Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The ultimate trade up (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=238153)

ullmandds 04-25-2017 03:21 PM

oops wrong thread!

njdunkin1 04-25-2017 03:54 PM

Anything available around 200 liquid value, Stephen? I have a Tenney Hindu T206 that I would love to trade :]

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 04-25-2017 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njdunkin1 (Post 1654367)
Anything available around 200 liquid value, Stephen? I have a Tenney Hindu T206 that I would love to trade :]

Hey PM me!!

irv 04-26-2017 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irv (Post 1653235)
When you purchase a card from someone here or an A/H, do they ask what your plans are with the card?

Odd question, imo, Jake. :confused:

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagerookies51 (Post 1654350)
Getting real tired of the negativity on this board. Stephen isn't asking you to donate to a gofundme for him to get a '52 Mantle. He's announcing a challenging project that he's taking on, just in case anyone is interested in trading. If you're not, move on to a new thread! It's that simple.

By no means is he asking for $1,000 cards in exchange for a $500 card. I participated in this trading, and was very pleased. If someone is looking for a card that doesn't come up for sale often and this guy has it, of course they are going to pay (trade) a premium for it! You're not spending any money, after all.

Exactly why I said what said! Stephen, not once, that I read, asked anyone to go out of their way to sell/trade their cards for less value, take a hit, lose, swallow, give up anything in order for him to obtain a 52 Mantle.

If people read it that way and were willing to take a loss on a card(s) in order to help him out, then my hats off to you, but that is not what he was asking anyone to do.

PhillipAbbott79 04-26-2017 06:25 AM

Direct quote. Post number 1.

"I am not picky in what I want in return. Just something I can trade that is worth more than what I am offering here."

Bpm0014 04-26-2017 06:33 AM

"I am not picky in what I want in return. Just something I can trade that is worth more than what I am offering here."

But isn't that almost everyone's ultimate goal? To trade a $75 card for a $100 card? To feel like they "got a good deal"? Like, that isn't a new concept...

irv 04-26-2017 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhillipAbbott79 (Post 1654521)
Direct quote. Post number 1.

Like what has been mentioned more than once, if you have a card that you no longer want or see a card that you want more and are willing to trade/sell, then lets do a deal.

I highly doubt anyone has traded/sold him a card and taken a loss in order to help him out with his quest.

Maybe I'm wrong, and like I mentioned, if you did then my hat is off to you as that is truly admirable, but that is not what he was asking anyone to do.

rats60 04-26-2017 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irv (Post 1654539)
Like what has been mentioned more than once, if you have a card that you no longer want or see a card that you want more and are willing to trade/sell, then lets do a deal.

I highly doubt anyone has traded/sold him a card and taken a loss in order to help him out with his quest.

Maybe I'm wrong, and like I mentioned, if you did then my hat is off to you as that is truly admirable, but that is not what he was asking anyone to do.

Isn't the whole point of this thread that you have to take a loss to trade with him? So, everyone who trades with him is taking a loss to help him out.

jhs5120 04-26-2017 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rats60 (Post 1654544)
Isn't the whole point of this thread that you have to take a loss to trade with him? So, everyone who trades with him is taking a loss to help him out.

Imagine you have a lot worth $700-$1,100. This may be a high grade common, a mixed lot of random cards or an obscure issue. You trade that lot to Stephen for a single card worth $750. This may be a single, more liquid card. You are getting a fair trade (albeit on the lower end of the lots worth), but still a fair trade.

Then, Stephen trades that lot worth $700-$1,100 for a single card (or group of liquid cards) worth ~$1,000. He is still making a fair trade. Then Stephen trades his card worth $1,000 for a lot of cards worth $900-$1,500. Still a fair trade. Repeat this process 15-20 times.

No charity, all fair trades and no one is being asked to take a loss. It's a lot of work for Stephen, a ton of fun to watch and even more fun to participate in the trading. Sit back and enjoy my friend, we are all card collectors here.
Jason

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 04-26-2017 07:36 AM

It's funny that people can't get the world old concept of trading. When a accountant does a landscapers taxes in return for lawn work, do they sit down and analyze "well I usually charge $3,000 a year for taxes, and you charge $2200 for lawns, so just give me $800 cash and we will call it even". No. Both parties win. The accountant usually charges 3K, however is not paying a penny out of his pocket for his lawn, so it's a clear win for him. While the landscaper is winning, he is still doing all the manual labor which is harder than accounting. In this case I am the landscaper. I am making off on the deal money wise, but people who are trading with me could care less because they are getting what they need. I then must put in the leg work and labor of selling the harder to sell cards.

The fact that I had to waste 10 minutes writing this is what annoys me. It's so obvious. It's trading. I said it once and I'll say it a million times.... A trade doesn't have to be fair if it makes sense.