Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   I'm Done with Net54 (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=273539)

topcat61 09-16-2019 07:23 AM

What I really enjoy about Net54 is the education from the hobby, the cards, players and stories from fellow collectors. It should be a great escape from things like politics or a job. So this is too bad.

1952boyntoncollector 09-16-2019 10:08 AM

move up the rankings

he had 8200 posts....i am at 4000 or so..so now he is no longer active i can move my way up the hit list...since he is not active

cammb 09-16-2019 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark17 (Post 1916763)
+2

I'm not even sure what Barry was most upset about: What the politician said, or having a couple forum members remind us of what she said. In any case, I think it was an over-reaction, but whatever, it's his decision.

+3

tonyo 09-16-2019 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D.P.Johnson (Post 1916679)
I'm leaving the board too.
Gonna go heat up some leftover pizza.
See you back here in a few minutes...

this one got an LOL out of me :)

edited to add, I'll miss Barry's posts..... always took notice and seems they were well written and insightful. I hope he decides to stay

jerrys 09-16-2019 02:54 PM

Barry was a teacher also and knows a most important quality of a teacher is patience. That will work here - put into words what a person is doing that is against the condition that govern acceptable behavior. Stepping aside does not teach the one in need of guidance to better conduct.

triwak 09-16-2019 03:46 PM

Well, this just plain sucks. Mr. Sloate's knowledge and insight was of great help to me, when I began my journey into prewar card collecting. I'll miss that.

wolf441 09-16-2019 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by triwak (Post 1917294)
Well, this just plain sucks. Mr. Sloate's knowledge and insight was of great help to me, when I began my journey into prewar card collecting. I'll miss that.

+1, one less member that always had something positive to contribute to our collecting community. I really hope you consider, Barry. I feel like there are a lot of us that seldom post, but love the positive contributions that you make to the board.

I've learned more from people like you, Ted Z, Pat R, Erik S, Luke L, etc. and will always be appreciative of the insight provided.

ullmandds 09-16-2019 05:36 PM

barry is/was a gentleman and a scholar...2 attributes seriously lacking from this hobby these days.

Cmount76 09-16-2019 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1917316)
barry is/was a gentleman and a scholar...2 attributes seriously lacking from this hobby these days.

+1

Section103 09-16-2019 07:44 PM

I didnt see it mentioned before, but this board has a GREAT function which allows you to ignore other members as you see fit. Of course, if someone else quotes that member, you'll still see it; but it's still pretty effective and very satisfying. I think I only have like 2 members on ignore....and wouldn't you know....well, no regrets on my side.

Rhotchkiss 09-16-2019 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Section103 (Post 1917342)
I didnt see it mentioned before, but this board has a GREAT function which allows you to ignore other members as you see fit.

Is this serious? If so, I would so appreciate your sharing how to do that. There is now one less (former) member I would like to ignore, but it is a GREAT function that I would like to put to use. Thanks in advance

Peter_Spaeth 09-16-2019 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss (Post 1917356)
Is this serious? If so, I would so appreciate your sharing how to do that. There is now one less (former) member I would like to ignore, but it is a GREAT function that I would like to put to use. Thanks in advance

User CP
Edit ignore list

bnorth 09-16-2019 08:12 PM

Quote:

There is the line on every page with the logout link. Click on User CP on the left side of the page in that same blue line.

Then scroll down the left side till you see the Edit Ignore list. Then click on it and add whoevers posts you never want to see again.

Jim65 09-16-2019 08:12 PM

Or click their user name profile, click user lists, click add to ignore list.

Leon 09-16-2019 08:12 PM

You can ignore everyone except the 3 moderators, (including me) :)

Quote:

Rhotchkiss 09-16-2019 08:15 PM

Awesome guys, thanks! I appreciate that. And Leon, I wasn’t going to try to ignore your posts - after all, you post cards and that’s what it’s all about!

egri 09-16-2019 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1917360)
User CP
Edit ignore list

Alternatively, click on the user’s name, View Public Profile, User Lists, Add to Ignore List.

KMayUSA6060 09-16-2019 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1917363)

I was wondering why it wasn't letting me ignore you. Damn...

frankbmd 09-16-2019 10:58 PM

Consolidation of Ignorant Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Section103 (Post 1917342)
I didnt see it mentioned before, but this board has a GREAT function which allows you to ignore other members as you see fit. Of course, if someone else quotes that member, you'll still see it; but it's still pretty effective and very satisfying. I think I only have like 2 members on ignore....and wouldn't you know....well, no regrets on my side.

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1917360)
User CP
Edit ignore list

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1917361)
There is the line on every page with the logout link. Click on User CP on the left side of the page in that same blue line.

Then scroll down the left side till you see the Edit Ignore list. Then click on it and add whoevers posts you never want to see again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim65 (Post 1917362)
Or click their user name profile, click user lists, click add to ignore list.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1917363)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss (Post 1917366)
Awesome guys, thanks! I appreciate that. And Leon, I wasn’t going to try to ignore your posts - after all, you post cards and that’s what it’s all about!

Quote:

Originally Posted by egri (Post 1917373)
Alternatively, click on the user’s name, View Public Profile, User Lists, Add to Ignore List.

A post designed to be ignored.

tothrk 09-16-2019 11:18 PM

Ignore function

My wife ignores me and she didn’t have to go through any of that. It’s a natural gift.

seanofjapan 09-16-2019 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 (Post 1916553)
I read the post over in the water cooler section, and I really don't see whatever you saw to make you want to leave forever. I remember that day like it was yesterday. A lot of Americans lost their lives on that fateful day. I hear some conspiracy theorists say that it was our own government that caused 9/11. That angers me to no end. People LOST THEIR LIVES. I too, am angered by the phrase "Some People Did Something". It lessens and cheapens the value of the thousands of lives that were lost that day. I am sorry to see you go, but don't let your anger about politics affect you.

Don't you sort of answer your own question here though? If a phrase uttered by a politician is so inflammatory that its mere mention elicits such a strong reaction in people, as this one obviously does, then surely it would be better for the forum if people weren't posting it?

No politics here for me, thanks.

KMayUSA6060 09-17-2019 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seanofjapan (Post 1917400)
Don't you sort of answer your own question here though? If a phrase uttered by a politician is so inflammatory that its mere mention elicits such a strong reaction in people, as this one obviously does, then surely it would be better for the forum if people weren't posting it?

No politics here for me, thanks.

Any comment in any section/thread of this forum could be "inflammatory" to the right person.

I agree with a previous poster that if politics is a known trigger to someone, why would they choose to read a thread about 9/11, regardless of how well-written the first post in the thread was?

Leon 09-17-2019 07:14 AM

For the record David's banishment is a suspension only. He will be allowed back in the not distant future. I am not so sure his comments were meant to be political. (actually, I don't think they were, now, looking back on them.)

jchcollins 09-17-2019 08:50 AM

I'm Done with Net54

It's not what happens to you, it's how you take it. Idiots in this life have been around for a while, it's not like they suddenly appeared only with the advent of online baseball card forums. Sounds to me like whoever left would have been better served by having a drink and ignoring whatever offense he could not get by. This is a fabulous place to talk about cards, and the benefits here far outweigh the frustrations, IMO.

nolemmings 09-17-2019 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1917422)
For the record David's banishment is a suspension only. He will be allowed back in the not distant future. I am not so sure his comments were meant to be political. (actually, I don't think they were, now, looking back on them.)

Sorry, I disagree. But best wishes to Mr. Sloate, whatever he decides.

Rhotchkiss 09-17-2019 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1917422)

Thanks for the heads up. David will be #1 on my ignored user list.

Ryan Hotchkiss

Jeff_cvc 09-17-2019 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jchcollins (Post 1917436)
It's not what happens to you, it's how you take it. Idiots in this life have been around for a while, it's not like they suddenly appeared only with the advent of online baseball card forums. Sounds to me like whoever left would have been better served by having a drink and ignoring whatever offense he could not get by. This is a fabulous place to talk about cards, and the benefits here far outweigh the frustrations, IMO.

I understand how important Barry is and has been to many collectors. I’ve read so much of what he’s had to share since joining Net54 about five years ago. Losing his knowledge and dedication to the forum is heart breaking. With all that said, I agree with this post.

h2oya311 09-17-2019 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 1917396)
A post designed to be ignored.

Thanks Frank! I had ignored all the users you listed so I didn't see the collective responses on how to ignore someone. Ignorance is bliss!

Peter_Spaeth 09-17-2019 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h2oya311 (Post 1917514)
Thanks Frank! I had ignored all the users you listed so I didn't see the collective responses on how to ignore someone. Ignorance is bliss!

You'd be much better off ignoring Frank.:cool:

frankbmd 09-17-2019 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1917518)
You'd be much better off ignoring Frank.:cool:

Some folks have since Eddie Gaedel walked.:D

Aquarian Sports Cards 09-17-2019 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 1917528)
Some folks have since Eddie Gaedel walked.:D

First Barry Sloate and now Eddie Gaedel? Who's the next guy to walk???

CobbSpikedMe 09-17-2019 03:00 PM

Eddie was a little annoying. :rolleyes:

Den*nis O*Brien 09-17-2019 04:24 PM

I Agree...

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1917316)

....with everything ullmandds said. Barry was great to deal with in the old days when his set sale and auction catalogs arrived in the mail box. His knowledge is very broad and he shares it freely. I hope Barry will reconsider his leaving Net54. If your reading this Barry...you will be missed in my opinion.

clydepepper 09-17-2019 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobbspikedme (Post 1917546)
eddie was a little annoying. :rolleyes:

ignore this one, please

clydepepper 09-17-2019 05:53 PM

I strongly agree with the last two posts!

clydepepper 09-17-2019 06:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Maybe we can all find a way to share our opinions and still get along?

Attachment 366292

CobbSpikedMe 09-17-2019 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clydepepper (Post 1917588)
ignore this one, please

Wait, why ignore me? What did I do? :confused:

JackW 09-17-2019 06:26 PM

Please don't leave the board. :)

CMIZ5290 09-17-2019 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1916551)
Sorry to see you go, barry...you’re as good a guy as anyone ive met in this hobby!

Agree Pete, Barry's solid...

1952boyntoncollector 09-17-2019 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robertsmithnocure (Post 1916670)
Why do people want to announce that they are leaving? Isn’t it really easy just to delete your account or just never long on and/or visit this site again?

right...we get the 'i am leaving the hobby' posts or 'leaving net 54'

bobby always says hes about to leave the hobby so not sure if thats a category..

bnorth 09-17-2019 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector (Post 1917613)
right...we get the 'i am leaving the hobby' posts or 'leaving net 54'

bobby always says hes about to leave the hobby so not sure if thats a category..

That's because he is always giving away his PSA graded cards.:D

It does suck to lose a good member and then get a bad one back.:(

buchner 09-17-2019 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Den*nis O*Brien (Post 1917569)
....with everything ullmandds said. Barry was great to deal with in the old days when his set sale and auction catalogs arrived in the mail box. His knowledge is very broad and he shares it freely. I hope Barry will reconsider his leaving Net54. If your reading this Barry...you will be missed in my opinion.

+1

Bpm0014 09-18-2019 06:30 AM

Eddie was a little annoying.

HAHAHAHAHA!!

MikeGarcia 09-18-2019 10:23 AM

Can't resist

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bpm0014 (Post 1917675)
Eddie was a little annoying.

HAHAHAHAHA!!

http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/204295...000001_NEW.JPG

RedsFan1941 09-18-2019 11:05 AM

it’s encouraging that barry is reading the board on a daily basis. hopefully that means he will change his mind and come back.

1952boyntoncollector 09-18-2019 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedsFan1941 (Post 1917731)
it’s encouraging that barry is reading the board on a daily basis. hopefully that means he will change his mind and come back.

well if he doesnt i am one more post closer to catching him on the all time list..

ullmandds 09-18-2019 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector (Post 1917808)
well if he doesnt i am one more post closer to catching him on the all time list..

Seems to be pretty important to you Jake?

seanofjapan 09-18-2019 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 (Post 1917414)
Any comment in any section/thread of this forum could be "inflammatory" to the right person.

I agree with a previous poster that if politics is a known trigger to someone, why would they choose to read a thread about 9/11, regardless of how well-written the first post in the thread was?

Er...is there anyone out there these days for whom politics is not a known trigger?

I totally agree that leaving the forum is an over-reaction, but I also think posts about an inflammatory political comment like that should be avoided like the plague on a forum like this.

biggsdaddycool 09-18-2019 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seanofjapan (Post 1917847)
Er...is there anyone out there these days for whom politics is not a known trigger?

I totally agree that leaving the forum is an over-reaction, but I also think posts about an inflammatory political comment like that should be avoided like the plague on a forum like this.

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KMayUSA6060 09-19-2019 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seanofjapan (Post 1917847)

Regardless of if there is or isn't, would it not be smart to avoid a 9/11 thread knowing your panties could get in a twist?

I agree with Leon that the comment that started this isn't political, and directly pertained to the topic of 9/11 itself. If an individual views 9/11 as political, and is triggered by politics to the point of potentially leaving a sports card forum, is it not on them to avoid that thread and not click on it? We have a massive societal crisis with a lack of accountability, especially self-accountability. It's on David not to post anything political - which it has since been deemed he didn't - and it's on Barry not to dive into the thread knowing it's a potential trigger.

To me, that's what all of this boils down to. We all loves this hobby and discussing this hobby. 99% of the forum is about this hobby. There are 2 sections that are a bit more OT, and if your focus is strictly hobby-related discussions, it's probably best to avoid the 1% of this forum that is OT.