Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   First time I’ve been ripped off (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=224900)

jason.1969 07-04-2016 08:28 AM

However it all plays out, I think it took real balls to post this. [emoji1]

Leon 07-04-2016 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gnaz01 (Post 1557995)
Maybe LL should lock the thread once this happens, no need to go on, IMO.

I saw that and thought about it. But locking threads isn't something that is frequently or casually done. Kevin (hi Kevin) is doing the right thing and kudo's for that.

Aquarian Sports Cards 07-04-2016 08:39 AM

Um, he MAY be doing the right thing. He's said all along he'd give the refund... In October. I don't see him addressing the timeline for refund issue. If he is refunding immediately then the thread (and community) seem to have served their purpose, which is great.

7nohitter 07-04-2016 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 1558003)
Um, he MAY be doing the right thing. He's said all along he'd give the refund... In October. I don't see him addressing the timeline for refund issue. If he is refunding immediately then the thread (and community) seem to have served their purpose, which is great.

Agreed. The refund should be immediate, not 4 months from now.

charrigan 07-04-2016 08:57 AM

PayPal covers the buyer for purchases for up to 6 months. Time to end the polite conversation and get your money back. Good luck.

slidekellyslide 07-04-2016 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 1558003)

And originally he was only going to refund the difference his similar ball sold for in the REA auction except now we learn that ball is in the original box and probably in much better shape since he kept it with the original box. So how could he fairly make up the difference between those two balls? How was that ever a fair offer?

vintagetoppsguy 07-04-2016 11:13 AM

If I'm reading this right (and please correct me if I'm wrong) the total purchase was $2500. We know the ball was $600, so that means the bats were $1900. Is this correct?

The OP felt that the bats were misrepresented and cut his loses by selling them on eBay. I think I speak for most everyone here, but if I made a purchase of that size and felt it was misrepresented, I would ask for a refund, not cut my loses by turning around and selling them on eBay.

A few months later he feels the ball is misrepresented and now wants a refund (and I think he deserves one). I guess the part of this that doesn't make sense to me is why he was willing to cut his loses on the $1900 worth of bats, but wants a refund (again, which I think he's entitled to) on the $600 ball? Why not cut his loses on that too? Why the bats, not the ball?

It just looks strange to have the bats shipped to a third party and then immediately posted on eBay. I understand the explanation for this, but others have said the bats looked nice. This is the part that I just can't wrap my head around - why be willing to immediately cut your loses on $1900 in worthless bats, but not on a worthless ball?

Last, if the bats and ball were shipped together (I'm assuming they were), why did Greg immediately dismiss the bats as worthless, but not the ball?

vintagetoppsguy 07-04-2016 11:27 AM

One other thing, if the bats were received and immediately thought to be misrepresented, shouldn't that have raised some red flags on the ball too at the time?

1952boyntoncollector 07-04-2016 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by khkco4bls (Post 1557992)
First of all I'm not a dealer I'm just a collector who is parting with his collection because I'm moving south next month and can't take it with me I kept some selected items for myself that's it. These items would describe and photograph for him I don't understand Jonathan what you don't get about that and what you did not see before you purchase these items we had many phone conversations not just one. I said he would get his refund that's it. I will return his money but Jonathan I'm certainly not shedding a tear over your purchase you saw everything you had plenty of photos descriptions I told you about the crack that under the tape

Is the part true about not giving a refund until another auction in October?

Aquarian Sports Cards 07-04-2016 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy (Post 1558054)
One other thing, if the bats were received and immediately thought to be misrepresented, shouldn't that have raised some red flags on the ball too at the time?

The bats seemed to be mainly a condition issue which, while still a problem, is a much more understandable one, condition being subjective. The ball however had an objective problem. Buyer claims he was told it was something other than what it is. That's fraud as opposed to a difference of opinion. If it was an honest mistake, fine, but it's still a different caliber problem than disagreeing over condition.

CxG Seven Dust 07-04-2016 12:28 PM

There's a clinic in Dallas Texas that allows you to donate one of your balls for like 30 grand. You can always recoupe your losses that way if all else fails. Lol

All jokes aside, this is a transaction gone completely wrong.

If it was a 30 dollar ball would we be here discussing this?

xplainer 07-04-2016 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy (Post 1558052)
If I'm reading this right (and please correct me if I'm wrong) the total purchase was $2500. We know the ball was $600, so that means the bats were $1900. Is this correct?

The OP felt that the bats were misrepresented and cut his loses by selling them on eBay. I think I speak for most everyone here, but if I made a purchase of that size and felt it was misrepresented, I would ask for a refund, not cut my loses by turning around and selling them on eBay.

A few months later he feels the ball is misrepresented and now wants a refund (and I think he deserves one). I guess the part of this that doesn't make sense to me is why he was willing to cut his loses on the $1900 worth of bats, but wants a refund (again, which I think he's entitled to) on the $600 ball? Why not cut his loses on that too? Why the bats, not the ball?

It just looks strange to have the bats shipped to a third party and then immediately posted on eBay. I understand the explanation for this, but others have said the bats looked nice. This is the part that I just can't wrap my head around - why be willing to immediately cut your loses on $1900 in worthless bats, but not on a worthless ball?

Last, if the bats and ball were shipped together (I'm assuming they were), why did Greg immediately dismiss the bats as worthless, but not the ball?

I agree. So many unanswered questions.

As I have stated before, if the ball is not as stated, a refund is in order. But the bat story is crazy.

1952boyntoncollector 07-04-2016 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xplainer (Post 1558087)
I agree. So many unanswered questions.

As I have stated before, if the ball is not as stated, a refund is in order. But the bat story is crazy.

I think the the guy was looking to flip and the 'cut his losses' story is the same thing as 'going to sell at the national' or 'bought it for my personal collection' it goes in the category of who cares if true or not ..

but the ball wasnt what he paid for so he didnt want to sell that at sure loss...

thats my theory...more info can change my mind but thats what my thoughts are now..

jonvancouver 07-04-2016 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector (Post 1558104)
I think the the guy was looking to flip and the 'cut his losses' story is the same thing as 'going to sell at the national' or 'bought it for my personal collection' it goes in the category of who cares if true or not ..

but the ball wasnt what he paid for so he didnt want to sell that at sure loss...

thats my theory...more info can change my mind but thats what my thoughts are now..

To put it as simply as possible, I collect SGC 60 T206 cards that (in my opinion) are graded properly. SGC 60 cards can have a whole bunch of different conditions. Nobody is perfect. So if I buy an SGC card on eBay with a blurry photo, and it gets to me with corners that I deem too round for my collection, I try to recoup as much money as I can and move on.
If I buy a SGC 60 Green Cobb, only to find out it's counterfeit, I think I would have a hard time reselling it to recoup my investment and move on.

My options with the bats were plentiful. Greg was kind enough to list them on eBay and I took a loss. The story about the bats (in my opinion) has nothing to do with the ball. And I said that in various emails to Kevin. His opinion on condition is different than mine. He thinks they are SGC 60. I think they are slabbed SGC 60 but look like a 30. We've all seen things like this before, and almost everyone has more experience than I do.

What I can't for the life of me understand is how we all seem to be skipping over the most salient point. How in the world, could someone with so much experience that they have 220 pieces that REA deems worthy for their auction, choose the one ball in his entire collection that turns out to be not what he says it is.
How is that humanly possible? He's not new to this hobby.

I have bought many many items on this forum. I've had every single deal be flawless.

I really tried to not post again as Kevin says he will be refunding my money (even though no timeline has been spoken about) but I really don't see the harm in NOT returning the bats because it was simply a condition disagreement, that I didn't even once bring up to him!

As always, I'm here to answer any further questions. I just hope that Kevin will let me know when the refund is coming.
Jonathan Schwartz

1952boyntoncollector 07-04-2016 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonvancouver (Post 1558110)
To put it as simply as possible, I collect SGC 60 T206 cards that (in my opinion) are graded properly. SGC 60 cards can have a whole bunch of different conditions. Nobody is perfect. So if I buy an SGC card on eBay with a blurry photo, and it gets to me with corners that I deem too round for my collection, I try to recoup as much money as I can and move on.
If I buy a SGC 60 Green Cobb, only to find out it's counterfeit, I think I would have a hard time reselling it to recoup my investment and move on.

My options with the bats were plentiful. Greg was kind enough to list them on eBay and I took a loss. The story about the bats (in my opinion) has nothing to do with the ball. And I said that in various emails to Kevin. His opinion on condition is different than mine. He thinks they are SGC 60. I think they are slabbed SGC 60 but look like a 30. We've all seen things like this before, and almost everyone has more experience than I do.

What I can't for the life of me understand is how we all seem to be skipping over the most salient point. How in the world, could someone with so much experience that they have 220 pieces that REA deems worthy for their auction, choose the one ball in his entire collection that turns out to be not what he says it is.
How is that humanly possible? He's not new to this hobby.

I have bought many many items on this forum. I've had every single deal be flawless.

I really tried to not post again as Kevin says he will be refunding my money (even though no timeline has been spoken about) but I really don't see the harm in NOT returning the bats because it was simply a condition disagreement, that I didn't even once bring up to him!

As always, I'm here to answer any further questions. I just hope that Kevin will let me know when the refund is coming.
Jonathan Schwartz

It so easy to refund..it takes like 5 seconds...not sure what the hold up is

xplainer 07-04-2016 07:34 PM

Yeah, good talk on the phone Jonathan.
What is the hold up on the refund...on the ball?

jonvancouver 07-04-2016 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xplainer (Post 1558212)
Yeah, good talk on the phone Jonathan.
What is the hold up on the refund...on the ball?

Your guess is as good as mine, Jimmy.
I think that with today being the 4th he must be busy with family commitments. Totally understandable if that's the case. If not, I don't know what the holdup is.

111gecko 07-04-2016 08:11 PM

payment

Gotta have it to pay it???

Dewey 07-04-2016 11:52 PM

I'm guessing he doesn't have it. But that's the problem. It's a guess because he hasn't communicated with OP (and secondarily to future potential buyers). Communication doesn't seem to be his forte to be frank. Hope for all involved this is resolved soon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by khkco4bls (Post 1557915)
I have never ever had a problem selling items to anybody on here or outside of here until now he will get his refund I got to get it together.

1952boyntoncollector 07-05-2016 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dewey (Post 1558286)
I'm guessing he doesn't have it. But that's the problem. It's a guess because he hasn't communicated with OP (and secondarily to future potential buyers). Communication doesn't seem to be his forte to be frank. Hope for all involved this is resolved soon.

so someone with 1000s of dollars of merchandise and in the business of selling a ton of stuff doesnt have a few hundred dollars...you would think someone in teh business in buying an selling has a few hundred dollars (of at least credit no less by credit card) to refund..

i got a feeling if this seller was arrested for something and needed 500 dollars bail to give to a bondsman he wouldnt have to get it together..he would have it

packs 07-05-2016 08:32 AM

Re: the refund thing, I bought an item from a big auction house which they then shipped to the wrong address. This AH made me wait until they had received a refund from the post office before they would refund me. I thought it was BS and will never bid with them again. You should refund immediately every time.

Tigerden 07-05-2016 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ibuysportsephemera (Post 1557982)
So just return the guys money on the ball and be done with it. Instead, your reputation keeps taking a beating on Net54. Again, just my 2¢.

Jeff

Agreed. Kevin- If you have such a collection of quality stuff to have 220 items listed in REA my guess is that you have 600 bucks laying around to send Jonathon a refund and put this issue to rest. Adam

bnorth 07-05-2016 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 1558337)
Re: the refund thing, I bought an item from a big auction house which they then shipped to the wrong address. This AH made me wait until they had received a refund from the post office before they would refund me. I thought it was BS and will never bid with them again. You should refund immediately every time.

What AH?

Maybe a couple members will also stop bidding with them.

Some will only bid on their items IF they really want them and MIGHT pass on something not real important.

Most will say that sucks and keep bidding just like before because it didn't happen to them.

;):eek::):D:cool:

packs 07-05-2016 09:25 AM

I will send you a PM. I'm not looking to derail. It was BS though and I'll never understand why a professional AH would make a buyer wait for them to get a refund before refunding the buyer.

1952boyntoncollector 07-05-2016 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 1558362)
I will send you a PM. I'm not looking to derail. It was BS though and I'll never understand why a professional AH would make a buyer wait for them to get a refund before refunding the buyer.

right that classic with deadbeats...if they do the wrong (and are in the business to get customers ) they should be the one waiting to collect not the person that was wronged

jonvancouver 07-05-2016 11:07 AM

Not sure why this refund is taking this long....
I think paypal works 24/7 and banks are certainly open on the East Coast at 1pm if needed.
Super professional.

Cobra Kai 07-05-2016 11:48 AM

Still no refund Jonathan?

jonvancouver 07-05-2016 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobra Kai (Post 1558404)
Still no refund Jonathan?

Nope. I'm still waiting.

khkco4bls 07-05-2016 01:04 PM

Since this works the opposite way I want my item back and then I will pay

Aquarian Sports Cards 07-05-2016 01:12 PM

Actually that's completely reasonable. I assumed it had already been returned. Even Ebay makes you return the item first.

khkco4bls 07-05-2016 01:18 PM

No problem returning the money I just want my item back

jonvancouver 07-05-2016 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by khkco4bls (Post 1558448)
No problem returning the money I just want my item back

Kevin, can you please PM me your address and I'll have the ball in transit tomorrow. Thank you.

Aquarian Sports Cards 07-05-2016 02:47 PM

Do I have to say... insure it and get a signature?

jonvancouver 07-05-2016 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 1558482)
Do I have to say... insure it and get a signature?

I will absolutely be doing both...but I need his address first. I've PMd him asking for his address as well but have yet to get a response.

Griffins 07-05-2016 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 1558337)

I got an empty box from an AH. Called them right away, waited 4 months, and then was told I'd need to provide character references before they could refund me. And the guy said "if I refund you're money I'm out the card and the money, right now you're only missing the card, so that seems fairer"
Finally got my money back, never bid with the guy again at any AH he's been to.

Takes a while to build a reputation, but seconds to kill it.

Leon 07-05-2016 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonvancouver (Post 1558450)
Kevin, can you please PM me your address and I'll have the ball in transit tomorrow. Thank you.

I guess if he never gives you his address you never get a refund? :eek:

botn 07-05-2016 08:52 PM

Jonathan please keep us apprised of any developments.

Good luck,
Greg

Klrdds 07-05-2016 08:53 PM

It only took 136 posts on this thread to get the story straight and to get the refund agreed to by the seller .
I wonder how many posts it will take now to get the address issue resolved .
😀😀😀
Glad it seems to have worked out in principle now .

charrigan 07-05-2016 09:07 PM

Charge it back. Money to you within 48 hours. Enough with the silliness.

1952boyntoncollector 07-05-2016 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charrigan (Post 1558618)
Charge it back. Money to you within 48 hours. Enough with the silliness.

good point...after all when a buyer pays he doesnt have the merchandise and is out the money so whats the big deal of a seller refunding first.

murphusa 07-05-2016 10:20 PM

You an get the address from your PayPal transaction.

BTW, the 1933 goldsmith catalog show the Atlantic ball with box selling for 25 cents

jfkheat 07-05-2016 10:23 PM

Any time someone files for a refund through Ebay or Paypal they have to return the merchandise first. I don't think it is unreasonable to ask to have the ball returned before giving a refund.
James

1952boyntoncollector 07-05-2016 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfkheat (Post 1558643)
Any time someone files for a refund through Ebay or Paypal they have to return the merchandise first. I don't think it is unreasonable to ask to have the ball returned before giving a refund.
James

I agree, but it wouldnt be the first time ever a refund is issued as good will first...after all you can always get the refund back if the item isnt returned

jonvancouver 07-05-2016 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector (Post 1558645)
I agree, but it wouldnt be the first time ever a refund is issued as good will first...after all you can always get the refund back if the item isnt returned

I would love nothing more than to return the ball but he has yet to send me his address. It's all packed up and ready to go.
I PMd him this morning for his address too. No response.

I checked the paypal transaction and it doesn't show his address anywhere.

chaddurbin 07-05-2016 11:58 PM

seller is being an ass, isn't the valuation of the ball like $30-$40? if so the seller can certainly refund the $600 first, it's not like the dude didn't just buy $1500 worth of bats from you! if you have 220 items in REA and numerous PC balls, then you knew the ball you sold was shitty...end of story.

the 'stache 07-06-2016 12:59 AM

Unbelievable. Refund him the $600, Kevin, and be done with it. Stop playing games.

khkco4bls 07-06-2016 05:53 AM

Oh boo hoo like I'm supposed to feel bad about a guy that waited for months to send the item how many times do we have to go through this that he'll get his money back so stop the nonsense

4815162342 07-06-2016 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by khkco4bls (Post 1558686)
Oh boo hoo like I'm supposed to feel bad about a guy that waited for months to send the item how many times do we have to go through this that he'll get his money back so stop the nonsense

You do realize that you're insulting and ticking off pretty much all of the potential bidders of your REA lots, don't you?

Aquarian Sports Cards 07-06-2016 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4815162342 (Post 1558688)
You do realize that you're insulting and ticking off pretty much all of the potential bidders of your REA lots, don't you?

Well, I doubt that's actually gong to have any impact on anything. I for one would bid on anything I wanted. Of course if HE was handling the sale that would be a different story.

bnorth 07-06-2016 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4815162342 (Post 1558688)

I highly doubt it will have any affect on bidding. It has been proven over and over that people will buy cards from complete scum. If Bill Mastro had a cheap PSA graded T206 HOFer for sale people would line up to buy/bid on it.