Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Absurd PWCC Shipping Cost........BEWARE (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=254931)

Stampsfan 05-17-2018 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfkheat (Post 1777076)
I have bought cards from PWCC before and waited to pay because there is something else ending a day or two later that I also want. They have always combined shipping. If you win a card and pay that day then a day or two later win another one that won't combine because the first one is already packed and probably shipped.
James

As strictly a buyer on eBay, I read a lot of threads here on lousy buyers. When I buy something, I try to pay for it within 24 hours. Now you're telling me I should hold off paying because I'm paying more for doing that?

If the case is PWCC will combine shipping on items bought over a few days, then document that fact.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsalem (Post 1777395)
I will chime in and just going off the top of my head here...
I ship to Canada a lot!
Up 1-8 oz is approx $10(sometimes less) with tracking door to door to Canada
9oz to 15 oz I think is around $14 with tracking. 1 pound on up it gets real expensive.
These prices do not include signature or insurance, just delivery confirmation

As I said earlier, it simply feels like a cash grab. It is based on the estimated value of the card. A $20 PSA 8 and a $2,000 PSA 8 would be the same cost for shipping (without insurance), as it's the same packaging!!!!

Not that long ago PWCC shipping rates were reasonable. Now, not so much. UPS shipping rates have not gone up equally to the rates PWCC charges. And to confirm what Dale said , they are much higher than the outrageous Global Shipping Program.

Now if we are talking insurance, I looked up the posted UPS insurance rates for both domestic and international shipping. It is .90 (cents) per $100 of insurance (minimum of $2.40). Basically 1% of the value. So based on my example, the $20 PSA 8 costs $2.40 for insurance, and the $2000 PSA 8 costs $18 for insurance. PWCC shipping costs are way above this differential.

To quote someone earlier, I am pretty good at math too, and this does not add up to anything other than a cash grab.

frankbmd 05-17-2018 12:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
:D
Quote:

Originally Posted by calvindog (Post 1777511)
LOL just pictured a very long hook yanking him off stage.

Quote:

Originally Posted by calvindog (Post 1777512)
He decided to take advertising into his own hands.

A two tool mod

First the Hammer

Then the Hook:D

Attachment 316360

jfkheat 05-17-2018 06:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampsfan (Post 1777602)
As strictly a buyer on eBay, I read a lot of threads here on lousy buyers. When I buy something, I try to pay for it within 24 hours. Now you're telling me I should hold off paying because I'm paying more for doing that?

If the case is PWCC will combine shipping on items bought over a few days, then document that fact.

My last PWCC purchase were April 15th and 16th. The first card shipping was $4. The second was $6. I waited until the 16th to pay. Total shipping I paid was $7. I used eBay Bucks as part of the payment.
James

https://www.ebay.com/itm/401518567345

https://www.ebay.com/itm/401518085756

Peter_Spaeth 05-17-2018 06:59 AM

I was charged $12 on a recent purchase of a single card (oversized) under $300, but I just factored it into my bid so it was irrelevant really.

irv 05-17-2018 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glynparson (Post 1777246)
This is not correct from what I just read you are absolutely allowed to charge a handling fee making it more than actual shipping costs. They will step in if charges are way out of line but saying you can not charge more than exact shipping is wrong

The only way I would allow shipping costs to deter me from bidding is if it made the card more than I wanted to spend. I don’t find addition and subtraction that difficult so I just factor the shipping cost into my bids.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1777646)
I was charged $12 on a recent purchase of a single card (oversized) under $300, but I just factored it into my bid so it was irrelevant really.

What an eye opener it was when I got this addition/subtraction thing figured out just over a year ago. I learned that $20 + $20 (Card and shipping fee) equalled $40! Who knew? :D

frankbmd 05-17-2018 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irv (Post 1777741)
What an eye opener it was when I got this addition/subtraction thing figured out just over a year ago. I learned that $20 + $20 (Card and shipping fee) equalled $40! Who knew? :D

It’s only the beginning, Irv, wait until you learn how quantum physics can reduce your shipping costs.:eek:

irv 05-17-2018 06:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 1777825)
It’s only the beginning, Irv, wait until you learn how quantum physics can reduce your shipping costs.:eek:

My book is ordered, Frank. I am eagerly awaiting its arrival with unmitigated glee in anticipation of how much knowledge I am going to gather from the pages within! :D

Peter_Spaeth 05-17-2018 06:09 PM

You may learn to concatenate.

irv 05-17-2018 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1777850)
You may learn to concatenate.

I have trouble concentrating, let alone concatenating.

bounce 05-19-2018 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampsfan (Post 1777047)
The good is their shipping is quick. The bad is if you win another item the next day, it's another full shipping charge.

This is false. Below is directly from their current descriptions:
"The chart below describes the shipping cost for multiple cards purchased from the same auction.."

I'm pretty confident that "same auction" means the entire auction that is currently being run. Right now, they are running "2018 Premier Auction #4", and the different categories end on different days from 5/9 to 5/29.

They have always combined shipping for me for multiple wins, and across timelines that have spanned at least a week and sometimes more. I know in the past I've won cards in the 1887-1950 baseball, and then later in the 1888-1986 football, and had both shipped to me in one package under a combined rate. With the current auction, that's 13 days apart on end date.

They are very responsive to questions, so if you're ever in doubt just drop them a note through the eBay messaging system, tell them what you've won and what days have items you're still bidding on, and I'm sure they'll tell you it's fine and just let them know when you're done so they can send you a combined invoice.

I do know that they also use the "reminders" that eBay sends requesting payment after a few days, but that's just automated messaging based on those settings - it's not them trying to track you down to hurry up and pay. Again, if in doubt just drop them a message explaining your time line.

Back to the topic...I think what they do with cards is pretty good, obviously it's their main expertise and I've never felt the charges were exorbitant, especially when multiple cards were won. However, I don't think they're quite as accurate with some of the larger items.

Specifically, they had some autographed Heisman mini-helmets in the March auction. I won four them. Individual shipping per item was listed at $20 (which is absolutely crazy for a mini-helmet, that's easily twice what it really costs). They did combine shipping for me on all four, but that was still $40 (which is still crazy for four mini-helmets). They come 6 per box from Riddell, most eBay sellers charge $12-15 for the 6-pack.

I did factor the shipping into my bids, but after I won the first one I didn't worry as much about the combined shipping, even though it definitely ended up more than I thought it should have been. This one instance was bad, but in context of several dozen over the years it's not terrible. I'm sure if I said something next time they'd probably work with me.

Regarding Canada...I do feel bad for you guys, but it's not a straight forward issue. Customs alone is beyond any seller's control, and the PayPal refund guidelines don't assist much in that regard as I recall. I stopped shipping to Canada a few years ago now because of it, and would only consider now using the Global Shipping platform (which is pretty expensive I think). In the end, seems to me that trying to make Canada shipping work requires either an expensive card ($1,000 or more maybe) or several items at a time. One $12-20 card at a time just seems like a non-starter.

Stampsfan 05-20-2018 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bounce (Post 1778250)
This is false...

Sorry, David, but it did happen to me. Not sure how you can abjectly say it's not true when you simply don't know my circumstances.

As I explained earlier in this thread, it may be because I always try to pay the seller right away, which I did in my example. In the last auction, I paid immediately, which seems to have been my mistake.

I believe next time I will hold back on payment until the entire auction is done, as that's what my learning is with PWCC.

sterlingfox 06-12-2018 12:48 PM

I just had my own run-in with Bobby Rittenhouse of PWCC.

Last night, I won 6 cards totaling $153 before shipping. 5 the auctions had a shipping charge of $6, with the last being $4. Those 5 auctions with the $6 shipping charge had Mid-Sized SGC and PSA slabs. The one with the $4 charge was a standard sized PSA slab.

I was initially invoiced with a $30 combined shipping charge, which was then "reduced" to $20 with the help of Bobby Rittenhouse. He claims this is the correct charge. Absolutely ridiculous.

How does PWCC get away with this kind of gouging on the shipping cost? I've done tons of business with them over the past three and a half years and have always gotten charged fairly for combined shipping, even on orders with multiple medium and large sized slabs, until now.

Is anyone else in the same situation?

conor912 06-12-2018 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sterlingfox (Post 1786066)

Last night, I won 6 cards totaling $153 before shipping. 5 the auctions had a shipping charge of $6, with the last being $4. Those 5 auctions with the $6 shipping charge had Mid-Sized SGC and PSA slabs. The one with the $4 charge was a standard sized PSA slab.

I was initially invoiced with a $30 combined shipping charge, which was then "reduced" to $20 with the help of Bobby Rittenhouse. He claims this is the correct charge. Absolutely ridiculous.

How does PWCC get away with this kind of gouging on the shipping cost? I've done tons of business with them over the past three and a half years and have always gotten charged fairly for combined shipping, even on orders with multiple medium and large sized slabs, until now.

Speak with your wallet.

sterlingfox 06-12-2018 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by conor912 (Post 1786078)
Speak with your wallet.

Duly noted.

I just don't want anyone else to get caught in the same situation.

Their "combined" shipping is now a joke. Expect to get fleeced!

irv 06-12-2018 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sterlingfox (Post 1786066)

It seems odd that some of you stateside pay differently than others. I assumed, based on the info within this thread, that everyone would pay the same but that clearly isn't the case it seems?

Like I mentioned somewhere in this thread, they are just winging it and their shipping fees are nowhere near what it costs them despite some defending them and justifying shipping costs, insurance, packaging, etc. They are clearly pocketing money, which is against E-Bay rules, but I assume those rules don't apply to everyone, or maybe no one? :confused: