Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   PSA has stopped accepting submissions (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=299555)

Fuddjcal 03-31-2021 04:24 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Casey2296 (Post 2087701)
Agreed. Did you catch Barret-Jackson last week? Thursday and Friday usually pretty sedate, this year it was weekend prices from the get go, 75k cards going for 200k, the commentators were blown away. This isn't going to end until it ends badly.

somebody offered me 100, then 125 and finally 150K the other day on a drive around the block in the Resto Mod. It was tough not to say "Here's the Keys fatso". He said it would cost him 200 to build it today if he could find someone to do it. There is a year wait at most good builders. VROOOOMMMMMM

D. Bergin 03-31-2021 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuddjcal (Post 2088034)
somebody offered me 100, then 125 and finally 150K the other day on a drive around the block in the Resto Mod. It was tough not to say "Here's the Keys fatso". He said it would cost him 200 to build it today if he could find someone to do it. There is a year wait at most good builders. VROOOOMMMMMM

Still less time then it takes PSA to get your cards back to you.

Zing!

I'm here all night folks!

bnorth 03-31-2021 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuddjcal (Post 2088034)

Nice ride Chuck. My uncle had a white/blue 74 with the HO 455. My cousin and I used to beat the hell out of it back in the day.:D

Fred 03-31-2021 06:29 PM

I'm not a PSA fan but I don't think this is going to change anything as far as collectors opinions are concerned. PSA will be the desired slab for most people that like TPG flips.

hockeyhockey 03-31-2021 06:51 PM

i'm still not caught up on the registry thing - what's the point of it? is it just people registering their collection online?

bnorth 03-31-2021 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyhockey (Post 2088101)
i'm still not caught up on the registry thing - what's the point of it? is it just people registering their collection online?

It's never too late to get into it.:D

It is basically a dick measuring contest for most. Others it is a nice way to keep track of your collection.

mark evans 03-31-2021 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 2088106)

It is basically a dick measuring contest for most. Others it is a nice way to keep track of your collection.

Pretty funny. I can think of several less costly, and more accurate, measuring methods.

hockeyhockey 03-31-2021 07:43 PM

Quote:

:D

i was gonna say that, but you went and said it for me

Rhotchkiss 03-31-2021 07:59 PM

Quote:

I have one set registered with PSA - my t206 set. Why? 100% a dick flaunt. I admit it, guilty. And god damn is it addictive. PSA’s registry is absolutely brilliant.

I add, I am not really a set guy. I only own two other complete sets - E104–II pirates (mix of SGC and PSA) and 1906 Lincoln Publishing (all SGC, but I bought it this way). I am far along on a D304 set (mix of SGC and PSA). No thought of/care for the PSA registry for these. I collect cards in both slabs. All things equal, I prefer my rare stuff in SGC slabs (bc SGC is much more knowledgeable/better) and more “commodity” cards in PSA (bc of value). But generally speaking, I will buy a card in either flip if I like the card. I will not buy 1950 or older cards in any other flip.

Johnny630 04-01-2021 06:57 AM

https://gosgc.com/update-20210401?fb...Xe6-kH_7V9UFlI

I called it above

Dardevl 04-01-2021 07:41 AM

Are Tickets and Autos included?

Does anyone know if tickets and/or autographs are included?

Wimberleycardcollector 04-01-2021 07:51 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Vintage cars and baseball cards. Oh yeah. Two of mine.

Tyruscobb 04-01-2021 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny630 (Post 2088221)

Surely, this is an April Fools' joke. $75.00 a card?

Edit: No, it is now legitimately $75.00 a card.

Wow - just a 400% increase from the $15.00 a card just a month ago. I'm in the wrong business!

36GoudeyMan 04-01-2021 08:08 AM

So it goes

We know that PSA cannot reliably detect trimming. The stories here and elsewhere demonstrate that beyond any real argument. Yet there is such a demand for PSA grading, despite its demonstrated unreliability, that they have to close their doors to new business.

SGC rolls out its "new" website, kills its Registry (such as it was, at least you could somewhat track your own inventory), and, after ceremoniously announcing it was largely caught up with demand, jacks its prices up 200% immediately after PSA announces its temporary shuttered doors.

Beckett seems to have no traction in the graded pre-war card market (not sure, I don't follow BVG or Beckett on eBay).

CSG is a new kid on the block with some pedigree, but seems not to be able yet to grade anything after 1980 all that well. Yet. Its prices fetched seem to reflect the market not the quality of their work, but we'll see.

Submitting anything but reliably high-value cards is now out of reach. People like me, who don't rip open boxes of shiny new basketball cards from boxes snuck out the back of WalMart are left pretty much with nowhere to turn.

COVID or none, the card collecting marketplace has now, I think, been irretrievably changed, and not for the better. On top of all the other losses and disappointments of the last year, the adverse changes to the hobby I've loved for over 50 years is truly disheartening.

bnorth 04-01-2021 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyruscobb (Post 2088247)
Surely, this is an April Fools' joke. $75.00 a card?

Edit: No, it is now legitimately $75.00 a card.

Wow - just a 400% increase from the $15.00 a card just a month ago. I'm in the wrong business!

So has anyone actually started a submission today to see if it is a company trying to be funny with a April fools joke?

If not good for them if they can get a minimum of $75 a card. Raising the prices makes way more sense that hiring/training a bunch of people they will just have to lay off once all the new investors/collectors drop the hobby like a hot rock when they return to normal activities.

Rich Klein 04-01-2021 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 2088255)
So has anyone actually started a submission today to see if it is a company trying to be funny with a April fools joke?

If not good for them if they can get a minimum of $75 a card. Raising the prices makes way more sense that hiring/training a bunch of people they will just have to lay off once all the new investors/collectors drop the hobby like a hot rock when they return to normal activities.

I hear this is NOT an April Fools joke but a real response.

Rich

bnorth 04-01-2021 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Klein (Post 2088311)
I hear this is NOT an April Fools joke but a real response.

Rich

Thanks for the confirmation Rich.

I was going to start a sub to see if it was a joke or not. Then they asked for my password and it has been so long since my last sub I couldn't remember it.

GasHouseGang 04-01-2021 11:23 AM

PSA announced today that they have stopped grading cards and will now just sell the sealed slabs with grades attached. Joe Orlando stated, “Here at PSA, we began to realize that the real value is in the PSA slab itself, and it doesn’t really matter what card is in the slab. Plus, grading cards is really difficult and very time consuming. We were falling behind in grading our submissions, so we finally decided to stop grading cards. I mean really, what’s the point?”

“From now on going forward, our customers can order a slab with a card identifier and grade they would like. So say you always wanted a 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle in a PSA 6 slab, just order the slab you want! Now you don’t have to wade through those giant auction catalogs any longer looking for that elusive PSA slab you need. Just order it directly from PSA! We are currently working out the pricing, and basing it on the latest completed auctions for cards sold in our PSA slabs. Look for a price list to come out soon.”

APRIL FOOLS! (I hope):rolleyes:

bnorth 04-01-2021 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GasHouseGang (Post 2088343)
PSA announced today that they have stopped grading cards and will now just sell the sealed slabs with grades attached. Joe Orlando stated, “Here at PSA, we began to realize that the real value is in the PSA slab itself, and it doesn’t really matter what card is in the slab. Plus, grading cards is really difficult and very time consuming. We were falling behind in grading our submissions, so we finally decided to stop grading cards. I mean really, what’s the point?”

“From now on going forward, our customers can order a slab with a card identifier and grade they would like. So say you always wanted a 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle in a PSA 6 slab, just order the slab you want! Now you don’t have to wade through those giant auction catalogs any longer looking for that elusive PSA slab you need. Just order it directly from PSA! We are currently working out the pricing, and basing it on the latest completed auctions for cards sold in our PSA slabs. Look for a price list to come out soon.”

APRIL FOOLS! (I hope):rolleyes:

That is funny. I remember when a very similar thing was said about GAI. They would send you the slab, flip, and slab sealer so you could slab your own card. When done you would put the sealer back in the box and mark it "wrong address return to sender" to save on shipping.:D:D:D

Fuddjcal 04-01-2021 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wimberleycardcollector (Post 2088246)
Vintage cars and baseball cards. Oh yeah. Two of mine.

VERY NICE, but are they graded? I think there is an auto grader AGA? You'll need them to sub, so they pop in the registry, otherwise they are fake....and no fun.

Frankish 04-03-2021 08:51 PM

I know this is slightly off base, but is PSA still accepting photo authentication and other submissions? Tried to make out a submission form today, but no matter how I played with it, couldn't get the website to generate a submission number, just a blank submission form....

PS: Definitely envy those cars. I drive a minivan. :P

Dardevl 04-04-2021 07:58 AM

It seems like my ticket submission is still possible at reasonable prices, so maybe it's just cards?

I am curious about photos, as well.

D. Bergin 04-04-2021 09:48 AM

Photos get sent to a completely different place, so can't imagine they have a backlog there. Got my photo submission back in a few weeks last summer, while they were completely swamped with cards.

vthobby 04-04-2021 10:04 AM

Photos are good....

No shutdown on photos.

https://www.psacard.com/services/ori...authentication

As always, you need to print out your submission form as it's not done online like cards.

Photos are sent to NJ. I just got a few back in 3 weeks.

Mike

Exhibitman 04-04-2021 01:07 PM

Perhaps someone can answer this for me: if you send PSA a photo that is smaller than 8 x 10, like a snapshot, does it go into a smaller holder?

Dardevl 04-04-2021 01:16 PM

Yes, they slab it in the smallest holder possible. Many tallboys.

Frankish 04-04-2021 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vtgmsc (Post 2089458)
No shutdown on photos.

https://www.psacard.com/services/ori...authentication

As always, you need to print out your submission form as it's not done online like cards.

Thanks, Mike. That's what I was hoping. Hopefully you don't mind helping out a complete novice in the photo space, but when I print the form it comes with a notice:

PLEASE ENTER YOUR REFERENCE NUMBER BELOW, OR OPEN IN ADOBE ACROBAT TO GENERATE NUMBER

Where do I get this reference number before filling out the form? Opening in acrobat doesn't seem to generate a number for me. Any help is appreciated....

vthobby 04-04-2021 07:54 PM

Not sure!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankish (Post 2089688)
Thanks, Mike. That's what I was hoping. Hopefully you don't mind helping out a complete novice in the photo space, but when I print the form it comes with a notice:

PLEASE ENTER YOUR REFERENCE NUMBER BELOW, OR OPEN IN ADOBE ACROBAT TO GENERATE NUMBER

Where do I get this reference number before filling out the form? Opening in acrobat doesn't seem to generate a number for me. Any help is appreciated....

I'm not sure? When I open a submission form for photos, it opens and does not show me that warning. A Submission number is generated in top right corner for me.

Looks like this:

ORIGINAL PHOTOGRAPH SUBMISSION # 2606541
Visit PSAcard.com for current information including turnaround times, pricing, etc

A way around this for you would be simple. Print the submission form off their site. I'll generate a submission number for you by simply opening a form. I'll pm you that number. I will NOT use that number so it will be unique for you.

Sorry I do not have a better solution.

Mike

Frankish 04-04-2021 08:25 PM

Mike, thank you for the kind offer. I tried a different browser and got it to generate the submission number. Hope I didn't waste too much of your time.

vthobby 04-04-2021 10:14 PM

Awesome!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankish (Post 2089709)
Mike, thank you for the kind offer. I tried a different browser and got it to generate the submission number. Hope I didn't waste too much of your time.

Glad to help! Good luck with your photos! They will eventually load on the PSA site in your account under "My Orders".

They seem slow to load like everything but the order will show on their site eventually.

The only thing different is there will be no status tracker like if you sent them sportscards but they will upload tracking once it ships back to you.

Peace, Mike

steve B 04-05-2021 11:59 AM

Are they still doing packs?

Scocs 04-05-2021 02:32 PM

Yes they are still grading packs, but only at the “Super Express” level and above.

steve B 04-05-2021 08:45 PM

That's not one of the options they show...

https://www.net54baseball.com/pictur...ictureid=30352

As much as I dislike them I have a couple packs I need to get done if it can be done affordably.

Scocs 04-05-2021 09:39 PM

Guess I confused packs with cards

bobbyw8469 04-06-2021 06:57 AM

Yea....looks like packs aren't the issue. Only cards.