 AM

"It's not a shell game where we said, 'Let's close this company and start a new one,' " Allen said. "It's not that."

Announcer: And now, a message from Pathological Liars Anonymous:

http://www.net54baseball.com/picture...pictureid=1048

Hello, my name is Doug Allen, and I'm a member of Pathological Liars Anonymous. In fact.. I'm the president of the organization!

I didn't always lie. No, when I was a kid, I told the truth. But then one day, I got caught sending consigned cards to people without payment. I lied. I told everyone that it was the bank's fault. And people bought it! Yeah, that's what happened!

After that, lying was easy for me. I told the consignors that Mastro isn't filing bankruptcy. They're not insolvent. They just have liquidity issues. Yeah, that's the ticket!

I even started telling people that Legendary Auctions is not responsible for Mastro's debts. Legendary, I said, is a completely separate entity!

It was a woman that brought me out of it - Indira Gandhi! Yeah, right.. And she told me about Pathological Liars Anonymous. Oh, you'd be surprised how many famous people belong. In fact.. at one of the meetings I met my wife - Morgan Fairchild! Yes, I'm a changed man now, and all because of Pathological Liars Anonymous. Why, I - I even have my picture on the cover of Beckett magazine. Yeah. Every day! Yeah.. that's the ticket! Yeah, you betcha!

Sean_C 08-27-2009 01:41 PM

2 questions:

Has Turtleguy gotten paid yet?
Has Forman been served yet?

Jim VB 08-27-2009 01:44 PM

I bet you're going 0 for 2 on those questions.

zork1974 08-27-2009 05:22 PM

Geez, this thread is still going?

botn 08-27-2009 05:30 PM

Yeah and you just bumped it back to the top...

turtleguy64 08-29-2009 02:19 PM

Turtleguy has the patience of a turtle,or so it seems.No payment yet.Don't know about Forman getting served.

botn 08-29-2009 02:27 PM

Quote:

If we are going to lambaste a company lets at least get the facts straight. I got this message from Doug this morning

"A prominant dealer bid 21k and the reserve was met and it sold as detailed on the site."

thanks......
The above is post from another thread. Maybe if Doug calls Leon again, he can inquire.

calvindog 08-29-2009 02:44 PM

Turtle, I'm sure you just think you haven't been paid yet. Your interactions with a great guy such as Doug will prove more valuable than money over the years. Now if you're smart you'll spend that spiritual capital you've received in the upcoming Goodwin auction and let another great guy take care of you. Word of advice, however: stay away from mid-50s and 60s PSA 8 or 9 cards that are a dime a dozen -- they tend to go for 2 or 3 times previous sales in that great guy's auction.

oldjudge 08-29-2009 02:48 PM

When I was a kid (a million years ago) people used to sign albums for each other at graduation time. When you signed you sometimes wrote cute little poems. One was

Good, better, best
Never let it rest
Till good is better
And better is best

Does that also pertain to good guys becoming great guys?

RichardSimon 08-29-2009 03:02 PM

What a hobby/business!!!!!

All these great guys, what a fun, pleasurable time they all give to us.
It is so gratifying to see all these great guys,,, turtle too bad you aren't a "great" guy too.

calvindog 08-29-2009 03:26 PM

In the vintage baseball cards/memorabilia the world is split up into two distinct groups:

Good Guys: those that dutifully send in their checks following completed auctions; and

Great Guys: those that happily accept those checks and still rip off the Good Guys.

Peter_Spaeth 08-29-2009 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calvindog (Post 746028)
Turtle, I'm sure you just think you haven't been paid yet. Your interactions with a great guy such as Doug will prove more valuable than money over the years. Now if you're smart you'll spend that spiritual capital you've received in the upcoming Goodwin auction and let another great guy take care of you. Word of advice, however: stay away from mid-50s and 60s PSA 8 or 9 cards that are a dime a dozen -- they tend to go for 2 or 3 times previous sales in that great guy's auction.

Maybe we have a perfect storm of great guys -- Scott Scissors consigning 50's and 60's 8s and 9s to Bill, who sells them for record prices.

Jim VB 08-29-2009 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calvindog (Post 746039)
In the vintage baseball cards/memorabilia the world is split up into two distinct groups:

Good Guys: those that dutifully send in their checks following completed auctions; and

Great Guys: those that happily accept those checks and still rip off the Good Guys.

Jeff,

Where do you put the guys who dutifully send in their cards, to be auctioned off by the great guys, and then accept the fact that the good guys have paid the great guys but the great guys aren't sharing that money? There needs to be a special place for those guys.

turtleguy64 08-29-2009 06:25 PM

Calvindog,I'm going to put on some old rerun shows of the Johnny Carson show Who (whom) Do You Trust?In this business,there aren't many you can trust.
Thanks for the reply even though I seem to remember you beating me on many ebay quality cards.

HRBAKER 08-29-2009 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calvindog (Post 746039)

"These are theiir stories."

Sean_C 08-29-2009 07:16 PM

Law and Order - Sports Card Investigators Unit.

daviddbreadman 08-29-2009 09:27 PM

Funny how that Doug Allen is on this board correcting facts about reserves/no reserves and who bid/didn't bid on his auctions. Guy shows up faster than a termite on wood.

But... poor Turtle is forced to sit here with his head in his shell with nothing, no comments, nothing, just ignored. Oh wait, not ignored, Doug Allen did give him a nice sob story about why he isn't being paid.

JEFFV96MASTERS 08-31-2009 12:58 AM

Post / opinion no longer available

whitehse 09-01-2009 08:51 AM

a update from the Chicago Tribune

I started this thread because of a article that appeared in the Chicago Tribune a few weeks back. I read today that there is a resolution at least to the person that was mentioned in the original article. Look all the way down to the bottom of the column

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...7557573.column

slantycouch 09-01-2009 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whitehse (Post 746746)
I started this thread because of a article that appeared in the Chicago Tribune a few weeks back. I read today that there is a resolution at least to the person that was mentioned in the original article. Look all the way down to the bottom of the column

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...7557573.column

WOW! Glad to hear it. Didn't see that coming.

daviddbreadman 09-01-2009 10:41 AM

I wonder where this mysterious money comes from when Mastro decides it can suddenly cut people checks when they go to the press????

Peter_Spaeth 09-01-2009 12:46 PM

David maybe Legendary is continuing to make payments for their arms' length purchase of Mastro's assets.