Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   I guess this is goodbye (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=269806)

Peter_Spaeth 06-07-2019 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1886473)
Never had my life destroyed. Have had my eBay account screwed with, got my share of racist, homophobic, profanity filled PMs/emails. I also know a scum bag sellers lawyer. That was just from fellow forum members.:eek:

I still like the name rule even if it has been used by the scum to intimidate the good guy(s) calling them out.

I am sorry to hear about those PMs and emails. There is no excuse at all for that.

Peter_Spaeth 06-07-2019 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenny Cole (Post 1886481)
Yes. The Brucii. I will say no more because I have previously made my feelings about him well known. I also agree that you need to take personal responsibility for your posts if you are posting on a controversial topic or being negative. IMO, that is only fair. If you don't want to play, don't post. Pretty simple.

They were a strange, complex man. I never personally experienced his venom -- quite to the contrary actually -- but what I saw was quite horrible.

And yet again I agree with Kenny, people should own their posts. It's baseball cards, not some whistleblower forum where one needs cover.

Kenny Cole 06-07-2019 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1886486)
They were a strange, complex man. I never personally experienced his venom -- quite to the contrary actually -- but what I saw was quite horrible.

And yet again I agree with Kenny, people should own their posts. It's baseball cards, not some whistleblower forum where one needs cover.

I did. And others did too. As I understand it, there was some degree of dichotomy there because he wasn't that way in person. At least that's what Barry said at the time. Don't know, don't care. The stuff he said about what he hoped would happen to my wife and family still makes me furious. I will not post about what I said about him at the time because I already did that then and it doesn't matter now, but I will say that I was not sorry, nor was I regretful, when he passed. That is the understatement of the year and that's too bad. I wish I could feel otherwise but I don't.

On another note,, this situation with Peter agreeing with me MORE THAN ONCE lately is really causing me some concern. In 20 years we probably haven't agreed more than 5 times and now this all of a sudden? I may need to reevaluate my thoughts. :)

Peter_Spaeth 06-07-2019 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenny Cole (Post 1886488)
I did. And others did too. As I understand it, there was some degree of dichotomy there because he wasn't that way in person. At least that's what Barry said at the time. Don't know, don't care. The stuff he said about what he hoped would happen to my wife and family still makes me furious. I will not post about what I said about him at the time because I already did that then and it doesn't matter now, but I will say that I was not sorry, nor was I regretful, when he passed. That is the understatement of the year and that's too bad. I wish I could feel otherwise but I don't.

On another note,, this situation with Peter agreeing with me MORE THAN ONCE lately is really causing me some concern. In 20 years we probably haven't agreed more than 5 times and now this all of a sudden? I may need to reevaluate my thoughts. :)

It's quite disturbing to me as well.

CobbSpikedMe 06-07-2019 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sportscardtheory (Post 1886471)
Do you understand what you can do to someone having just their name.

Apparently not. But my name is already on the web I'm sure so I'm not too worried about it being on a baseball card forum too. Oh well. :rolleyes:

steve B 06-07-2019 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sportscardtheory (Post 1886397)
That's funny. I'm on almost every trading card forum there is and I don't post any differently here than I do in all the ones with anonymity. This has gotten way off topic though. Which is what Leon intended, I'm sure, since there was a little heat on him in this thread. It's a tactic I've seen him use many times. Derailment. And for the record, I don't have any personal issues with Leon. He seems like a good guy just trying to get by in this crazy world. I just find him a little... inconsistent, sometimes.

The bicycle board/list I'm on requires full name, and location on every post.

On the stamp one, I can't think of anyone I see regularly who isn't using their own name. Most of them are well known dealers, authors and collectors.

I haven't really found other sportscard lists to be all that interesting, although Blowout seems pretty good most f the traffic there is in the "look at my grades" or "who knew Score issued cards in 92?!" sort of category.

steve B 06-07-2019 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrysloate (Post 1886475)
Whether or not you remain anonymous on a chat board is a double edged sword. In some places, if you post an opinion on something controversial, such as politics or gun control, you are very likely to receive death threats from someone who disagrees with you. And this of course can be very upsetting. On the other hand, if you are allowed to post anonymously, you can pretty much say any crazy thing you want, with no consequences. If you have to put your identity out there, you are more likely to post in an intelligent matter. We tend to be more reasoned and careful with what we say with our names out in the open.

You won't get any death threats on Net54, although we did have one poster who used to wish people a painful death when they challenged him, so that was an exception. He has since passed away. I prefer having my name posted, and don't like when others are anonymous. I've had my share of arguments on the board, but I won't respond to any attacks if that person is anonymous.

Leon's rule is if you offer an opinion on a person or business that is negative, you need to have your name out. I agree with that completely, but I know not everyone else does.

And, to be totally honest, when I joined, I'd read some oldcardboard emails for a couple years. Finally decided to check out the board, and was happy to see a few names I remembered from years ago. (I'm pretty low key in real life until I know people, and only used to get to a couple shows a year. )

Barry was one of the ones I recognized, and I figured if he was here the place might just be ok.
(Full disclosure, I never bought anything from Barry, just read the ads and wanted pretty much every card in them... )

If everyone was anonymous, I might never have joined.

Now don't go giving Barry a hard time over that!

calvindog 06-07-2019 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve B (Post 1886537)

I haven't really found other sportscard lists to be all that interesting, although Blowout seems pretty good most f the traffic there is in the "look at my grades" or "who knew Score issued cards in 92?!" sort of category.

And uncovering the biggest and most wide-ranging scandal perhaps in the history of the hobby.

Peter_Spaeth 06-07-2019 10:14 PM

My Ronald Acuna Jr. Collection

calvindog 06-07-2019 10:18 PM

$10 Parking Fee is Worse Than Anal Cancer

frankbmd 06-07-2019 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calvindog (Post 1886552)
$10 Parking Fee is Worse Than Anal Cancer

Yeah, you don’t want me to go there.:eek:

Exhibitman 06-08-2019 12:53 AM

Hey guys, how about a little more of this

https://photos.imageevent.com/exhibi.../Gehringer.jpg

and less of this?

https://photos.imageevent.com/exhibi...poo%20toss.jpg

steve B 06-08-2019 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calvindog (Post 1886548)
And uncovering the biggest and most wide-ranging scandal perhaps in the history of the hobby.

That's what's changing my mind.
The bulk of it seems like just so much fluff, but the good bits are amazing.

kateighty 06-08-2019 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1886493)
It's quite disturbing to me as well.

Awww Kenny and Peter, I'm getting all misty eyed. This gives me hope!