Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Any One Collect Pins? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=166056)

Vintagedeputy 04-20-2024 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MK (Post 2428143)
Here it is

That’s tremendous! I love finding things that are specific to a particular year but then to a particular day and event? That is amazing. Thank you all for your information.

I would imagine then that this was only available that one day? Or does anyone know if it was sold outside the stadium after the day? I guess I can look back and see what the attendance was that day but to me I would think that it would be a fairly scarce item, no?

Vintagedeputy 04-20-2024 05:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Somewhat pinback related, I’m always on the hunt for display cases for my pins and such. I stumbled across this one today. It’s a plastic case with a glass front and I think it would be great to keep in my truck so that when I’m out in the wild and I find a nice pin, I can put it somewhere to protect it for the ride home. it’s got an interesting snap closure. I’ve never seen one like this before.

ooo-ribay 04-20-2024 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vintagedeputy (Post 2428166)
That’s tremendous! I love finding things that are specific to a particular year but then to a particular day and event? That is amazing. Thank you all for your information.

I would imagine then that this was only available that one day? Or does anyone know if it was sold outside the stadium after the day? I guess I can look back and see what the attendance was that day but to me I would think that it would be a fairly scarce item, no?

Very weird….Retrosheet shows the White Sox playing at home on 5/30/47 and a doubleheader on 6/2/47…..no game on June 1. :confused:

Vintagedeputy 04-20-2024 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 2428218)
Very weird….Retrosheet shows the White Sox playing at home on 5/30/47 and a doubleheader on 6/2/47…..no game on June 1. :confused:

I believe it was actually a special event that they invited fans to separate from a game. They had doubleheaders on 5/30 and 6/2 from what I can see so I believe they were actually off on 6/1 and just held it as a special event.

MK 04-21-2024 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vintagedeputy (Post 2428228)
I believe it was actually a special event that they invited fans to separate from a game. They had doubleheaders on 5/30 and 6/2 from what I can see so I believe they were actually off on 6/1 and just held it as a special event.

Would make more sense that it was scheduled for June 1, rained out, played as a doubleheader on the 2nd.

Vintagedeputy 04-21-2024 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MK (Post 2428267)
Would make more sense that it was scheduled for June 1, rained out, played as a doubleheader on the 2nd.

That’s a possibility as well.

MK 04-22-2024 10:05 AM

Pretty good price for this pair.

https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com...?itemid=177320

Vintagedeputy 04-22-2024 03:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got a bunch of new pinback buttons in today and this is probably my favorite one, a 1934 Quaker Oats Babe Ruth club pinback button.

I’ll probably never be able to afford a playing days Ruth Yankees card, but this is the next best thing. It’s cracked and pretty beat up, but it’s real and it’s mine.

Vintagedeputy 04-22-2024 04:17 PM

2 Attachment(s)
These two were free ones that the seller threw in with the Babe Ruth pinback: a 1932 Orbit Gum Jack Burns and 1934 Cracker Jack Wesley Ferrell. Man, these two are rough!

Vintagedeputy 04-22-2024 04:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Another pinback in the Ruth lot that bought was this neat Tigers one.

Vintagedeputy 04-22-2024 04:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is a random one in that same lot that I bought. I doubt that it has anything to do with sports, but has anyone ever seen this one before?

Hankphenom 04-22-2024 05:48 PM

Someone got a very nice deal on this pair, I would say:

https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com...?itemid=177199

batsballsbases 04-22-2024 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hankphenom (Post 2428689)
Someone got a very nice deal on this pair, I would say:

https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com...?itemid=177199

Agreed Hank

BeanTown 04-23-2024 03:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Don’t know that much about pins, but wanted to have a nice one to go in my Cobb collection.

perezfan 04-23-2024 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeanTown (Post 2428882)
Don’t know that much about pins, but wanted to have a nice one to go in my Cobb collection.

What a beauty! And a tough one, to boot. Awesome score!

JimmyC 04-30-2024 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeanTown (Post 2428882)

That is a really sweet pin - congrats!

Vintagedeputy 05-03-2024 04:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Another find from an obscure, online auction - 1980 World Series pinback.

perezfan 05-03-2024 05:31 PM

After a brief hiatus (and a couple of surgical procedures), we are back doing the TSOG Videos. Our "return from the dead" video features the Pins of Jackie Robinson. Below is the link, and hope you enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxwYvY6bfCc

Many thanks for watching!

ooo-ribay 05-03-2024 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 2431182)
After a brief hiatus (and a couple of surgical procedures), we are back doing the TSOG Videos. Our "return from the dead" video features the Pins of Jackie Robinson. Below is the link, and hope you enjoy!

Another great installment! I’m kind of surprised a whale like you :p doesn’t have the Brooklyn Eagle pin.

perezfan 05-03-2024 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 2431214)
Another great installment! I’m kind of surprised a whale like you :p doesn’t have the Brooklyn Eagle pin.

Maybe a Beluga Whale and that's a big stretch. One chromosome away from a dolphin, haha.

Never shelled out for a Brooklyn Eagle, and now it's too late. That ship has definitely sailed.

Vintagedeputy 05-04-2024 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 2431182)

Fabulous! So enjoyable to watch.

batsballsbases 05-04-2024 05:57 AM

Very nice Mark Enjoyed it... Feel better my friend!

batsballsbases 05-04-2024 12:17 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Sometimes in the pin world you must step up to the plate and give up something to get something..I have been a pin collector for 45 plus years and had only seen this pin once.. Well now twice! Extremely happy to add it to the collection.I really dont post many buys anymore but I just had to with this one. As a PM10 collector just an incredible item.. Nice union stamping on the back.. A Gem.. Enjoy...

perezfan 05-04-2024 12:23 PM

Phenomenal, Al...

Such a beautiful Banks image, and one I have NEVER seen before (in all these years of collecting).

Congrats on an incredible pickup!

batsballsbases 05-04-2024 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 2431350)
Phenomenal, Al...

Such a beautiful Banks image, and one I have NEVER seen before (in all these years of collecting).

Congrats on an incredible pickup!

Thankyou Mark Im still in disbelief.....

Scott Garner 05-04-2024 07:30 PM

Beauty Al, Congrats!
Awesome pin! :cool:

batsballsbases 05-04-2024 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Garner (Post 2431407)
Beauty Al, Congrats!
Awesome pin! :cool:

Thanks Scott... Your collection is out of this world my friend...

edtiques 05-06-2024 04:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Just picked this up. It measures 2.25 inches. I'd like to get some opinions on whether it's real or a reproduction.Thanks!!

batsballsbases 05-06-2024 06:24 PM

Aged Reproduction Ed......

edtiques 05-06-2024 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batsballsbases (Post 2431887)
Aged Reproduction Ed......

That's what I was afraid of. Thanks Al !

batsballsbases 05-06-2024 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edtiques (Post 2431891)
That's what I was afraid of. Thanks Al !

Sorry Ed they came out about the same time the tin reproduction signs came out....

Vintagedeputy 05-07-2024 10:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Antique store find today.

Vintagedeputy 05-08-2024 04:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Antique store rescue.

UKCardGuy 05-15-2024 06:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I picked up a couple of lots of pins pretty cheap. There's some scarce PM10s in there, plus the tough to find studio pin of Vida Blue. Thar series has been tolhe topic of a fair amount of discussion.

bocca001 05-16-2024 06:12 AM

Nice Gary! I just sent you a message about one of the Giants pins.

Scott Garner 05-18-2024 05:52 AM

1940 Cincinnati Reds National League Champions pinback

1 Attachment(s)
I recently added this rare 1940 Cincinnati Reds National League Champions pinback to my advanced Johnny Vander Meer collection.
IMHO the condition is remarkable considering that it is 84 years old.

Although used sparingly in the 1940 season, Vandy was ironically called upon to be the starting pitcher on 9/18/40 @ Philadelphia.
This game clinched historic back-to-back NL Championships for the Cincinnati Reds.
Johnny was absolutely up to the task, pitching 12-innings for the win.
Vandy's line for the day: 10 K's and issuing only 3 walks, 8 hits and 3 ER.
The 1940 NL Champion Reds prevailed over the Phillies 4-3 n 13 innings...

Hankphenom 05-18-2024 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Garner (Post 2435286)
I recently added this rare 1940 Cincinnati Reds National League Champions pinback to my advanced Johnny Vander Meer collection. IMHO the condition is remarkable considering that it is 84 years old.

Great pin, Scott. I treasure my vintage Washington pins that have the little plastic players attached. I have no proof of this, but I think the catchers are rarer than batters and pitchers. And I have ones with a solid plastic baseball with a glove or bat, but I'm not sure I've ever seen a hollow one like yours. When it comes to 3-D, oddball, chachkas, whatever you want to call them, IMO pins rule!

ooo-ribay 05-18-2024 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hankphenom (Post 2435306)
Great pin, Scott. I treasure my vintage Washington pins that have the little plastic players attached. I have no proof of this, but I think the catchers are rarer than batters and pitchers. And I have ones with a solid plastic baseball with a glove or bat, but I'm not sure I've ever seen a hollow one like yours. When it comes to 3-D, oddball, chachkas, whatever you want to call them, IMO pins rule!

Agreed. That hanger is off the charts. Great pin, too!

Scott Garner 05-18-2024 04:02 PM

Thanks Hank & Rob!

batsballsbases 05-18-2024 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Garner (Post 2435286)
I recently added this rare 1940 Cincinnati Reds National League Champions pinback to my advanced Johnny Vander Meer collection.
IMHO the condition is remarkable considering that it is 84 years old.

Although used sparingly in the 1940 season, Vandy was ironically called upon to be the starting pitcher on 9/18/40 @ Philadelphia.
This game clinched the historic back-to-back NL Championship for the Cincinnati Reds.
Johnny was absolutely up to the task, pitching 12-innings for the win.
Vandy's line for the day: 10 K's and issuing only 3 walks, 8 hits and 3 ER.
The 1940 NL Champion Reds prevailed over the Phillies 4-3 n 13 innings...

Love it Scott.. A Real Beauty!

bocca001 05-21-2024 06:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Found some Giants pins. A few really tough ones I needed. And just a few extras.

ooo-ribay 05-23-2024 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bocca001 (Post 2436184)
Found some Giants pins. A few really tough ones I needed. And just a few extras.

Definitely a few tough ones in there…

bocca001 06-08-2024 07:13 PM

A's pins

1 Attachment(s)
Just picked up this group of Oakland A's pins. I seem to recall that somebody was maintaining a list of pins/players in this "set" (names in black box). IS that available somewhere? Was curious how many A's might be missing. I also noticed that there were two different Holtzman pins. I'm still searching for a few Giants (Kingman, Fuentes, Rader) from this set if anyone has some extras.

Cliff Bowman 06-08-2024 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bocca001 (Post 2440095)
Just picked up this group of Oakland A's pins. I seem to recall that somebody was maintaining a list of pins/players in this "set" (names in black box). IS that available somewhere? Was curious how many A's might be missing. I also noticed that there were two different Holtzman pins. I'm still searching for a few Giants (Kingman, Fuentes, Rader) from this set if anyone has some extras.

Unfortunately I don't think there any new ones in that lot. The last new one was a Bill Lee black box about nine months ago. I'll post the up to date known checklist in the next post. ETA you have every known Athletic except Angel Mangual.

Cliff Bowman 06-08-2024 09:40 PM

Here is the updated 1970-1975 Black Box Pins checklist.

A's- Sal Bando, Bert Campaneris, Ray Fosse, Rollie Fingers, Dick Green, Ken Holtzman (pose to waist), Ken Holtzman (close up portrait), Jim Hunter, Reggie Jackson, Angel Mangual, Del Maxvill, Bill North, Joe Rudi, Gene Tenace, Dick Williams

Angels- Frank Robinson, Nolan Ryan, Bobby Winkles

Braves- Hank Aaron, Paul Casanova

Brewers- Pedro Garcia, Darrell Porter, Robin Yount

Cardinals- Dick Allen

Cubs- Ernie Banks, Ray Burris, Jose Cardenal (CHICAGO completely visible on uniform), Jose Cardenal (closeup, arms not showing), Carmen Fanzone, Vic Harris, Gene Hiser, Burt Hooton (misspelled Houton), Burt Hooton (spelled correctly), Randy Hundley, Fergie Jenkins, Don Kessinger (batting, misspelled Kissinger), Don Kessinger (fielding, spelled correctly), Bill Madlock, George Mitterwald, Rick Monday (bat at top of pin), Rick Monday (closeup, cap at top of pin), Jerry Morales, Rick Reuschel, Ron Santo, Steve Stone, Billy Williams

Giants- Bobby Bonds, Tom Bradley, Ron Bryant, Tito Fuentes, Ed Goodson, Ken Henderson, Dave Kingman, Garry Maddox, Juan Marichal, Willie McCovey, Dave Rader, Chris Speier

Mets- Tommie Agee, Jim Fregosi, Wayne Garrett, Jerry Grote, Bud Harrelson, Cleon Jones, Jerry Koosman, Willie Mays, Tug McGraw, Felix Millan, John Milner, Tom Seaver, Rusty Staub

Orioles- Don Baylor, Paul Blair, Pat Dobson, Bobby Grich, Jim Palmer, Merv Rettenmund, Brooks Robinson

Pirates- Roberto Clemente (arms crossed, black box below hands), Roberto Clemente (arms crossed, black box on hands), Roberto Clemente (closeup face), Roberto Clemente ( closeup face, no clear plastic cover), Gene Clines, Dave Giusti, Richie Hebner (mouth open), Richie Hebner (closeup smiling), Al Oliver, Bob Robertson, Manny Sanguillen (batting), Manny Sanguillen (standing with #35 visible), Willie Stargell, Rennie Stennett

Rangers- David Clyde, Fergie Jenkins

Red Sox- Luis Aparicio (batting), Luis Aparicio (closeup face), Rick Burleson (error, photo Butch Hobson), Rick Burleson (correct photo), Bernie Carbo, Orlando Cepeda, Tony Conigliaro, Ray Culp (BOSTON RED SOX), Ray Culp (RED SOX only), Dwight Evans, Carlton Fisk, Doug Griffin, Tommy Harper, Butch Hobson (error, photo Rick Burleson), Butch Hobson (correct photo), Bill Lee, Rico Petrocelli, Jim Rice, Sonny Siebert, Reggie Smith, Luis Tiant (RED SOX only, serious expression), Luis Tiant (BOSTON RED SOX, smiling), Carl Yastrzemski (batting), Carl Yastrzemski (two tone cap), Carl Yastrzemski (RED SOX only)

Reds- Johnny Bench, Jack Billingham, Dave Concepcion, Don Gullett, Joe Morgan, Tony Perez, Pete Rose

Tigers- Ed Brinkman, Norm Cash, Al Kaline, Mickey Lolich

Twins- Harmon Killebrew, Tony Oliva

White Sox- Dick Allen, Mike Andrews, Stan Bahnsen, Tom Bradley, Ed Hermann, Carlos May, Bill Melton, Ron Santo, Wilbur Wood

Yankees- Felipe Alou, Matty Alou, Ron Blomberg, Sparky Lyle, Bobby Murcer, Graig Nettles, Fritz Peterson, Mel Stottlemyre, Roy White