Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Rookie Cards of Baseball Hall of Famers (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=141603)

dougscats 03-04-2016 09:03 AM

A couple of questions, Phil:

-In a case like McCovey, where there are two cards in the 1960 Topps set, are both cards considered his rookie card?

-In the 1975 set, where there is a mini-size as well as regular-size set, are both sets considered rookie cards?

-What are the rookie cards for the most recent inductees [Griffey, Piazza, any others]?

I collect hall-of-famers, and, inspired by your list, I've started to actively collect their rookie cards of late.

Thanks.

Peter_Spaeth 03-04-2016 09:27 AM

Whilst you are waiting for Phil, clearly only the regular issue McCovey and not the AS is his RC, and both Bretts are his rookie from the separate sets.

Griffey has a 1987 Bellingham Mariners card.

Piazza has a 1989 Salem Dodgers card.

mechanicalman 03-04-2016 10:05 AM

This thread, while incredibly informative, led to the very humbling realization that, contrary to my previous understanding, I have, in fact, no rookie cards.

bcbgcbrcb 03-04-2016 07:32 PM

While the Griffey & Piazza cards mentioned are first cards for each, they are both minor league cards and do not qualify as true rookie cards but are instead pre-rookie cards. Griffey has several 1989 rookie cards, with top billing always going to his Upper Deck #1 issue. Piazza's top rookie card is typically his 1992 Bowman, some like his 1992 Fleer Update.

Peter_Spaeth 03-04-2016 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcbgcbrcb (Post 1511718)
While the Griffey & Piazza cards mentioned are first cards for each, they are both minor league cards and do not qualify as true rookie cards but are instead pre-rookie cards. Griffey has several 1989 rookie cards, with top billing always going to his Upper Deck #1 issue. Piazza's top rookie card is typically his 1992 Bowman, some like his 1992 Fleer Update.

Upper Deck may be iconic for 89 Griffey cards, but Bowman Tiffany is more valuable.

CMIZ5290 03-04-2016 07:55 PM

Oh, by the way...

I have a 87 Bellingham Griffey Blank back Gem Mint. Any interest? Thanks...

dougscats 03-05-2016 08:41 AM

Unlisted RC's--

Thanks for your reply, Peter, and your qualification, Phil.

May I take it then that:

Maddux RC is 1987?
Pedro Martinez, 1991 or 1992?
Frank Thomas, 1990?

Phil, if it's not too much trouble,
Could you update your opening list to include the past 2-3 years inductees?

I'm counting seven that aren't listed: Maddux, Martinez, Thomas, Smoltz, Glavine, Piazza, Griffey.
Am I missing any?

And good luck, Sam, on your first h-o-f RC--Hope you've got one of the new ones--

Peter_Spaeth 03-05-2016 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dougscats (Post 1511807)
Thanks for your reply, Peter, and your qualification, Phil.

May I take it then that:

Maddux RC is 1987?
Pedro Martinez, 1991?
Frank Thomas, 1990?

Phil, if it's not too much trouble,
Could you update your opening list to include the past 2-3 years inductees?

I'm counting seven that aren't listed: Maddux, Martinez, Thomas, Smoltz, Glavine, Piazza, Griffey.
Am I missing any?

And good luck, Sam, on your first h-o-f RC--Hope you've got one of the new ones--

If you are looking for major league rookie cards and not first cards, then you have all three right. I think there is only one option for Pedro, Upper Deck Final Edition, but there are several options for Thomas and Maddux.

Rookiemonster 03-05-2016 09:05 AM

First major league card of any hall of famer would be the answer . Topps is usually the first release set every year . But that would answer most of your questions . Minor league card are not rookies . Just look for the release dates on the year of the rookie your looking for .

dougscats 03-05-2016 09:50 AM

Correction on Martinez?

If Pedro didn't pitch in the major leagues until 1992, then that is his rookie card, no?

My original post stated 1991; sorry.

Peter_Spaeth 03-05-2016 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dougscats (Post 1511828)
If Pedro didn't pitch in the major leagues until 1992, then that is his rookie card, no?

My original post stated 1991; sorry.

No, rookie card is first appearance in licensed major league set such as Topps, Upper Deck, Fleer, etc. Many guys have RCs long before their major league debut. The rules about appearing in a set may have changed but back then you could picture a kid long before he played. Pedro's RC is 1991 Upper Deck Final Edition.

bcbgcbrcb 03-05-2016 10:53 AM

Sure, Doug, I'll update my master list over this weekend. Here are the additional HOF'ers to be added:

Maddux, Pedro, Thomas, Smoltz, Glavine, Piazza, Griffey, Biggio, Big Unit, LaRussa (MGR), Cox (MGR) & Torre (MGR)

glchen 03-05-2016 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1511835)
No, rookie card is first appearance in licensed major league set such as Topps, Upper Deck, Fleer, etc. Many guys have RCs long before their major league debut. The rules about appearing in a set may have changed but back then you could picture a kid long before he played. Pedro's RC is 1991 Upper Deck Final Edition.

Is that the rule? I thought the rookie card rule was that the card listed the player on a Major League team? (as opposed to a minor team team or international team)

Edit: I guess these definitions are basically the same except Peter's stricter definition would exclude non-licensed sets like Panini from having "official" rookie cards.

Peter_Spaeth 03-05-2016 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glchen (Post 1511861)
Is that the rule? I thought the rookie card rule was that the card listed the player on a Major League team? (as opposed to a minor team team or international team)

Edit: I guess these definitions are basically the same except Peter's stricter definition would exclude non-licensed sets like Panini from having "official" rookie cards.

I didn't even know Panini made baseball cards so I wasn't really speaking to that issue.

I can't even follow the really new stuff, I see for example 2008 cards saying Strasburg rookie from major manufacturers but then others from 2010 say rookie also.

bcbgcbrcb 03-05-2016 01:09 PM

I have just updated my master list with the rookie cards for the past three years' inductees which were missing. I have not done extensive research on these as I had in the past because I no longer collect them and have no vested interest other than to help out fellow board members with their collections. If you feel I have made an error, please post here and we can discuss and I can always update the master list again as necessary.

Thanks again to everyone for your interest in this topic.

Peter_Spaeth 03-05-2016 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcbgcbrcb (Post 1511923)
I have just updated my master list with the rookie cards for the past three years' inductees which were missing. I have not done extensive research on these as I had in the past because I no longer collect them and have no vested interest other than to help out fellow board members with their collections. If you feel I have made an error, please post here and we can discuss and I can always update the master list again as necessary.

Phil I assume that where a player has an issue in a regular season set you intended to exclude an update set from a different manufacturer even thought it would be from the same year? E.g. Maddux Fleer Update, Griffey Topps Traded?

dougscats 03-05-2016 01:27 PM

Thank you again, Phil--
You're the Man!--

However, where is your Master List located?
I don't see the updates in the list on page 1.
Am I missing something?

This list is to your credit, even more so as you're not collecting them anymore.
You are also the authority on the rules, so I look to you for the final word.

Peter_Spaeth 03-05-2016 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dougscats (Post 1511932)
Thank you again, Phil--
You're the Man!--

However, where is your Master List located?
I don't see the updates in the list on page 1.
Am I missing something?

This list is to your credit, even more so as you're not collecting them anymore.
You are also the authority on the rules, so I look to you for the final word.

Right at the bottom of his first post.
LATEST HOF INDUCTEES

Craig Biggio (1988 Score Traded/Fleer Update)
Bobby Cox (1969 Topps)
Tom Glavine (1988 Donruss/Fleer/Tops/Score)
Ken Griffey Jr. (1989 Upper Deck/Bowman/Fleer/Donruss)
Randy Johnson (1989 Upper Deck/Topps/Fleer/Donruss/Score)
Tony LaRussa (1964 Topps)

Greg Maddux (1987 Donruss/Leaf)
Pedro Martinez (1991 Upper Deck Final Edition)
Mike Piazza (1992 Bowman)
John Smoltz (1988 Fleer Update)
Frank Thomas (1990 Leaf/Bowman/Topps/Score)
Joe Torre (1962 Topps)

dougscats 03-05-2016 01:36 PM

Oy!

Thanks for pointing that out, Peter.
I was looking for them in alphabetical order and missed the new additions at the bottom.

And thanks again, Phil.
I see there were several other new inductees that I left out.

Peter_Spaeth 03-05-2016 01:39 PM

I guess it's not clear to me why a 1989 Topps Traded Griffey wouldn't also be a rookie card, for example, since he was not in the Topps regular series. It's still a 1989 card and while it was released later than the regular issue sets from that year, if priority within the year matters we would have to research which of the regular sets was issued first and only pick the first one. Just my opinion.

bcbgcbrcb 03-05-2016 01:54 PM

After 1981, when Fleer and Donruss entered the game along with Topps, more and more sets were produced throughout the year by the card manufacturers. Anything issued during the same calendar year would also be considered a rookie card if a base card (not an all-star card, league leader card, etc.) from a set such as Topps Traded, Fleer Update, Donruss "The Rookies", Upper Deck Final Edition, etc. In recent years, there are so many and all are so plentiful that I don't bother making an exhaustive list. If you are doing a BB HOF RC collection, you may only be looking for one example for each anyway.

So, yes, the 1989 Topps Traded Griffey is definitely a rookie card example, also known as an XRC because it comes from a traded/extended set issued later in the year via hobby sources only.

pokerplyr80 03-05-2016 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcbgcbrcb (Post 1511923)

I don't feel you made an error, but would like to ask why the 36 world wide gum over the Joe dimaggio zeenut? I have heard others claim the 38 goudey is his true rc. I would like to pick up a dimaggio rc but want to make sure I get the one accepted by most as the rc.

Peter_Spaeth 03-05-2016 01:58 PM

Phil in that case I think you may be missing several Griffeys and Madduxes from your list. Griffey had at least a Topps and Score Traded and Maddux had a Fleer Update and Topps Traded. Also Piazza had a 92 Fleer Update.

bcbgcbrcb 03-05-2016 02:03 PM

Jesse:

There are 2 different Zeenut J. DiMaggio cards, one issued in 1934 and the other in 1935. Both picture him in his San Francisco Seals minor league uniform and are minor league cards, thus excluding them from rookie card potential. Both are pre-rookie cards, however, and many collectors desire them more so than the 1936 DiMaggio. You have to collect what you like but if you want to stick with the strict definition of a rookie card, the Zeenuts do not qualify. The same holds true for many other MLB HOF'ers from the 1910's - 1930's, who appeared in Zeenuts sets over the years.

pokerplyr80 03-05-2016 02:08 PM

Thanks for the quick response Phil that makes sense. I am a fan of both cards and hope to have one of each eventually. I collect HOF RCs though and a dimaggio rc would fit in nicely.

itjclarke 03-05-2016 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcbgcbrcb (Post 1511949)
Jesse:

There are 2 different Zeenut J. DiMaggio cards, one issued in 1934 and the other in 1935. Both picture him in his San Francisco Seals minor league uniform and are minor league cards, thus excluding them from rookie card potential. Both are pre-rookie cards, however, and many collectors desire them more so than the 1936 DiMaggio. You have to collect what you like but if you want to stick with the strict definition of a rookie card, the Zeenuts do not qualify. The same holds true for many other MLB HOF'ers from the 1910's - 1930's, who appeared in Zeenuts sets over the years.

I definitely get the idea of pre-rookie vs. MLB rookie cards, but then wonder why a card like Kid Nichols' N172 is considered a rookie as it pre-dates his big league career. What makes this different than any Zeenut pre-rookie card?

Will say, I'm more than happy to own either, or both, or many versions of these early cards, rookie or not... Zeenut Dimaggio, 1936 R312 Dimaggio, 1938 Goudey Dimaggio, etc.

bcbgcbrcb 03-05-2016 02:15 PM

Peter:

I knowingly included just regular issues and left out update sets whenever that was the situation. All would still be rookie cards as I mentioned previously.

For the most part all of the post-1948 HOF RC's are pretty well identified in Beckett's price guides. There are a few cases where my choice may differ from theirs, but for the most part, a collector can look up any post-1948 baseball card and if deemed a rookie card, it will have the RC designation in the catalogue. As more and more of the modern era guys start getting into the Hall that have 10 - 20+ rookie cards each, it doesn't make sense to me listing 20+ different choices so I pick a few of the best ones and leave it at that. Again, just about every choice is plentiful and easy to obtain.

The real value in this master list and the reason that I created it was for the pre-1948 rookie cards as almost none are identified in the guides, at least not correctly. When I spoke with Bob Lemke at one time about the possibility of adding some, he wasn't comfortable with doing it so things never moved forward.

bcbgcbrcb 03-05-2016 02:20 PM

Ian:

The Nichols question is a good one and also applies to Clark Griffith in the same way from the same N172 set.

My view on it is that the N172 set, while it does contain a number of minor league team appearances, has a huge following for it's Major League appearances and I consider the overall set to be a Major League set and, thusly, allow the Nichols and Griffith cards to be considered rookie cards. Others have disagreed with me in the past, I could live with it either way, just my choice.

The Zeenuts, of course, were strictly minor league cards.

Peter_Spaeth 03-05-2016 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcbgcbrcb (Post 1511958)
Ian:

The Nichols question is a good one and also applies to Clark Griffith in the same way from the same N172 set.

My view on it is that the N172 set, while it does contain a number of minor league team appearances, has a huge following for it's Major League appearances and I consider the overall set to be a Major League set and, thusly, allow the Nichols and Griffith cards to be considered rookie cards. Others have disagreed with me in the past, I could live with it either way, just my choice.

67 Topps Venezuela was mostly or overall a major league set I think, so why not Bobby Cox?

Peter_Spaeth 03-05-2016 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcbgcbrcb (Post 1511949)
Jesse:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1933-Zeenut-...EAAOSwUuFWz4lb

Don't see them with a coupon often.

bcbgcbrcb 03-05-2016 07:10 PM

Thanks for the correction on the Cox RC, Peter. I am making the change right now to the master list.

itjclarke 03-06-2016 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcbgcbrcb (Post 1511958)
Ian:

Thanks for the explanation Phil, makes sense enough. I'm not trying to complete anything, nor do I worry about the definitions within my collection, but I do have fun picking up some of the earliest examples of HOFers I can. Thanks to the board, and in large part this list for opening my eyes to some cards I'd have otherwise never gone after--- R315 Hubbell, Chong Rickey Henderson, Dietsche Cobb, Bond Bread Robinsons, etc.

JMANOS 03-06-2016 07:03 AM

1908 Morgan Bulkeley PC Hartford Bridge dedication?

I have both on a auction on the BST ending tonight (nice plug for me) This is the rookie card per Old Cardboard's website?? There are 2 variations to the 1908 PC...

pawpawdiv9 03-06-2016 09:09 AM

zeenut dimaggio

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1512020)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1933-Zeenut-...EAAOSwUuFWz4lb

Don't see them with a coupon often.

Yep I saw that one and wow!!!
I never liked the Goudey

SCP auctions had a PSA 2(MK) 'throwing' with coupon 4/26/2015 sell for 10,278, which sold in REA in 2013 for 14,220 when it was 1st discovered.
http://catalog.scpauctions.com/1933_...-LOT30683.aspx
Goodwin had a PSA 2(MK) 'batting' w/o coupon autographed 1of1 on 7/30/2010 for 4327.53 it looks like.

pokerplyr80 03-06-2016 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pawpawdiv9 (Post 1512193)
Yep I saw that one and wow!!!
I never liked the Goudey

SCP auctions had a PSA 2(MK) 'throwing' with coupon 4/26/2015 sell for 10,278, which sold in REA in 2013 for 14,220 when it was 1st discovered.
http://catalog.scpauctions.com/1933_...-LOT30683.aspx
Goodwin had a PSA 2(MK) 'batting' w/o coupon autographed 1of1 on 7/30/2010 for 4327.53 it looks like.

I agree, I don't like the big heads and design of the 38 goudey. That zeenut is a pretty cool card but a little out of my range at this point.

h2oya311 03-06-2016 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMANOS (Post 1512140)
I have both on a auction on the BST ending tonight (nice plug for me) This is the rookie card per Old Cardboard's website?? There are 2 variations to the 1908 PC...

Actually, there are at least four variations, but who's counting? Bulkeley also has some pretty cool campaign pins that pre-date the 1908 PCs.

philhjr1 10-25-2016 03:01 PM

Jacob Ruppert rookie card

Does anyone know of what card would be considered Jacob Ruppert's rookie card for PSA's registry purpose? The 1962 Topps card, does not count/qualify for Jacob Ruppert. I have been going back and forth with PSA for 2 weeks now, and they flat out refuse to allow it. They also offered up no other suggestions. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

h2oya311 10-25-2016 05:17 PM

I like this one for Ruppert - a 1901 Cabinet photo. No idea what PSA would consider to be his rookie, but it would likely be a HOF Plaque card or something of that nature.

http://photos.imageevent.com/derekgr...%20Ruppert.jpg

bcbgcbrcb 10-25-2016 06:59 PM

For traditional cards, I would also go with the 1962 Topps. I understand the issue and PSA's position, the same goes for Tom Yawkey's rookie card appearing in the 1959 Fleer Ted Williams set.

Derek's piece is far superior and is one of Ruppert's earliest, if not the earliest, but doesn't qualify as a rookie card.

It's been a long time since I researched this but I recall Ruppert's beer company putting out a premium picturing a couple/few Yankees along with Ruppert. I think it was sometime during the late 1930's, maybe early 1940's. Again, not a card, but a nice option as a career contemporary piece and not as impossible to find as Derek's.

triwak 10-25-2016 07:53 PM

That's fantastic, Derek!!

Leon 10-26-2016 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by triwak (Post 1596906)
That's fantastic, Derek!!

Agree. Phenomenal clarity.

h2oya311 10-26-2016 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1596972)
Agree. Phenomenal clarity.

Thanks Phil, Ken and Leon!

As for the question about PSA, I would suspect that they would consider his "rookie" card to be from the 1975 TCMA 1927 Yankees set, although it appears that only one Ruppert has been graded thus far by PSA.

philhjr1 10-26-2016 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h2oya311 (Post 1597015)
Thanks Phil, Ken and Leon!

As for the question about PSA, I would suspect that they would consider his "rookie" card to be from the 1975 TCMA 1927 Yankees set, although it appears that only one Ruppert has been graded thus far by PSA.

thanks you and everyone else on this, and you are indeed correct, after hounding PSA and Beckett again last night and this morning, they did claim that the 1975 TCMA is considered his "rookie" card.

philhjr1 10-26-2016 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcbgcbrcb (Post 1596891)
For traditional cards, I would also go with the 1962 Topps. I understand the issue and PSA's position, the same goes for Tom Yawkey's rookie card appearing in the 1959 Fleer Ted Williams set.

Derek's piece is far superior and is one of Ruppert's earliest, if not the earliest, but doesn't qualify as a rookie card.

It's been a long time since I researched this but I recall Ruppert's beer company putting out a premium picturing a couple/few Yankees along with Ruppert. I think it was sometime during the late 1930's, maybe early 1940's. Again, not a card, but a nice option as a career contemporary piece and not as impossible to find as Derek's.

Thanks Phil on the insight as always, I am currently having that very question with PSA/Beckett in regards to the 1959 Fleer Ted Williams Set for Tom Yawkey, at least for that one, they were on the fence on and had to do more "research" on, the Ruppert one, they flat out said no on the spot. Ill report back what the response is.

dougscats 10-26-2016 02:57 PM

Curious,

Originally Posted by bcbgcbrcb View Post

What is the issue? I don't understand PSA's position. Can you explain?
Why wouldn't the '62 Topps Ruppert [or the '59 Fleer Williams] be the rookie card? What is the grading companies' rationale?

Thanks Phil.

bcbgcbrcb 10-27-2016 08:30 AM

Hey Doug:

Although those guys are pictured and identified on the respective cards, they are not solely attributed to them but are looked at more as highlights from Ruth and Williams' careers. Good enough for me, I would stick with those two as rookie cards.

Try to refer PSA to the OldCardboard webpage for Hall of Fame Rookie Cards for Yawkey. Ruppert is not included as he was elected after 2010.

jimjim 07-16-2017 06:19 AM

Any updates for the 2017 induction?

dougscats 03-14-2018 03:12 PM

How about an update?

This is a service message for all members of Net54 who are not familiar with Phil Gary's Hall-of-Fame Rookie Card List.

As a friendly plug, I might also mention that Phil has recently completed writing his "4-Sport Hall of Fame Rookie Cards Guide."
Anyone interested in purchasing a copy can contact him.

Can you give us an update that includes the most recent inductees on this List?

I should be closing in on 100 H-o-F RC's once I get the new guys if they're not too rare.
Thanks, Phil, for your great work.

bcbgcbrcb 03-15-2018 07:45 AM

Thank you for the support, Doug.

For a number of reasons, I am no longer an active collector in the vintage baseball memorabilia arena. I have already sold off my Baseball Hall of Fame Rookies collection and still have a few Negro League pieces left but that's it. I stopped collecting early in 2014 so I have not been keeping up with the more recent HOF inductees nor what their rookie cards might be.

If someone else on the board would like to send me the updated info that would take us from my original 2011 list to the present, I would be happy to add to my master list at the beginning of this thread.

Maybe one day, I'll be able to pick back up again with collecting vintage baseball memorabilia. It was a great 10 year run from 2004 to 2014, including 9 Nationals in a row that I was able to attend. Net54Baseball was a huge part of my daily life as well, providing lots of entertainment and many avenues to further my collection.

h2oya311 03-15-2018 08:16 AM

HOF rookies

Phil -

As a recipient of a large portion of your former collection, I am happy to carry on the research and update with the most recent inductees. In fact, I’ve been doing that for a number of years already!

Thank you for all your contributions to date!!

aljurgela 03-15-2018 08:54 AM

Phil's great contribution

Quote:

Originally Posted by h2oya311 (Post 1757697)
Phil -

As a recipient of a large portion of your former collection, I am happy to carry on the research and update with the most recent inductees. In fact, I’ve been doing that for a number of years already!

+1

w600 03-16-2018 08:53 AM

A few proper changes to the list...

Alexander.. Hard for me to consider a gaming card a rookie card. I prefer 1914 Fatima/Cracker Jack

Anson...1987 N172 included

Walter Johnson and Tris Speaker... I get it if you want to consider Postcards rookie's I dont.. for me 1909 Ramly/T206 and 1909 T206/Caramel for Speaker.

Christy Matthewson.. 1903 W600 Type 2.. It actually predated Breisch by 6 months.

Wagner.. 1897 Reccius was a promo card.. Still a controversial card.. I respect the Wagner 1902 W600 as Rookie..

Cy Young.. 1890 Ryder Cabinet, 1891-92 Ryder in SCP auction now (first uniform), 1893 Pifer was actually released before Just so. They used Pifer photo for Just so.

Team Cards I also don't count..They were promo for players many times the player didn't even start with the team that year but had a picture in uniform.

Great list..

triwak 03-16-2018 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h2oya311 (Post 1757697)
Phil -

+2

oldjudge 03-16-2018 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by w600 (Post 1757990)
Alexander.. Hard for me to consider a gaming card a rookie card. I prefer 1914 Fatima/Cracker Jack

Walter Johnson and Tris Speaker... I get it if you want to consider Postcards rookie's I dont.. for me 1909 Ramly/T206 and 1909 T206/Caramel for Speaker.

Christy Matthewson.. 1903 W600 Type 2.. It actually predated Breisch by 6 months.

Wagner.. 1897 Reccius was a promo card.. Still a controversial card.. I respect the Wagner 1902 W600 as Rookie..

Cy Young.. 1890 Ryder Cabinet, 1891-92 Ryder in SCP auction now (first uniform), 1893 Pifer was actually released before Just so. They used Pifer photo for Just so.

Team Cards I also don't count..They were promo for players many times the player didn't even start with the team that year but had a picture in uniform.

Great list..

Anson has many cards prior to his 1888 Old Judge(he was not in the 1887 issue ). The earliest I know of is the 1872 Philadelphia NA composite cabinet.The NA was a major league. He also appears in plenty of Chicago cabinets that predate his Old Judge.

benjulmag 03-16-2018 11:38 AM

Quote:

Great list..

If studio cabinets are included, wouldn't Anson's rookie card be his 1874 Suddards and Fennemore studio cabinet? Here's a link to the card. https://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball/1...umbnail-071515

h2oya311 03-16-2018 12:23 PM

Here's my list for Anson:

> 1869 Marshalltown Team Cabinet Photo
> 1869 Notre Dame Team CDV
> 1871 Rockford Forest City's Team Cabinet
> 1872 CDV/Trade Card
> 1872 Philadelphia NA Composite Cabinet
> 1874 Suddard's and Fennemore Cabinet (same images as 1874 Harper's Woodcut)
> 1874 Harper's Weekly Woodcut
> 1879 Robinson Chicago Team Cabinet
> 1886 Lorillard's Chicago Team Cabinet
> 1887 Buchner GC
> 1887-88 Allen & Ginter
> 1888 Old Judge

I'll be setting up a link to all HOFers and the earliest images for each. I'm pretty sure I have an image for each of the items listed above, but if not, I apologize in advance.

oldjudge 03-16-2018 12:27 PM

Derek: also 1882 Chicago Photographic Studio team cabinet. I have an image if you need it. Your list confirms that the 1872 cards are his rookies. The previous ones were not major league appearances.

aaroncc 03-16-2018 12:54 PM

There is a couple different Stevens Cabinets 88-89 I believe.

benjulmag 03-16-2018 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h2oya311 (Post 1758056)
Here's my list for Anson:

> 1869 Marshalltown Team Cabinet Photo
> 1869 Notre Dame Team CDV
> 1871 Rockford Forest City's Team Cabinet
> 1872 CDV/Trade Card
> 1872 Philadelphia NA Composite Cabinet
> 1874 Suddard's and Fennemore Cabinet (same images as 1874 Harper's Woodcut)
> 1874 Harper's Weekly Woodcut
> 1879 Robinson Chicago Team Cabinet
> 1886 Lorillard's Chicago Team Cabinet
> 1887 Buchner GC
> 1887-88 Allen & Ginter
> 1888 Old Judge

I'll be setting up a link to all HOFers and the earliest images for each. I'm pretty sure I have an image for each of the items listed above, but if not, I apologize in advance.

I've never seen the 1869 Notre Dame Cdv, nor for that matter ever heard of it. Does anybody have an image?

Is the 1872 Cdv/Trade Card the same image as the 1872 Philadelphia Composite Cabinet? I've seen the Trade Card. If it is not the same image, does anybody have an image of the 1872 Philadelphia composite?

There is an 1874 Philadelphia cabinet, as well as 1876 and 1878 Chicago cabinets.

barrysloate 03-16-2018 01:56 PM

While the 1874 Philadelphia cabinet is Anson's first solo appearance on a photographic card, his first appearance as a professional is on the 1871 Forest Citys of Rockford CdV. Forest Citys was an inaugural team in the National Association, baseball's first professional league.

The problem is we have no clear definition of what a rookie card is.

orly57 03-16-2018 02:40 PM

Quote:

Great list..

You consider a W600 a rookie in the case of Wagner, but a postcard isn't a rookie in the case of Wajo? Other than your handle being W600, what logical reason can you give why a W600 can be a rookie, but a postcard cannot? I am totally fine with considering a W600 a rookie card because I disagree with the sentiment that the card must come in packs or be a certain size to be considered a "card." But it seems like a strange position to take when you say that an oversized premium is a "card" for purposes of assigning a player's rookie, but a postcard is not.

packs 03-16-2018 02:48 PM

In the case of Walter though isn't the postcard in question a minor league issue?

orly57 03-16-2018 02:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 1758099)
In the case of Walter though isn't the postcard in question a minor league issue?

Yes and no. The "Weiser Wonder" is a minor league PC, but the 1908 Rose is not. The Rose pre-dates the Ramly.

w600 03-16-2018 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orly57 (Post 1758096)
You consider a W600 a rookie in the case of Wagner, but a postcard isn't a rookie in the case of Wajo? Other than your handle being W600, what logical reason can you give why a W600 can be a rookie, but a postcard cannot? I am totally fine with considering a W600 a rookie card because I disagree with the sentiment that the card must come in packs or be a certain size to be considered a "card." But it seems like a strange position to take when you say that an oversized premium is a "card" for purposes of assigning a player's rookie, but a postcard is not.

W600 was issued as cards for 9 years. Nothing different than any other card company. The sets and years were defined. They were just oversized.Postcards to me are similar to postcards now. People can take pictures with there family and send letters or greetings. If Mike trout had a postcard 1909 or a page in a magazine in those years, they are not "ROOKIE CARDS"...

Cabinet Cards are a bit different. W600 are not Cabinets. Cabinet Card is similar to how cards are made now. Photo with cardboard back. Although, they have defined sets and stature. Cabinet Cards are loose ends a bit. But if the year in the Cabinet Card matches the rookie year to me its his Rookie Card.

orly57 03-16-2018 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by w600 (Post 1758105)
W600 was issued as cards for 9 years. Nothing different than any other card company. The sets and years were defined. They were just oversized.Postcards to me are similar to postcards now. People can take pictures with there family and send letters or greetings. If Mike trout had a postcard 1909 or a page in a magazine in those years, they are not "ROOKIE CARDS"...

Cabinet Cards are a bit different. W600 are not Cabinets. Cabinet Card is similar to how cards are made now. Photo with cardboard back. Although, they have defined sets and stature. Cabinet Cards are loose ends a bit. But if the year in the Cabinet Card matches the rookie year to me its his Rookie Card.

It sounds to me like you should probably brush up a bit on post cards before making such sweeping commentary. I think you are confusing RPPC's (real photo postcards) with postcards that absolutely have defined sets and years and are catalogued. Like a W600 is a defined set in a catalog, so is the Rose Co (PC760), Novelty Cutlery (pc805) etc. Real photo postcards, on the other hand, were pics taken by individuals and put onto cardboard. Those do not have defined sets or years. But there is a HUGE difference between the two. I think certain RPPCs are great, but I too am a bit bothered by the fact that they aren't from defined sets or years. I don't own any largely for that reason (though I wouldn't mind a 1915 Ruth RPPC too much). But I do own quite a few PCs from legit catalogued sets. The Rose Wajo is most certainly part of a defined set from defined years. And if mike trout had a postcard from 1909, it would definitely be considered a PRE PRE PRE rookie.

Bicem 03-16-2018 05:19 PM

RPPC's can also be from well defined sets like Bregstone, Underwood & Underwood, Rotograph, Cleveland Souvenir Shop etc.

So really two types, private one-off's like Orlando describes above and ones mass produced for sets and promotional reasons.

oldjudge 03-16-2018 05:37 PM

Hi Corey! I have the 1872 Wright and Gould trade card of Philadelphia. That was the composite I was referring to.

Baseball Rarities 03-16-2018 06:20 PM

IMHO, Rose Co. postcards were definitely meant to have been collected like baseball cards at the time. If not, I do not think that the set would have included so many subjects. Production began during the summer of 1908 and originally included 12 members for each of the 16 teams, for a total of 192 different players. They were not only offered individually by retailers, but also in team sets of 12. At the time of production, this was one of the largest and most comprehensive "sets" ever made.

Baseball Rarities 03-16-2018 06:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by orly57 (Post 1758102)
Yes and no. The "Weiser Wonder" is a minor league PC, but the 1908 Rose is not. The Rose pre-dates the Ramly.

Orlando - the "Weiser Wonder" postcard that you reference was actually issued in 1910. The original real photo postcard (without title) that is pictured below was issued in 1907, before he was known by that nickname.

Bicem 03-16-2018 06:35 PM

I know you've heard it from me before but absolutely incredible postcard.

Baseball Rarities 03-16-2018 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bicem (Post 1758163)
I know you've heard it from me before but absolutely incredible postcard.

Thanks Jeff. Honestly, that means a lot coming from you.

orly57 03-16-2018 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baseball Rarities (Post 1758161)
Orlando - the "Weiser Wonder" postcard that you reference was actually issued in 1910. The original real photo postcard (without title) that is pictured below was issued in 1907, before he was known by that nickname.

I looked for yours in google, but couldn't find it.

benjulmag 03-16-2018 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldjudge (Post 1758143)
Hi Corey! I have the 1872 Wright and Gould trade card of Philadelphia. That was the composite I was referring to.

Thanks. That though is the one I am aware of. What then is the second 1872 team card of Anson referred to?

oldjudge 03-16-2018 08:19 PM

Not sure, but would not be surprised if they are one and the same.

Baseball Rarities 03-16-2018 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benjulmag (Post 1758190)
Thanks. That though is the one I am aware of. What then is the second 1872 team card of Anson referred to?

They are the same “card.” In Lipset’s collection forever before he sold it.

shagrotn77 03-16-2018 10:01 PM

Has anyone been able to pinpoint a date of release for the Rabbit Maranville Boston Daily American Postcard? It was thought to be from 1912 for a while, but I've seen some people say 1914 is more likely.

Baseball Rarities 03-16-2018 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shagrotn77 (Post 1758218)
Has anyone been able to pinpoint a date of release for the Rabbit Maranville Boston Daily American Postcard? It was thought to be from 1912 for a while, but I've seen some people say 1914 is more likely.

I think that that Maranville postcard is from a one card set that was probably issued in 1914. Obviously, it is a very rare postcard and I have never seen one that has been postmarked. Upon first glance, the 1912 Boston American Souvenir postcards have a similar look to the Maranville, but they actually have completely different layouts as far as the type is concerned. Also, Maranville did not play for the Braves until September of 1912. Plus, the 1912 set only included Red Sox players and were probably issued to commemorate their 1912 championship team. It would make sense that the Maranville card was instead created after the 1914 season to celebrate the Braves’ World Series victory.

Jim65 03-17-2018 09:51 AM

Quote:

Tom Seaver (1967 Topps)
Seaver's true rookie card is the 1967 Team Issued Postcard, which was released before Topps last series in 1967

shagrotn77 03-17-2018 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baseball Rarities (Post 1758230)
I think that that Maranville postcard is from a one card set that was probably issued in 1914. Obviously, it is a very rare postcard and I have never seen one that has been postmarked. Upon first glance, the 1912 Boston American Souvenir postcards have a similar look to the Maranville, but they actually have completely different layouts as far as the type is concerned. Also, Maranville did not play for the Braves until September of 1912. Plus, the 1912 set only included Red Sox players and were probably issued to commemorate their 1912 championship team. It would make sense that the Maranville card was instead created after the 1914 season to celebrate the Braves’ World Series victory.

That all makes sense to me. Thank you, Kevin.

darwinbulldog 03-17-2018 03:00 PM

I'd say Speaker's rookie card is E254. I believe all of his other appearances on 1909-1911 issues have been confirmed to be from 1910 or later.