Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   REA results (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=311594)

scooter729 12-07-2021 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bicem (Post 2172372)
Red Sox cabinet was a favorite in the auction, congrats!

Thanks Jeff - had my eye on those Red Sox pennants as well, but was very happy to at least add the cabinet!

puckpaul 12-07-2021 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mouschi (Post 2172331)
Those Wagners are absolutely MAGNIFICENT! My gosh, man ... not just having one ... but both ... and sets? :eek::eek::eek: Yowza x 1000!

I think the general consensus is that Copper Plates were released before the Sporting News version, but your mention on both showing 1899 is something that frankly escaped me until you said something - great catch!

In any event, I still think that Copperplate somehow provided this artwork to Sporting News, which in turn, used it for their purposes, so mayhaps National Copperplate is a few months earlier than the Sporting News version? I don't think anyone would knock the Sporting News as being his rookie for that, though.

In any event, I would place them both as his rookie, with Sporting News being perhaps more desirable given the Sporting News pedigree, how it was released only for one day, and no holes. Maybe that's just me though, and heck, who on earth would complain about one over the other? It'd be like complaining about a Lamborghini having a slightly different shade of red :)

Thanks. For accuracy, i must correct the Sporting News description, the Wagner had been folded vertically so it is creased down the middle by his shoulders, more noticeable on the left side than the right. The photo i uploaded from my phone didn’t remind me of that detail, but in reviewing on my larger computer again I saw that. sorry about that. It still has no stains or tears and presents beautifully, but I like the correct info to be out there.

mouschi 12-07-2021 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by puckpaul (Post 2172388)
Thanks. For accuracy, i must correct the Sporting News description, the Wagner had been folded vertically so it is creased down the middle by his shoulders, more noticeable on the left side than the right. The photo i uploaded from my phone didn’t remind me of that detail, but in reviewing on my larger computer again I saw that. sorry about that. It still has no stains or tears and presents beautifully, but I like the correct info to be out there.

I'm the same way! I never want to misrepresent what I have, whether it is for sale or not. That said, the best kind of damage to have is the kind that you have forgotten about! That is, until you rediscover it again (that has happened to me a few times.)

terjung 12-07-2021 01:23 PM

Great offerings. Strong prices. Quick service and unquestioned integrity.

All in all, just another typical auction from REA.

Congrats, Brian, on staying cream of the crop!

Exhibitman 12-07-2021 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LincolnVT (Post 2172349)
Have we tricked ourselves in to thinking that certain cards are rare if they are pretty much available in every major auction offering? The only thing that has changed in recent years is the price that people are willing to pay...the cards with low populations are still available. Trade, yes...but hard to justify being a buyer for the blue chip stuff right now in my opinion...unless you sell what you have for a pile of money and then buy what you want for a pile of money.

Rare cards are not selling in every auction, high demand cards are. Rarity and Demand do not always match up. I have several truly rare (under 5 known examples) cards I would swap for more mainstream cards of the same players. My cards 'should' be worth more, and they might be if I auctioned them off, but they might also not be and finding that out would make me sad, so I keep them.

Bridwell 12-07-2021 07:36 PM

Rea

I overpaid for one card I wanted. The rest I ended up passing on, or got overbid on after I went to bed. Strong prices on pre-war makes me feel good about the direction things are going. Glad I've saved the old cards I have. Almost all the pre-war values are up substantially in 2020-2021.

ullmandds 12-08-2021 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 2172497)
Rare cards are not selling in every auction, high demand cards are. Rarity and Demand do not always match up. I have several truly rare (under 5 known examples) cards I would swap for more mainstream cards of the same players. My cards 'should' be worth more, and they might be if I auctioned them off, but they might also not be and finding that out would make me sad, so I keep them.

I also have gravitated towards more obscure, rare issues as compared to the more common...such as goudey, t206 over the years. Recently I've been trading some of these rarities for their more common counterparts...having been frustrated by the appreciation of the commoners as of recent past.

But it seems to me a shift is occurring towards these more scarce cards as the hobby matures and pop reports are a more commonly used metric of a cards value.

mrreality68 12-08-2021 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scooter729 (Post 2172371)
We always talk about REA's fast shipping, but the auction just ended Sunday night after midnight, and it's less than 36 hours later and the item I won is at my door. Love it!

1912 Red Sox spring training cabinet

Very nice pickup

investinrookies 12-10-2021 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 2172678)
I also have gravitated towards more obscure, rare issues as compared to the more common...such as goudey, t206 over the years. Recently I've been trading some of these rarities for their more common counterparts...having been frustrated by the appreciation of the commoners as of recent past.

But it seems to me a shift is occurring towards these more scarce cards as the hobby matures and pop reports are a more commonly used metric of a cards value.

This is happening for sure. Starting to see this with Ruth caramels for example. His low pop early stuff is rising and for good reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exhibitman 12-10-2021 05:50 PM

Meanwhile the T206 price nuttiness keeps rolling. HA's signature closes in 8 days and has a PSA 2.5 T206 Johnson portrait with a common back at $4,560 already.

I wonder if we are getting an inflation-spurred flight to hard assets?

ullmandds 12-10-2021 07:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My winnings arrived today. Someday rare E's...and D's...and T's...will be worth more than their t206 counterpart...in my dreams!!!!!

Kevin 12-10-2021 07:22 PM

What a top notch organization. I found my invoice, sent at 8:33 AM like you all said. I called to see if I could use Zelle and, get this, someone answered the phone! She provided me the Zelle information. I sent over the funds.

I received the card I think the next day. Nuts!

100% satisfaction!

mrreality68 12-10-2021 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 2173678)
My winnings arrived today. Someday rare E's...and D's...and T's...will be worth more than their t206 counterpart...in my dreams!!!!!

Great pickups Pete